Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Distressed leather

campbell166

New in Town
Hello, sorry if this has been already asked and answered
I have a lovely soft leather jacket, but it is so shiny it looks like plastic or pvc
Any advice on what I can do to make it have more of a Matt finish ?
Thanks folks

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Just wear it. Usually shiny leather will naturally lose some of its luster after you've knocked the new out of it.

Resist temptation to accelerate the process. If you want to accelerate it, wear it more.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Just wear it as much as possible - for doing chores, gardening, out for walks - all this will have an impact. I occasionally spritz new new jackets with some water but try to resist the temptation to accelerate the process too much because it will look obvious (at least to the eagle eyed folk on this forum)

campbell166

New in Town
Thanks guys
I have had this jacket for 2 or 3 years and it never seems to change
It’s been exposed to rain and snow , but still feels soft and shiny lol

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Throw it in washing machine first without detergent see if it takes away some shine without making it too dull everywhere, if the jacket develops more grains and creases, sometime you will appreciate some shine to make them pop.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys
I have had this jacket for 2 or 3 years and it never seems to change
It’s been exposed to rain and snow , but still feels soft and shiny lol

How often do you wear it? Occasionally, or nearly every day?
What type of leather is it? Cowhide? Goat? Chrome tanned?

campbell166

New in Town
How often do you wear it? Occasionally, or nearly every day?
What type of leather is it? Cowhide? Goat? Chrome tanned?
I wear it in autumn/winter....it’s in the style of a Belstaff Panther, it was made in India and I think it’s possibly goat or lamb skin . It feels very soft and is black in colour

@ton312 recently removed the plasticy finish off his Vanson by using acetone, if I am not mistaken, though alcohol might work just as well. I know wiping the jacket down with alcohol is a well tested method of getting rid of the shiny finish which can be bothersome.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Keep rolling it up in all different ways. At least 4-5 times a day. Leave it rolled up all nite.. then roll it up a different way in the morning. Wearing it as much as possible .. wear it driving, walking the dog , whatever.

There are a couple of products that might work. Tenderly is made by Urad and produces a matte/ lustre finish once it is dry. Urad leaves a glossy finish. Other beeswax based products might knock off some shine too, but don’t buff them out or it’ll be shiny again.

marker2037

Practically Family
It would be helpful to see pictures of the jacket, but I will say that a scotchbrite pad can work wonders on knocking off the new on a jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko