Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do It Yourself A2 Jacket

Narodnik

New in Town
Thanks guys!

I dont have the capacity to produce jackets for sale really, though Im flattered.

What I will do however is post the jacket patterns and autocad file and maybe even illustrate the steps of making your own jacket. For whoever wants a go.

Though I must say one really starts to appreciate the finish you find on GW and the like when you have a go yourself. In materials and labor it sure is cheaper with a goodwear!

A week in Scotland sounds great really!

The goatskin would do perfectly. Ill hear around.

This jacket and pattern will by no means be an exact replica of any contract. Itll be my own version more or less. When I say perry sportswear I mean the rounded collar, collar stand, lack of inset sleeve etc. I want it to have some root in reality, but it the end its just for personal use ;)

Thanks for the interest, guys! ill update soon.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hei og velkommen Narodnik. Kjempegodt jobba med jakken din. Lykke til med resten av prosjektet!

Hils Tim

Narodnik

New in Town
Thanks Tim!

Okay you guys here is a big update.

a2monster.jpg

My updated pattern and the resulting jacket:

guljakke.jpg

guljakke2.jpg

Fully lined with the same construction principle as the originals.
guljakke3.jpg

I didnt bother with eupalets on this test jacket, but the seam is pushed backwards to make them centered on the shoulders.
guljakke4.jpg

Had to put the zipper on backwards because the sliders was mirrored for some reason.

guljakke5.jpg

Pleased with the fit, although this test fabric is way too thin.

guljakke6.jpg

guljakke7.jpg

guljakke8.jpg

IMO the perfect lenght.

guljakke9.jpg

the classic a2 pose...

Narodnik

New in Town
On another note Ive even got the leather settled. I got a hold of some great 1.2 mm veg tanned goatskin with aniline finish! Its great in every way and im very pleased.
geiteskinn.jpg

geiteskinn2.jpg

darker brown knits and a matching triple marked talon.

geiteskinn3.jpg

Nice grain variation!

I might just tighten the end of the sleeves in a bit, but other than than Im pleased with the pattern. I have of course adjusted for the leather thickness compared to the thin cotton.

Recently I also acquired a singer 29k58 sewing machine for leather. All I am waiting for now is for the 16/4 cotton thread to arrive and I can start. The sewing machine sews great and produces more or less a "goodwear" finish.

I will be updating as the jacket is being made!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the update. You're a braver man than I!!! I also think you scored well on the hide! My sausages (fingers) aren't made for that fine work, although I do build my own computers.. hmmm..

Worf

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Blimey, you're going to have one bloody nice A-2 if it's going to resemble the fit of that latest test fabric jacket. I'm always amazed by guys who make their own leather jackets as I just wouldn't have the patience let alone skill to even know where to start. Well done :eusa_clap

Blimey, you're going to have one bloody nice A-2 if it's going to resemble the fit of that latest test fabric jacket. I'm always amazed by guys who make their own leather jackets as I just wouldn't have the patience let alone skill to even know where to start. Well done :eusa_clap
What he said! Well done, and thanks for posting up your work in progress. That's really cool - I'm a big fan of "how it's done".

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The guys next door were having a garage sale and were selling a sewing machine for a ridiculously low price. I thought to myself,
"I'll never be as good as Narodnik" so I passed it up.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I'm envious of people who have the skills and talent to do things like constructing garments from scratch! It'll probably not save you any money given that you also have to source the material in limited quantities but it will get you a totally custom made product that's exactly how you want it to be. Congratulations, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

schitzo

Suspended
I'm looking forward to this too.

The fit on that test cotton one is exquisite and the goat you found seems perfect. Generally I don even dig A2s, but this one looks like it'll be sublime. Good luck

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Brilliant idea, I'd have a go too if I had the time. As others have put forward, I would start with a basic (ie: cheap)A2 in your size, then take it apart and work from that. I know one maker that went that route, I think Ken at Aero must have used an original for measurements and worked that way when he made my jacket.
Your cotton version looks great also and I think even Raph L makes them so there could be a new jacket maker in the line.
Keep us all informed.

Narodnik

New in Town
Thanks for all the encouragement on the project. I hope that with this, the pattern especially, people will be inspired to try something like this themselves.

Anyways I need some help with the jacket construction. Is the top of the waistband connected to each other? anyone out there with a proper A2 should know. Is it possible to pull the shell and lining apart right where the waistband start?

hjelp.jpg

The latest test jacket was in the "A" configuration, but for the final I need to know.

thanks in advance!

kampkatz

Practically Family
Just thought I would add my encouragement. You have the potential for making an excellent A-2 repro.
It is a privelege to follow your progress. Your spirit for a challenge is inspirational!:eusa_clap

Narodnik

New in Town
Because of an exchange year in germany I didnt have the time to finish the jacket this summer, but during the holidays I finally did.

There is still some hardware left to put on, Im waiting on some tools, but the sewing is complete. At the moment Im missing the underarm vents, the collar hooks, to fully attach the snap buttons and the leather hanger.

Sorry for the delay, folks. The fit is very comfortable. Couldnt be more happy with it, although I know a lot of you prefer it more roomy.

a2_1.jpg

a2_2.jpg

a2_3.jpg

a2_4.jpg

a2_7.jpg

a2_6.jpg

a2_fullbody.jpg

a2_frontside2.jpg

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members