Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY: Cufflinks Cheap

griffer

Practically Family
Indy Magnoli said:
MacGyver cufflinks!

I have been known to fix hems and blown out seat seams with a common office stapler.

The right size paper clip also fits over your button and becomes a hidden tie tack/retention device. Paper clips also work great for mid-day collar stay replacements.

I can fold several mean pocket squares out of beverage napkins- sartorial bar origami.

But the best are my duct tape sock garters. Nothing impresses the ladies like that howl of release when we retire to my bungalow for the 'big reveal'. And my legs are so smooth! :p

Canadave

One Too Many
Indy Magnoli said:
Here's one of the "el cheapo" cufflinks...

mc-marlowe-lg4.jpg

They look sharp! (Is that you in your avatar? Man, you're young. :) )

David

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Canadave said:
They look sharp! (Is that you in your avatar? Man, you're young. :) )

Thanks! Yep, that's me. It might just be a good picture. I'm only 30, but people think I'm about 10 years older in person. :eusa_doh: I'd like to think that it's the way I dress, but it might be the receding hair line. :eek:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bump this one-

This is good, cheap, craft-time stuff for those who want personalised cuff links and other accessories.

I have also made a "collar bar/link" for an eyelet'ed, club collared shirt.
The eyelets are small, sewn ones. I took 2 large pearl headed pins, cut the sharp ends off, put a loop in the end of one and a hook in the other.
Put the pins through the eyelets and connect them in the middle.
(A little fiddly but the result is quite nice.)
This creates a collar bar style link, pinched in collar, revealing the pearl heads on the collar. Pearl studs on a white shirt, classic.
Eyelet collar shirts, however, are hard to find.

Diaper pins (of the correct length, weight and style- I used old style, medical ones)work, too, as a collar bar- as does "piercing" hardware, of the screw on bar and ball type, (for eyelets)if it's not too heavy(may need length adjusted).

B
T

A.Blighty

New in Town
What a wonderful idea Indy!

I've always avoided buttonless shirt sleeves like the plague for want of a unique or interesting pair of cufflinks. I'll definately have to try this. :D

CanadaDoll said:
I have a gentleman at my gallery that makes cufflinks out of antique and non-circulated coins, he does them in such a style as they're completely unisex, and I just love 'em, as soon as I get my set in I'll post a photo. I'm waiting for a pair of 15th century Spanish coins!

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see them. :)

Edward

Bartender
Great iea, Indy - where did you get the jump rings - hardware store?

I've also seen kits for sale which are like the modern 'stalk' cufflink body, with just a small brass plate on the top to superglue something onto. I'm planning eventually to buy some of those and a pair of (what appear to be!) "finest specemins of human molars" for a Meyer Wolfsheim-type set of cufflinks. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen