Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Aero Jackets Run Large?

Here's my only size 42 Aero jacket. It was made in this size since the 'antiqued steer' is extremely heavy and the blanket lining extra thick as well. This '30s HalfBelt' was also fresh out of the box. After adjusting the side straps somewhat later the waist does look better...and is wearable. BTW..my chest is 40"..waist 32-33". Normally a size 40 fits me well in the '30s style.

100_0449.jpg

100_0434.jpg

Last edited:
Those all fit very well, I think they fit true to size. Darn nice looking jackets, HD!

Thank You. I'm only posting these pics to perhaps help with some of the confusion. Trouble is...if someone is in-between sizes..then it would take a little more research. However..I too think that Aero's sizes are true to the tagged size in their utility jackets...not sure about their larger sizes,though. Just think..if a person is size 48-52 with a 34" waist. Alterations would be a must. I wouldn't 'guess' in that case...but certainly inform Aero just how I wanted it to fit...then leave it up to their expertise! It could take quite a bit of back and forth comunication for sure to get it right.
HD

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
At the end of the day we are all saying the same (or a very similar) thing - Aero offers a number of different style jackets and they cut many of them differently. So the half-belt or the cafe racer will be slimmer cuts than the Highwayman or Bootlegger. The confusion comes in when we layer our personal preferences over the sizing protocols Aero has established. I like my coats to fit a certain way - a little more snug, so when I put on what I think should be my size in a Highwayman or a Bootlegger, I feel like I'm swimming in it. You can say that the sizing is "generous" or that the Highwayman is a full cut jacket.

This debate would be a little less frustrating if you could walk into your neighborhood Aero store and try on the different models in the different styles. Then it wouldn't matter that I think HD's Bootlegger and his Highwayman look a little big or that he thinks that my cafe racer looks too tight. But alas, that ain't happening...

Of course, if we could convince Will and Amanda to put together trunk shows in the US then we could see the full line in different sizings and have them custom measure us! I think they should start in Chicago - most of the leather is coming from here anyway!

Edward

Bartender
I've never had an Aero longer leather coat..but wonder if some styles are made to wear over a suit...so are made from a more generous cut..or pattern? A top coat like effect. I have noticed some pics here on the forum of double breasted Aero styles that seem to suggest that this may be the case.
HD

I think you're on the money here. It really is all about the cut..... and being honest with onesself about issues like Middle-age spread. ;) Always worth asking Amanda about fit - no point wanting a trim, cafe-racer style, then ordering a Highwayman and complaining it's "over-sized", for example.

As to the mention of fluctuating measurements on eBay, I would suggest that it should also be borne in mind that many, many eBay sellers don't know how to measure or size things correctly..... I've seen more than my share of things that had incorrect measurements given on the auction. Carelessness, or the difference between measuring outside and inside for pit to pit figures (can be a big difference in something with a heavy lining, or the likes of an Irvin), can make all the difference in the world too.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I am a 37" chest with a somewhat athletic build who normally wears size 38/40 suit jackets. When I told Will that I didn't want to "swim" in my Barnstormer, he told me to size down to a 36, since "it is a very big coat". He also said that it would have enough room for layering.

Having looked at the pattern measurements Amanda sent me, it appeared that the Barnstormer is cut about a size larger than what one would expect in a different kind of jacket.

I've never had an Aero longer leather coat..but wonder if some styles are made to wear over a suit...so are made from a more generous cut..or pattern? A top coat like effect. I have noticed some pics here on the forum of double breasted Aero styles that seem to suggest that this may be the case.
HD

This might be right. Will told me that a size 38 Barnstormer would easily fit over a suit for me (but be too large the rest of the time).

I suppose I would suggest what others have: figure out what kind of jacket style and fit you find comfortable, and talk to Aero directly about how to obtain what you want.

I am still eagerly awaiting my results...

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Quite a jump from a size 38 to a 42. Somehow..I always take a size 40 Aero in the different styles that I've owned with no need to increase..or decrease in size.
Here's a standard size 40 Aero B-6 from several years ago...

afb32.jpg

Yeah, I don't know why there's such variation for me. The 42 was recommended by Mark, as I wanted a roomier fit, although I think a 40 would have fit fine.

jack3.jpg

Here's the 38 in the slim halfbelt.

aerofront.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Look about the same. Sheepskin jackets do tend to work best that little bit bigger, bearing in mind the time of year in which they tend to be worn. First couple of years of owning one I wore mine with just a shirt or shirt and waistcoat underneath it, but when it got so cold here last year, I was certainly glad of having the space to add a sweater as well.

Mr slick

Familiar Face
My Bootlegger/1930's Halfbelt Hybrid is marked as a 36 And i usually take a 38 so sizing is a little on the generous side but as Forrest states is does depend on what fit you indeed, prefer. I wanted quite a slim fitting jacket allowing just a tie and shirt underneath and a waistcoat at the most. And it looks and feels great!

I think Ian got an Aero that he had to do what I'm doing: 50/52 shoulders, but we have slimmer waists. I'm a 36+ now. So, you can see that if someone wanted that jacket down the road and they have a 40/42" waist, they'd be in a world of hurt. The size tag is just the pattern starting point I'm guessing...

too much coffee

Practically Family
Good points made here in regards to sizing.

I have noticed that the guys who have an athletic build can pull off anything quite well and therefore don't seem to get hung up on unorthodox sizing other than adding inches to arm and body lengths. If the man wears a 42 suit, chances are he'll order a 42 Aero.

Hoosier Daddy.........all great fits!

Edward

Bartender
FWIW on the sizing front, My Aeros are all 42R - Bootlegger, A2, AN6552, MC, 30s Halfbelt, Waterfront. All were bought with the intent of no more than a shirt or shirt and waistcoat below them. I'd definitely have to go a size up if I wanted to layer a thick sweater under any of them, but then these are none of them jackets which I bought intending to be worn in the kind of cold that would necessitate that; by that point in the Winter I'll be looking a long wool coat or a shearling by preference. The only one I would change on size if buying again might be the AN6552, the USN jackets being just that little bit neater in cut. Course, once I work this gut down and lose a bit of weight.... I'm no trim kid of the type to whom those jackets were issued originally, that's for sure. ;) Another noe to note is if you ever come across an Aero ANJ3, definitely go a size up on your suit size. I owned one I bought used very briefly and resold here as it was significantly smaller than the AN6552. The latter is neat but eminently wearable; the former was simply far too tight, including across the shoulders. I'd definitely have needed a 44 in that, even where the 42 in the AN6552 is fine.

CNYC

New in Town
I hope this is the right thread for this post. If not please excuse me.

I like many others on here have been on the hunt for the "right" JACKET. Before I started this journey I had no idea at the amount of effort it would take to spend $1000 +. The cusotmer service experiences from Schott Vanson and Aero have been decent yet frustrating to say the least. The worst is Schott from my experience.

After careful research I chose the HERCULES from Aero. I like the idea that its made from horsehide and in another country besides the USA Asia or South America. I am hoping to recieve a quality European made leather.

What I want to stress in this post is something very important SIZE. How to choose your size. I was annoyed with how much information these companies want you to give them regrading measurements. Ive never taken a measurment in my life and you expect me to give you a blueprint for a jacket :) I wonder if this is a cost saving issue as well for these companies ?

Anyway I recommend doing what I did. I went to a professional tailor/jacket maker while on vacation in Mexico and I paid him to take the measurements.

Lets hope this theory works but I dont think I would have done better myself.

For all of you ending up with jackets that dont fit try going to a tailor and save yourself the aggravation.

Thanks for reading.

The other option is to just tell Aero your usual jacket size, (ie, 44 regular), height, weight, waist size, and leave it up to them. That's pretty much what I did with my first Aero jacket. Turned out great.
Seems like sending them your actual measurements would be more likely to get you a "custom fit" jacket though.

