Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think we both know what each of you meant:

You claim 'looking your age' is just that, neither bad nor good, while she took it (and i dont know why) as 'looking old' and that was not your intent.

Lets try not to start any unnecessary debates.

Carry on.

LD

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
crwritt said:
I saw poorly made film clip of Dita performing as a sort of extra decoration for that Eurovision song contest.
I could see her lazing around on a big shiny black object in the background, removing some sparkly outer clothing, then strutting about in a really tight black corset. I suppose the culmination of her act was when she bent over to pick up a riding crop,then put it in her teeth for no apparent reason, just to give the audience a view of her rear end.
She didn't dance per say, and I can't say she did much but show off her underwear. I'm not familiar with burlesque, I assume its an antique form of striptease, and if she's one of the best there is, I'd call it pretty boring stuff.
The song was a swing tune, a kind of ambiguous one, but the beat was good.
The female backup dancers were more interesting to me than Dita, since their movements had a bit more to do with the music.
This type of music called for some excellent partner swing dancers, but that would have been too obvious, right?
Apparently there were a lot of changes made to the act last minute (censorship and such), burlesque is a lot of fun though, and it varies from country to country... The British burlesque scene is thriving at the moment... names to check out if you're interested are Vicky Butterfly, Emerald Ace, Missy Malone, Leyla Rose... there's a lot of amazing talent :)

I wouldn't judge Burlesque, or Dita by that performance... it was a shame really that she didn't feature much.

xxxxxxx x

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I honestly thought it was a shame that she was in the performance at all.
Why have a "celebrity" in a Eurovision performance?
Certainly didn't help. It seemed there were a few different and desperate approaches to trying to win the vote this year- none successful.

B
T

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I did think it was a bit... novel, but if they were going to have her there they may as well have made the most of her!
I could understand if they'd got some German (was it Germany's entry??) performers, but getting Dita just seems like a bit of a gimmick to pull some publicity to me xx

Blondie

Practically Family
A while back i came across a pic of D.V.T on vacation wearing jeans and a tshirt and riding a bike, does anyone have this pic ???

alden405

A-List Customer
kind of ot,but back in 02 i was in Texas at a rockabilly gig and DVT was playing pool with a bunch of her gal pals.She is really little even in heels!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
So I just read through this thread... I haven't checked it out in ages... and upon seeing Dita really is MY height (and starlets never seem to be, they're always these leggy things...) I was heartened to think I might get a similar effect from corsetry, but I don't know anything about it. How/where does one buy one that isn't just a decorative, lace-up bodice? And how does one get the right size, assuming you want to be able to get into it right away but also get a tightened effect?

I'm so clueless it's sad. :eek:

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
If you're planning on tightlacing like Dita does then you really need to get a corset fitted to your measurements so that it'll pull you in the right places. You can really do yourself some damage if you're going for a more extreme shape if you're wearing an off-the-rack garment.

I've made them myself but I've never had one made for me, I wish I could help a little more! x

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well I'd not say I plan to tight-lace quite like she does... rather like going to your first dance class with the intent to be Ginger Rogers, isn't it? But I would be interested in losing a couple inches and seeing how it goes. Maybe working up to something more dramatic.

I am a size 4 in modern pants, can't remember what that is in vintage off the top of my head, someone else might know, and I wouldn't mind snugging in the waist a bit more without having to diet off too much else in more fun places, if you know what I mean.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry, but I can't find it in my heart to beat up on Dita.[huh]

Just look at that last dress.

:eek:

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Viola, Vollers make decent off the rack corsets, in standard prices, they are okay for the price. UK brand What Katie Did makes corsets too.

Tightlacing is when you lace yourself in order to make your natural waist smaller. You sleep in your corset and wear it a lot, and go down and down in sizes, lacing tighter and tighter. It's a whole procedure that compresses your ribs and so forth. I don't get the impression that is what you want, so you should be fine with Vollers, or even better, Dark Garden, they make really nice corsets and they are made to measure, which is nice. More expensive than Vollers, though, which come in standard sizes.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Jenny, Laura, thank you so much for the links. It's hard to Google this stuff away from just satiny goth numbers that are mostly the ribbon lace-up and no real tightening, but at the same time I wanted something a bit more fun than Spanx.

You girls are great.

Tightlacing that shifts ribs sounds a bit advanced for me...maybe in a few years, but not before. I'm so new. [huh] :)

Thanks again.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I can recommend What Katie Did corsets as off the rack ones that fit fantastically. Do you have a 'vintage figure' ie your waist and hips 10" different or more? They have styles that suit either 'modern' or 'vintage firgures. You need to know your exact waist size and your first corset will need to be 3" to 4" smaller than that - 3 if it's an odd number or 4 if it's even. I can get into a 20" Morticia corset from WKD though, desoite having a 26-7" waist, due to the hip goring... and that has a very Dita-esque look on me!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Viola, I did forget to say that the Vollers corsets do squeeze the hips somewhat, I sold mine because of this. But it held up really well, the quality is good. You probably prefer one with gored hips/hip cups, so you can lace your waist really small without lacing the hips too, and without the corset gaping at the bottom. And really, overall, it's two different looks.

With shaped hips:
rawsilk.morticia.ct_4_large.jpg

Without:
rawsilk.sophia.ct_1_large.jpg

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
If you're just going for a couple of inches then an off-the-rack corset should be great. I really want a WKD corset, they look gorgeous and they always get great feedback from what I've heard from friends.

There are a few gems at http://www.agentprovocateur.com/ too, I love the Gwendoline corset from their classic collection.

xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails