Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to jump and say I find Dita lovely. Her clothing is unique and she's always a lady in her interviews.

I have her book and it's great----I'm trying to save up for a pinup shoot of my own and her pics have given me some inspiration.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I can recommend What Katie Did corsets as off the rack ones that fit fantastically. Do you have a 'vintage figure' ie your waist and hips 10" different or more? They have styles that suit either 'modern' or 'vintage firgures. You need to know your exact waist size and your first corset will need to be 3" to 4" smaller than that - 3 if it's an odd number or 4 if it's even. I can get into a 20" Morticia corset from WKD though, desoite having a 26-7" waist, due to the hip goring... and that has a very Dita-esque look on me!!

I need to get updated measurements (I've been dieting and exercising) but I believe at this point I'm somewhat "vintage" figured, i.e. about 36-25-36 but now I'm hearing I might be a smaller band size and larger cup size than I had thought, which confuses me, but supposedly I might not be aware if I was supposed to be a 34D instead of a 36C?

And I would not be shocked if my hips were about an inch bigger than true proportionality, I've got a something of a bubble butt.

Edward

Bartender
miserabelle said:
Apparently there were a lot of changes made to the act last minute (censorship and such), burlesque is a lot of fun though, and it varies from country to country... The British burlesque scene is thriving at the moment... names to check out if you're interested are Vicky Butterfly, Emerald Ace, Missy Malone, Leyla Rose... there's a lot of amazing talent :)

I wouldn't judge Burlesque, or Dita by that performance... it was a shame really that she didn't feature much.

xxxxxxx x

Vicky's acts are amazing, and I personally would rather watch Missy and Leyla than Dita.... DVT's acts I don't care for (the nudity thing). The UK scene is really buzzing these days, the only drawback being that that inevitably (as with any scene) means that there is a lot of substandard 'me-too' stuff out there, not to mention the dodgy lap-dancing and strip lubs that stick some corsets on the girls and claim it's burlesque (this, no doubt, is partly responsible for Camden Council's current anti-burlesque attitude).

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I thought this was a cute snippet of an interview, and it seems to be the appropriate thread to post it in :)

From thelist.co.uk

Dita Von Teese has revealed she was a "rave girl" in the 90s and used to wear a pink tracksuit.

Dita Von Teese was a "rave girl" in the 90s and used to wear a pink tracksuit.

The burlesque dancer has admitted her glamorous 30s pin-up image is a far cry from how she used to look.

Dita said: "I used to be a rave girl in the early 90s, so I have a pink Adidas tracksuit somewhere that I've worn. But it's a lot of effort to do up all those zippers I feel much more comfortable when I have my slip on.

"At my most relaxed at home, I wear vintage robes from the 40s. I collect all that stuff, so I wear it. It's more comfortable than a tracksuit, they're not as comfortable as everyone says."

Dita insists her classic wardrobe choices are also a cheaper option than sportswear, adding: "It's comfortable for me, and it looks glamorous. It's cheaper too. I can buy a vintage slip from the 50s and it will cost maybe $20. It's cheaper than a vintage tracksuit."

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
So I just read through this thread... I haven't checked it out in ages... and upon seeing Dita really is MY height (and starlets never seem to be, they're always these leggy things...) I was heartened to think I might get a similar effect from corsetry, but I don't know anything about it. How/where does one buy one that isn't just a decorative, lace-up bodice? And how does one get the right size, assuming you want to be able to get into it right away but also get a tightened effect?

I'm so clueless it's sad. :eek:

You don't need to tightlace to achieve a quite dramatic waist reduction. It depends on how squishy you are, muscles are not easy to squish, and bones just don't. The floating ribs can be somewhat squished, but not too much at once without some discomfort. Many corsets do not squish the ribs at all, look for more rounded shapes with space for the ribcage in opposition to conical (more 18th century stays shape) ribcage shapes. I can give examples:

This is me in an edwardian corset with plenty of ribcage space (the compression is almost exclusively on the waist):

2.jpg

It wasn't custom made, though, so it is a bit too high for me.

And this corset does actually compress my ribs. The piecing is complicated S-curve Edwardian, but I requested a conical ribcage. It looks quite extreme on the picture, but even more so in person. This is a corset I have to "practice" a bit to wear (not so much though, but I am squishy):

corset5.jpg

PS: Apparently my website is temporarily down so the pictures may not load.

I think the shape difference is quite obvious.

I read somewhere earlier in this thread that tightlacing is unhealthy. Well, I disagree, but at the moment is seemed tangential to the topic so I didn't answer. The soft abdominal organs can take a lot of squishing and moving around... just as it happens during a pregnancy (which you cannot take off if you suffer from discomfort), but less so while wearing corset, even a quite extreme one in reduction. As in a pregnancy, which gets more... "extreme" lol over a period of months, tightlacing allows you to wear smaller and smaller corsets as your body gets used to it.

PERMANENCY, however, is very small. You cannot make your waist considerable smaller by wearing a corset! (unless you are wearing it of course :p ) By extreme tightlacing you will temporarily achieve a small amount of permanency, but you will only be able to keep it if you continue on tightlacing. The only way to really make permanent changes to your body with a corset is by tightlacing a girl (or boy I guess) since she is quite young. This was done in the past, and there is no actual proof that is was an unhealthy practice (possibly less unhealthy than the bad posture that is not discouraged nowadays), but personally I have moral issues with this.

There is a good article written by a doctor I can give you the link by PM if you want. I can also recommend some makers. Be prepared to spend a lot of money if you want a comfortable and quality product. I personally would not recommend Vollers, unless for very ocassional, decorative wear. I think their shape is very off, though (cilinder-shaped: not what a corset is about).

A (tight) corset can produce some discomfort. For me, my muscles, especially on the back, get tired and achey first, since it forces you to keep a strict upright posture to which I am not used. I wear corsets (very) ocasionally, but I am very interested in the subject and have learnt a lot about it. If you are seriously interested in corsetry, I recommend you find and read as much as you can on the subject, and look at a lot of corsets, learn their history and the different styles, look at many antiques, and you will learn a lot.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
And in my hurry (I am at work) I forgot to answer your actual questions :eek:

(Also, I've uploaded the pictures to flickr since they are not working. Rib cage spacious corset (view from the back though), conical corset. And a bonus: a corset with a small waist reduction and lightly boned, but corded: extremely comfortable to wear!)

How/where does one buy one that isn't just a decorative, lace-up bodice?

You'll want a corset with a strenght layer fabric of coutil (this is a herringbone weave cotton with no stretch, especial fabric for corsetry) and steel boning, either spring steel (straight) or spirals, most makers just combine them, both have their advantadges. What gives the shape to the corset is however the cut, so you will want an experienced and talented maker (corsetry is quite a difficult art). Other things to look for are steel busk (closure) to put the corset on easily, waist tape, to keep the waist from deforming, and "modesty panels" and the back (and sometimes the front, behind the busk) which covers your skin from the lacing, I find it very useful to avoid abrasion to your skin from the lacing.
Just the materials add up a lot, and the manufacture is very laborious, so a quality corset is quite pricey.

And how does one get the right size, assuming you want to be able to get into it right away but also get a tightened effect?

Off the rack corsets are normally sold by waist measurement, from 2 to 4 inches reduction for beginners, but I think this depends a lot on the person. My first corset had a 10cm reduction.

If you have an "odd" shape body (I do, wide hips and very small upper body), it is always better to get a fully custom corset to all your measurements. I think custom is always preferable in any case, especially to wear often.

A short (over the hips) underbust corset is always easier to fit to different body shapes, an overbust/longline one, though, is more difficult to get it to fit off the rack the longer it gets, in both directions.

An ill fitting corset can be very uncomfortable!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Medvssa said:
There is a good article written by a doctor I can give you the link by PM if you want. I can also recommend some makers. Be prepared to spend a lot of money if you want a comfortable and quality product. I personally would not recommend Vollers, unless for very ocassional, decorative wear. I think their shape is very off, though (cilinder-shaped: not what a corset is about).

A (tight) corset can produce some discomfort. For me, my muscles, especially on the back, get tired and achey first, since it forces you to keep a strict upright posture to which I am not used. I wear corsets (very) ocasionally, but I am very interested in the subject and have learnt a lot about it. If you are seriously interested in corsetry, I recommend you find and read as much as you can on the subject, and look at a lot of corsets, learn their history and the different styles, look at many antiques, and you will learn a lot.

I would second all of this...and I am wearing a custom corset as I type this. :)

As for Dita...has anyone else here been following her on Twitter? I have to admit to feeling a twinge of envy the day she wrote about visiting Mr. Pearl and Christian Louboutin!

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Well, sadly I cannot recommend her work anymore, although she used to be my favourite and I have 3 corsets by her (the two I posted and a very long line Edwardian [if this doesn't prove I am pear shaped... :p ]) These were made by Creations l'Escarpolette, I don't even think she has the website running anymore. She had personal problems and an intercontinental move and after that basically ran away with some people's money. Truly a pity because I think her work was one of the best.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lusti Weather said:
I would second all of this...and I am wearing a custom corset as I type this. :)

As for Dita...has anyone else here been following her on Twitter? I have to admit to feeling a twinge of envy the day she wrote about visiting Mr. Pearl and Christian Louboutin!

I know, what got me super envious was when she posted something about 'the beauty of being 36 is realising you're experiencing the best moments of your life and appreciating them' (I'm paraphrasing) and I thought, if only we could all be in Cannes/5 star hotels in Paris with champagne on tap/custom made Louboutins and Mr Pearl corsets/invited to A-list parties/designers showering us with free clothes when we're 36... somehow I don't think I'll be experiencing the same 'best moments' as her! ;)

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I know, what got me super envious was when she posted something about 'the beauty of being 36 is realising you're experiencing the best moments of your life and appreciating them' (I'm paraphrasing) and I thought, if only we could all be in Cannes/5 star hotels in Paris with champagne on tap/custom made Louboutins and Mr Pearl corsets/invited to A-list parties/designers showering us with free clothes when we're 36... somehow I don't think I'll be experiencing the same 'best moments' as her! ;)

I enjoy her Twitter as well, and she does get to do some incredible things! As for the beauty of being 36 is realising that you're experiencing the best moments of your life and appreciating them...well, I have two kids, so I define my "best moments" a bit :D differently from Dita, but I still think that's pretty true of 36! lol I'm enjoying it, anyway.

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
thanks for posting thease inky, i love the part were she says she'd feel foolish wearing jeans, just as woman who normally wear jeans, would feel foolish wearing one of her outfits...brilliant :eusa_clap

Tikismall

New in Town
She's fabulous and makes me feel a lot better when I am a tad down and out about some things in my life. It's kinda nice to see a lady who is quite comfortable with her sexuality and also wears gloves and stockings.

I don't feel I have to explain so much to people about what I do now that she's out there (along with Catherin D'lish, Kitten Deville, Selena Luna and many other saucy dames) killing it for the masses in pasties and a G-string. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails