Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I got this right?

Bart

Familiar Face
Steam the hat...the whole hat

Sure...get a good steam on both sides of the brim and then shape it to the style you'd like.

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
Hmmm! HRMMM! It's not working!

I steamed it on both side, and tried to shape it, it just won't hold it's shape, it's a new hat. :cry:

Am I getting enough steam? I'm steaming about 5 seconds on each side, then shape, and the outer edge is flexible, but the 3/4 of the brim is TOUGH. Is this right?

makll

Familiar Face
5 seconds is probably not enough.
Is it a western hat? or very stiff felt?

It needs to get fairly moist so you can move the felt. If its a western felt it will need more steam than a dress felt, shape, steam, shape. You'll have to work it till it does what you want.

makll

Familiar Face
not sure how much steam a humidifier makes.

If you dont have a clothes steamer, use the kettle.

When it really gets cranking (lots of steam from a rolling boil) then start steaming the brim, really get it steamed up good and not just one spot.

If your nervous, go little by little, but you will need to basically soften the felt, not limp, you'll "feel" (or get a sense) of it. test as you go, once it starts to soften and the brim is moveable, then try to shape, if it doesnt go, then steam some more. In words it sounds complicated, its not really and you really cant hurt the hat (unless your the kind of person that burns the pan while boiling water ;) and believe me I have known some.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
epic610 said:
or would the steam from a humidifier suffice?

If you're talking about a room-temperature or "cool mist" humidifier, then no. Room temperature air just can't hold enough moisture to do the job. Steam is very hot, therefore the saturation of water vapor can be much higher.

However, a "vaporizer", also known as a warm mist humidifier should do it, since they emit a pretty good amount of steam, similar to a clothes steamer.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Just be careful when steaming. I can never get an even curl on a brim - but perhaps I'm just a bum steamer.
Is therea good tutorial on the technique anywhere on the Web ? I need one because my Akubra Fed still hasn't quite got it.

Bebop

Practically Family
Legal Concepts said:
to shape the brim of a fur felt hat just use a water kettle and steam and put it where you want it.

Is that correct?
Yes, you do "GOT" that right. It also depends on what the hat is made of and how much stiffener it has.

makll

Familiar Face
First off, sorry for the blunder below, I got epic and legal mixed up on locations.

Legal, good, glad your getting it. If your left handed sounds like it will work.

I usually try to not hold the hat by the pinch as that seems to be the most heavily damaged / worn area I see when I do reblocks, that and the back of the brim where it meets the crown.
Otherwise, seems like your on a roll :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24