Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
tumblr_l2q7k1gihK1qznopio1_400.jpg

by Judit García-Talavera http://suicideblonde.tumblr.com

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
From what I have seen the woman does not misrepresent herself or over inflate her purpose. I am not sure that how she does or does not represent vintage anything is really an issue to most people, in that we are not living in the 1930's or 1940's or any previous decade, we live in the present and our history is all part of us - free to be enjoyed, interpreted and even exploited by each individual as they so choose. I feel she is quite truthful in that she is simply inspired by the history of burlesque and enjoys "retro" things, she even goes so far as to make a point of saying that her look is very pin-up and even says she is not "real." I think that we should let people decide things for themselves and not concern ourselves with whether or not a single woman of any level of success is well-representing "us" or whatever ideal. I think anyone of intelligence knows that everyone in our grand history was not running around in crystal encrusted under garments, it isn't our place to decide who is "good vintage" and who is "bad vintage."

You have no idea how refreshing it is to hear that!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
There's some good coverage on her personal tastes in Instyle's February 2011 issue. The girl's got style!

I got this issue yesterday and went straight to the section on Dita's home - I loved a lot of the things she had - art deco chairs and sofas and her original mirrored 1940's dressing table in particular *sigh*. She has some beautiful repro furniture too however I wasn't too crazy about the taxidermy - stuffed swans and monkeys etc. Her home overall was quite cosy and I liked that she loves getting things on EBay (she loves a good bargain apparently!) and having a look around antique markets and she gives some good tips on what to look for and where to get it.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I got this issue yesterday and went straight to the section on Dita's home - I loved a lot of the things she had - art deco chairs and sofas and her original mirrored 1940's dressing table in particular *sigh*. She has some beautiful repro furniture too however I wasn't too crazy about the taxidermy - stuffed swans and monkeys etc. Her home overall was quite cosy and I liked that she loves getting things on EBay (she loves a good bargain apparently!) and having a look around antique markets and she gives some good tips on what to look for and where to get it.

EVERY home should have at least one stuffed monkey :D

Drappa

One Too Many
How did you get the US issue if you don't mind me asking?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
EVERY home should have at least one stuffed monkey :D

fg_evil_monkey.jpg

How did you get the US issue if you don't mind me asking?

A lot of our newsagents here carry US magazines (Style, Bazaar, Elle etc) - they're a Euro or two more expensive than the UK versions but I like a lot of the US magazines - even if a lot of what's featured can only be bought in the US.

Drappa

One Too Many
Oh yes, I totally forgot about that as I live in a bit of a cultural wasteland... :D
I just ordered it online though. Thanks!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Oh yes, I totally forgot about that as I live in a bit of a cultural wasteland... :D
I just ordered it online though. Thanks!

No worries! I'm currently cutting out and keeping any photos of decor inspiration I like for when we move home so I'll have it all at my fingertips - Dita's home is definitely going to be included!

Drappa

One Too Many
Good idea! I am rubbish at home decorating, especially because being a military wife we move a lot and the houses are not ours. I painted our own house in a beautiful, cheerful colour and then started renting it out, while I'm stuck with dull beige. At least it's from the 50's :) Sorry, back to Dita.

Drappa

One Too Many
So, I just received the magazine I ordered and agree about the dead animals on display. Personally I find that a bit disturbing.

Other than that the quality of the magazine is below standard, something I have never encountered before. The paper isn't glossy at all, and all the colours seem off, especially people's skin colours. None of the images are sharp. The front page also looks strange. Do they actually produce fake magazines? The place I bought from offers single issues or whole subscriptions, so it just seems so odd.

MissMittens

One Too Many
So, I just received the magazine I ordered and agree about the dead animals on display. Personally I find that a bit disturbing.

Other than that the quality of the magazine is below standard, something I have never encountered before. The paper isn't glossy at all, and all the colours seem off, especially people's skin colours. None of the images are sharp. The front page also looks strange. Do they actually produce fake magazines? The place I bought from offers single issues or whole subscriptions, so it just seems so odd.

Here's the thing, in the 20's and 30's, homes of the stately type often had stuffed wild boar, bear, birds, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff