Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Aero Jackets Run Large?

CNYC

New in Town
I decided to cancel my order with AERO. They emailed me back saying they will make the jacket exactly to the measurements that I gave them. This made me feel uncomfortable. What if the tailor was wrong or he hedges things differently than the makers of my jacket ?

Also the sleeve measurement was in question. The tailor told me 26 but then in an email from Schott they told me that the jacket I wanted was around 30" in sleeve length and would be a good fit.

Two people from Vanson got in touch with me and one told me I needed a size 50 and the other person told me a 44 ! for the same jacket.

Ordering online is way too much work. I live in NYC the land of schott> I will look for something there.

I do aprreciate the help from this forum THANK YOU.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think you could have trusted Aero. I believe on their site they guarantee the finished product to be within 1/2 inch of your specifications. If not they'll remake it.
Also, 30" for a sleeve measurement is wrong. The people here with the longest of long arms go for a max 28" sleeve.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think 30" would exceed even Fanch's rangey limbs! :D As far as the fit goes, I could understand your scepticism if it was a relatively unknown/new maker, but Aero's is hardly 'here be monsters' territory. If you were that unsure, I would've gone with Thurston for extra insurance. But your money, your choice etc. [huh]

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I think 30" would exceed even Fanch's rangey limbs! :D As far as the fit goes, I could understand your scepticism if it was a relatively unknown/new maker, but Aero's is hardly 'here be monsters' territory. If you were that unsure, I would've gone with Thurston for extra insurance. But your money, your choice etc. [huh]

Thurston does seem to be a pretty good deal for US customers as long as they offer the Aero you are looking for.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thurston does seem to be a pretty good deal for US customers as long as they offer the Aero you are looking for.

They offer just about everything. They've tried to stress that but their site only shows their choice models. My "civilian B-10" idea might be pushing it though :)

I think with your insecurities about measurements..your best bet is to go with a company that will send a try on jacket. Then you can surely better figure out whether an inch needs to be added or subtracted here or there for the kind of fit you want.
HD

CNYC

New in Town
I think with your insecurities about measurements..your best bet is to go with a company that will send a try on jacket. Then you can surely better figure out whether an inch needs to be added or subtracted here or there for the kind of fit you want.
HD
YES. Thurston actually emailed me today willing to send me a size 46 to try on. I love the idea and would be more than willing to pay for shipping both ways. Id much rather do it this way.

Thank you for the excellent advice. I had no idea that companies were willing to do this.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's easy to over think measurements. If shoulders, pit to pit and sleeves are right, sizing is simple. Especially if you can use a jacket that fits to base measurements on. I have bought all my jackets (Aero and others) from overseas without ever trying them on before and only once got one that was a little too small.

It seems to me that Aeros are 1 size roomy except for the 30s slimfit. A typical size 40 is around 22.5" across the pit & that is the same as a 42 Slimfit HB. I tend to look for a size 38 in most of their jackets when I wear a 40 suit...
Have only owned one, but have been trolling over many and scrutinizing for my right size.
I think going through Thurston Bros is definitely the way to go if you're in the US and are unsure of size.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
YES. Thurston actually emailed me today willing to send me a size 46 to try on. I love the idea and would be more than willing to pay for shipping both ways. Id much rather do it this way.

Thank you for the excellent advice. I had no idea that companies were willing to do this.
\

Post some pictures of you wearing the fit jacket..we are more than happy to give you more "Advice" :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you have a textbook body type. If you're even a little bit soft around the middle, you're going to need a size up, or it's gonna show off your physique!

Fletch, you may will be right. My measurements haven't changed in 25 years so I never have to think about it.

CNYC

New in Town
I think going through Thurston Bros is definitely the way to go if you're in the US and are unsure of size.

I am back in the game fellows. Carrie from Thurston emailed me with the offer to send me a sample jacket. I definitely like their customer service so far.

Does anyone know if the jacket price includes the customs fees QUESTION MARK.

I will call them when I get back from Mexico. Unfortunately good leather has been difficult to come by in Mexico for a while now. Otherwise I would have made a custom jacket here. Ive done it before with some success. The leather makers in Tijuana buy leather from LA which comes from New Zealand and other countries. Then they bring it down to Mexico for the labor.

Last edited:

CNYC

New in Town
\

Post some pictures of you wearing the fit jacket..we are more than happy to give you more "Advice" :)

I definitely will. Thanks

My biggest concern is hiding my gut. I havent owned a decent leather since I got chunky. Ive been sticking with Carhartt and Dickies clothing. Those clothes have a nice fit on me but now I want a leather. Lets hope it looks flattering on me.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Price includes custom fees. They take care of that. The total was exactly the price they list on the website, not a dime more . It surprised me actually.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Not to perpetuate the ongoing Aero-Alexander TFL saga, but at the time of this thread's initial debut, the company was under the helm of Lauder and a chunk of the jacket makers from that time has since joined him to staff Alexander.

So....maybe it should be renamed "Do Alexander leather jackets runs large?"

Not to perpetuate the ongoing Aero-Alexander TFL saga, but at the time of this thread's initial debut, the company was under the helm of Lauder and a chunk of the jacket makers from that time has since joined him to staff Alexander. So....maybe it should be renamed "Do Alexander leather jackets runs large?"
Or, are they horse...

Back to the original question at hand...
Trust Thurston Bros. when it comes to sizing.
Having Thurston Bros send you a sample jacket is the way to go.

Aero seems to have changed the way they size their jackets with the change in administration.
I wear a size 44 (US sizing) mens suit jacket. For my first Aero order years ago I sent Amanda my chest size/height/weight/waist size, and told them I wear a size 44 US jacket.
The Highwayman I received was spot on...labeled as a size 44.
All of my subsequent Aero's were ordered based on that original jacket, me telling Amanda I take a "size 44" and to use the same measurements as on that first order.

A current "size 44" Aero is way too large for me in the torso. I likely take a size 42 or 40 BY THEIR DESIGN.
A current size 44 Aero fits me like I would expect a size 46 to.

Sizing in leather jackets seems to vary from maker to maker.
I take a size 40 in a Johnson's Leather half belt. 46 in a Good Wear..yet I still take a size 44 US mens jacket...chest still measures 43 3/4".

GO WITH WHAT THURSTON BROS. RECOMMENDS!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany