Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you've got an extra 35 G's jingling in your pocketbook, you can own Dita's '46 Ford convertible coupe.

1344742442-223.JPG_m.jpg

Nice car, but without the Dita connection it wouldn't be $35,000 worth of nice. I'm afraid that when I think of a '46 Ford convertible, I think of Phil Silvers driving one into a river in "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I saw Dita's show in Paris on Sky Arts a couple of weeks ago - I had seen some parts of her routine - the martini glass - and some still photos also so I had a bit of an idea of what she does. To be honest I found the show a bit dull - it didn't really do a whole lot for me - maybe having heard so many people wax lyrical about it I expected something amazing. Or maybe Burlesque just isn't my thing. I do love her look and think she always looks so well but I think I'd be more interested in what she's wearing than what she's, well, not wearing on stage!

crwritt

One Too Many
If you've got an extra 35 G's jingling in your pocketbook, you can own Dita's '46 Ford convertible coupe.

1344742442-223.JPG_m.jpg

Nice car, but without the Dita connection it wouldn't be $35,000 worth of nice. I'm afraid that when I think of a '46 Ford convertible, I think of Phil Silvers driving one into a river in "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World."
It HUGE or she's tiny, or both. It makes her look like a dressed up toddler.

Edward

Bartender
I saw Dita's show in Paris on Sky Arts a couple of weeks ago - I had seen some parts of her routine - the martini glass - and some still photos also so I had a bit of an idea of what she does. To be honest I found the show a bit dull - it didn't really do a whole lot for me - maybe having heard so many people wax lyrical about it I expected something amazing. Or maybe Burlesque just isn't my thing. I do love her look and think she always looks so well but I think I'd be more interested in what she's wearing than what she's, well, not wearing on stage!

I very much enjoy a good bit of neo-burlesque. I've never seen her live, though on video at least her performances don't strike me as particularly interesting; I know at least half a dozen performers personally who I find much more original and creative. That said, she does what she does and she has made it very popular. It's interesting to see how she has, to an extent, mainstreamed the marketing of the whole thing and established herself as a brand.

It HUGE or she's tiny, or both. It makes her look like a dressed up toddler.

Both. I'm reliably informed by friends who have seen her in person that Ms Von Tease really is very petite.... and I've never seen an American car built much before 1970 that wasn't the size of a Routemaster.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Yes, she is much more interesting when attired.

I can't believe I said that.....

:) You're not alone in thinking that - my husband was watching and he thought the whole show quite dull too (he didn't think she had much to say for herself either in the interviews between each show segment - I agree with him completely in that regard) - he was saying "Is that it?!" - after all the hoopla I think he expected something much more interesting.

I very much enjoy a good bit of neo-burlesque. I've never seen her live, though on video at least her performances don't strike me as particularly interesting; I know at least half a dozen performers personally who I find much more original and creative. That said, she does what she does and she has made it very popular. It's interesting to see how she has, to an extent, mainstreamed the marketing of the whole thing and established herself as a brand.

Yes - she really has established herself as THE Burlesque star and is very much a brand now. I just thought she seemed like she was going through the motions in the show - it was all a bit clinical or something.

Edward

Bartender
Yes - she really has established herself as THE Burlesque star and is very much a brand now. I just thought she seemed like she was going through the motions in the show - it was all a bit clinical or something.

The media constantly referring to her as "the Queen of Burlesque" and all that really annoys me, but I do try not to blame her for that - I well know how the media seeks to dumb everything down into soundbites.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Both. I'm reliably informed by friends who have seen her in person that Ms Von Tease really is very petite.... and I've never seen an American car built much before 1970 that wasn't the size of a Routemaster.

I drive a '41 Dodge, and it's about ten feet long and taller than me (I'm 5 foot 6), so even if Miss Von T. was of hearty peasant stock it's safe to say she'd look small in her car.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The media constantly referring to her as "the Queen of Burlesque" and all that really annoys me, but I do try not to blame her for that - I well know how the media seeks to dumb everything down into soundbites.

That's true - they have to find someone to be the ultimate whatever and when they're not doing that they are busy finding "The next [ ]".

The only other Burlesque performer that I know by name is Immodesty Blaize - I've seen her in magazines and on tv and she's very beautiful - and having seen her doing fashion spots on tv and being interviewed I would find her infinitely more engaging than Dita.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I think Immodesty Blaize is adorable! Sexy, funny and warm and a great showgirl, much more fun than Dita. I do agree that Dita is much better dressed than undressed.... and silent. She's actually quite dull when interviewed.

Edward

Bartender
That's true - they have to find someone to be the ultimate whatever and when they're not doing that they are busy finding "The next [ ]".

The only other Burlesque performer that I know by name is Immodesty Blaize - I've seen her in magazines and on tv and she's very beautiful - and having seen her doing fashion spots on tv and being interviewed I would find her infinitely more engaging than Dita.

Immodesty Blaize is great, I've seen her perform and on TV. Dita I've never seen speak much at length, but performance wise there are a lot of others I prefer.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
I very much enjoy a good bit of neo-burlesque. I've never seen her live, though on video at least her performances don't strike me as particularly interesting; I know at least half a dozen performers personally who I find much more original and creative.

I've seen her live and I agree. I saw The Opium Den in London a few years ago, and while her costume and props were spectacular and the choreography perfect the show didn't inspire me as much as lots of other New Burlesque performers I've seen. I love Dita's style but don't care all that much about her shows.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
A bit late to the conversation, but I just wanted to add that I have seen both Dita and Immodesty perform live and Immodesty is far more exciting. I'd like to add too, that believe it or not, Dita has grown leaps and bounds as a performer and is not nearly as dull as she used to be.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, answering a readers question (being an advice columnist and all..), Dita wrote:
You can be a juicy, ripe peach and there's still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches, so you can either submit to someone's criticism of you, or you can get on with the business of being your own amazing self who attracts other like-minded people that appreciate you.

The whole column, you can see HERE

Edward

Bartender
A bit late to the conversation, but I just wanted to add that I have seen both Dita and Immodesty perform live and Immodesty is far more exciting. I'd like to add too, that believe it or not, Dita has grown leaps and bounds as a performer and is not nearly as dull as she used to be.

Always good to hear of a performer developing. Been fun to watch some I know do that. I do think there's a big diffeence between the US scene and over here.... I've not been to a show over there but caught quite a few of the big names here. The Neoburlesque movement in the US does seem, on that basis and looking in from the outside, to be more 'vintage' focussed, whereas over here it's maybe a bit more leftfield. There is of course a crossover here with the vintage and burlesque scenes, but not anything like to the extent that seems to be the case over there?

FWIW, the best take I've ever seen on a traditional act - the Martini glass - was Dolores Latrine. Glaswegian, comes on in a nightgown as if severely hungover, does the act with an over-sized toilet prop. Cracking fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112