Dita Von Teese

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by absynth, Nov 8, 2006.

1. bunnyb.gal

bunnyb.gal Practically Family

But hey, they offer free international shipping for orders over $500 AUD! :)

Love love love the cardi, but don't want to have to take out a mortgage for one!

2. Drappa

Drappa One Too Many

lollol Oh, in that case I just need to get a dress and cardi and perhaps a handkerchief to get a really good deal. ;)

3. palespider

palespider One of the Regulars

if they had my size, id think about it :eek:

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

You jest but it's been proven that some people will buy more to get free shipping. :eusa_doh:

5. bunnyb.gal

I did that just yesterday...

But I only whacked a pair of tights onto the order to get it up to 30 quid - I'll always need tights, right?

But 500 dollars???!!! Too rich for my blood!

6. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Wheels and Doll Baby is stupidly overpriced. And the quality does NOT justify the prices IMHO.

7. Tifa

Tifa Familiar Face

There are maaany things at their site I just LOVE, but I've never seen them in real life and would love to just try some garments on for fun.
    It's really out of my budget but I've had my weak moments where I almost pressed the purchase button... :p

8. TillyMilly

TillyMilly One of the Regulars

Hi

We had Wheels & Dollbaby in a shop near me for a while and the quality didn't justify the price- it's nice quality but not anything special in terms of fabric, cut or finish.

Taxidermy: I read that Dita got her tate in taxidermy from her ex (He's got loads of things, inc. a big stuffed baboon). It freaked her out at first but then she got used to it.

Anyone remember this from Lost Boys? (The Grandpa was a taxidermist)

" Michael: You have a big date tonight, Grandpa?
    Grandpa: I'm going to drop my handiwork by the widow Johnson.
    Michael: What'd ya stuff for her? Mr. Johnson?":p

9. Drappa

Drappa One Too Many

I'd never heard of them until this thread, and I looked around their site and am really not missing out I think. $455 for a skirt that is essentially a petticoat? There isn't even anything on there that is unique or great new design, it's all completely predictable and cliché. There are a few designers I would support if I had the money, like Lena Hoschek, but these guys don't offer a single item that you can't get somewhere else for a tenth of the price and probably of the same quality.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  10. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

Ha ha i remember that! I have no issue with taxidermy. I used to work at an auction house and saw some beautiful examples and some decidedly ugly, ratty old specimens. I tend to think of the episode of Tales of the Unexpected where the landlady of the boarding house, stuffed all the lodgers!!

As for the Dita cardi, well as Drappa said. if it were cashmere with gold thread, then maybe....Actually if i had that kind of money to spend these days, i would rather spend it on a decent piece of quality cashmere, not something of questionable quality, that is way overpriced.

It is cute though.

11. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

It's an Australian label - I didn't know they'd had any stores over here.

One of my friends has quite a few pieces, and she looks great in them. But they aren't for me.

12. bunnyb.gal

Norman Bates and Ed Gein also come to mind...ewwww.

13. stardust

stardust New in Town

The Boyfriends sister knows Melanie Greensmith through a friend who used to design for her. They offered her a job to pretty much rip off other designs and stick the W&DB logo on it (shes a graphic designer). The clothes are very much the sort of thing you'd find from any vintage repro designers but you can't deny they are pretty...just overpriced.

14. Isis

Isis One of the Regulars

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  15. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

I lived in Sydney for a time and W&D had a shop at the top of my street - I liked the pieces that they had but the prices were ridiculous - I couldn't justify paying that kind of money for pretty but not extraordinary clothes.

16. ukali1066

ukali1066 Practically Family

Back to Dita and not dusty stuffed old Macaques.... ;)

She's not my type but I do like to see a woman with that hair/makeup style...whatever she looks like

17. Drappa

Drappa One Too Many

Indeed! I wonder how they make enough money though, because vintage style being on the fringe as it is, I can't imagine that many people can or wnat to afford their stuff, so who actually buys it?

18. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

Indeed! The prices are really exorbitant, i'd rather could have a good spend up on etsy for the price of one of their outifts and would rather do so, without having to be asked twice!

19. klara

klara One of the Regulars

I actually bought the cardigan back in 06/07, can't remember exactly. I love it! I've worn it lots of times and I always get compliments for it. It's worth the money if you ask me ;)

20. BoPeep

BoPeep Practically Family