One other thing you could do...just ask them for a jacket in your size, "off the rack"....what they consider a "standard fit" for your usual jacket size.
I can think of a couple of respected leather jacket manufacturers who sell their jackets that way. no "custom made" option (or they charge extra, and/or the jacket non-returnable if it doesn't fit.) Generally seems to turn out OK if you are pretty much a "standard size".
Even if you are....a custom fit jacket is hard to match off the rack.
If the tailor who measured you knows what they are doing, you should be happy with the fit of your Aero.

Last edited:
My GW Ventrua was made by JC with no numbers. How's that? As Jeff said, get a jacket that fits. Measure it. Send those numbers in with HOW you want the jacket to fit. Do just the basic numbers of your body.
Height
Waist (actual, not labels on pants)
Torso
Sleeves
Pits

I think people fudge numbers or they use sizes that are on labels. Trying to outsmart the maker will end up badly.
Also consider the style of the jacket you're buying. They are all meant to fit differently. Some don't work for so,e body types. Be honest with yourself.
Good luck!

siddhartha

Familiar Face
It's also worth talking directly to Aero, or Insurrection about fit. I was convinced I was a 44, and took a 46 in some jackets for layering. I recently got a J106 in sz 42, and it's great. I also have a LW in sz 42, and similarly, great fit. I never would have come to a better fit on my own, so it's worth it to talk to those who do this regularly

CNYC

New in Town
Thanks. I am a 48 suit jacket size so I ordered a size up. That should fit me fine. Then I recieved an email asking for measurements to "make sure" its the right size for me. I was startled at first but I guess it makes sense since the whole process of ordering and shipping is so time consuming.

If a size 50 fits like an american size 50 I should be fine. However these days I find the same sizes in anything you buy to be all over the place.

I really dont like the idea of having to deal with measurements. I feel that I or the tailor could make a costly mistake. Hopefully I get an email tomorrow telling me YES a size 50 was the right choice.

One thread on here mentioned that the Hercules runs small. The people at Thurston Leathers.com said they run 2 sizes too big. What to believe ?

Last edited:
Measurements are incredibly easy to do. Get someone to help you. You don't need a tailor. I'm fact, many recommend against it. Tape measure, paper, pencil friend/wife/concubine. It truly is not rocket science. If you have a body that is not "typical" - big gut. Power-lifter arms, etc. tell them that and measure measure measure.

Thanks. I am a 48 suit jacket size so I ordered a size up. That should fit me fine. Then I recieved an email asking for measurements to "make sure" its the right size for me. I was startled at first but I guess it makes sense since the whole process of ordering and shipping is so time consuming.

If a size 50 fits like an american size 50 I should be fine. However these days I find the same sizes in anything you buy to be all over the place.

I really dont like the idea of having to deal with measurements. I feel that I or the tailor could make a costly mistake. Hopefully I get an email tomorrow telling me YES a size 50 was the right choice.

One thread on here mentioned that the Hercules runs small. The people at Thurston Leathers.com said they run 2 sizes too big. What to believe ?

Thurston. If they are wrong, they'll take care of it.
If some random forum member is wrong...that's not covered. ;)

BTW, I take a size 44 Regular in mens jacket.
Most my Aero's are size 44...with a bit of custom sizing in the sleeve and body length. I have one size 42 (Cheyenne). All fit fine.
My Johnson Leathers half belt is a labeled a size 40. Was fitted at their store. Fits perfectly.
Good Wears range from size 44 to 46 label depending on the contract.
Trust the maker.

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
First is to decide if the style/cut of the jacket will work with your body shape. Then, the most important thing in determining the size you need IMO is knowing what you want in the shoulder measurement. Personally, I like 3/4 of an inch room per side on the shoulders. My shoulders measure 18", so whatever size offered is a 19.5" shoulder measurement will decide the size I would ask for. Then I'd request the sleeve and back lengths I like.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit