Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Why would it be harder to keep clean than white cabinets? It looks pretty glossy and washable to me.

China head vases would be asking to meet foul, violent ends though. I don't really do extraneous porcelain tchotchkes in my kitchen. But then again, maybe I would, if my kitchen was as big as that.

EDIT: About her hair in the kitchen shot. If Dita supposedly does her own hair with Revlon or Clairol or whatever it was, do we know what colour she supposedly uses? Hairdresser today tried to sell me on going darker, and my husband has been campaigning for me to try black/dark chocolate/espresso for eons now. I am conflicted. I've never gone super dark. But Dita makes it look so good and the hairdresser tells me it will look way shinier...?

Last edited:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry, I didn't even think of that. You know, they do need extra cleaning but they're really, really common in house of a certain age at least in my hometown. To the point where flat faced cabinets look slightly odd and unfinished to me unless its a modern style kitchen. I never thought about it.

The neighbourhoods I'm thinking of, built by the hundreds in the fifties, someone got rich selling arched panel cabinet kitchens, and green aluminum awnings for windows and white aluminum screen front doors with black metal buggies on them. Please tell me you know what I am talking about? It's not a fever, I swear!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I suspect her apron is made of the most exquisite hand-worked chantilly lace, and the feathers in her duster were plucked from the tails of free-roaming peafowl from the grounds of the Khedive of Egypt. And dirt wouldn't dare land on her -- it bounces right off, like bullets off of Superman. (I say this out of sheer jealousy, of course.)

Viola -- i know exactly what you're describing. Those doors were made of some kind of molded laminate to simulate actual solid-wood routing, and were designed to sponge clean without absorbing water and warping. Very futuristic. But you still gotta sponge them!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
If Dita supposedly does her own hair with Revlon or Clairol or whatever it was, do we know what colour she supposedly uses?

I've heard different things about Dita's colour, and I'm not convinced she uses drugstore colour anyway. However, I went black once upon a time aiming for Dita's colour, and I got it with Superior Preference's Ultimate Black. It was so dark and shiny, and it stayed in better than any other colour I tried (especially Feria.) Superior Preference also has blue-black and plum-black shades, I tried those too, and they also stay vibrant.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Yay! I think they sell that here in Australia. I'm still going back and forth between black and red but I wondered. Hers always looks so lustrous and not matte at all.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yay! I think they sell that here in Australia. I'm still going back and forth between black and red but I wondered. Hers always looks so lustrous and not matte at all.

I know, I'm desperate to know what kind of pomade she uses! I think either red or black will look very nice on you, especially with your cute new bangs :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Aw, I think I love you.

Many more style-y pics will be posted I just wanted one day of getting used to it with the hairdresser's styling of the bangs since they're such a novelty for me. And I need a new curling iron. But I am torn on the colour, though I know red has worked well for me in the past I've never gone dark and am half curious and half scared. Now if I could be PROMISED Dita-level shine I'd be on it but somehow I suspect she's using some kind of hair-shine devil's pact. Or Photoshop. :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've heard different things about Dita's colour, and I'm not convinced she uses drugstore colour anyway. However, I went black once upon a time aiming for Dita's colour, and I got it with Superior Preference's Ultimate Black. It was so dark and shiny, and it stayed in better than any other colour I tried (especially Feria.) Superior Preference also has blue-black and plum-black shades, I tried those too, and they also stay vibrant.

I've never had good luck with Feria, either. All of their reds pull purple on me, and the fading is fast & uneven.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, ladies.. some interview questions I find interesting:

q: Do you know how many pairs of shoes and corsets you own?
a: Oh, I have no idea. I never really count. People always ask me how many pairs of Louboutins I have. It’s just not something you sit around counting, you know? Those are not the big blessings of my life that I’ve been sitting there counting and thinking how lucky I am. It’s not really as much about the clothes and shoes as you think it will be. I have a lot of things. I have a nice collection of clothes. I wouldn’t want to trade it with anyone. Except maybe Madonna — I bet she has a really great closet.

q: Is it hard to maintain the upkeep on all that vintage stuff?
a: Yeah, it’s really expensive: tailoring is expensive; the constant moth control is expensive. (laughs) I have an assistant that takes care of all of my clothes. When you wear vintage, you have to fix everything. It’s like old cars: you have to keep ‘em up.

q: How do you keep your lipstick from bleeding?
a: Well, there’s not really a trick. You either wear a very matte lipstick that’s very dry and doesn’t bleed, like MAC Ruby Roo or Russian Red, or you wear something that’s shiny and you look at it every, like, half hour to make sure it’s OK. There’s not really a secret. There’s no trick! It’s like matte equals non-bleeding; shiny plus moisturizing equals bleeding.

q: Do you really check your lipstick every half hour?
a: If you’re going to wear lipstick — if you’re going to wear red lipstick — you have to check it out! You can’t just, like, eat a giant cheeseburger and think it’s going to be perfect. (laughs) You have to have a mirror with you. You have to check it out. It’s part of the upkeep. And, you know, it’s sexy to take out your mirror and touch up your lipstick. It’s OK!

:)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
^ I'm glad to hear Dita say that, because I swear I'm busting out a mirror every 30 to check my lips. :D

Me too! And I love what she wrote in her book about applying lipstick with a pretty compact in front of your "victim." Bust that cute mirror out and touch up in a bar full of men and watch them drool ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy