Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do It Yourself A2 Jacket

mezz07

New in Town
Thanks for all the great information! I'm in the planning stages of building my own Bronco A-2. I've aquired tools, hardware, knits, liners, etc. I've already made the smaller leather parts of the jacket, such as the pockets and flaps, epaulets, collar, etc. Mash is a great resource but they definitely don't have everything. For instance I'm still searching for proper ball stud snaps. If anyone knows where to get these please let me know! I did find some contract appropriate small round DOT snaps for the Bronco I'm making, but I'll need the ball stud type snaps for future jackets.

I've sourced some okay leather but nothing like the beautiful goatskin you were able to find. May I ask where you purchased it? Sourcing decent leather seems to be one of the hardest parts so far with this enormous project. I also have had no luck finding the correct thread for an A-2. I find 100% cotton thread in the local sewing shops but it's too thin to really be used on leather, although I've been forced to use it so far for the pieces I've already constructed. I have yet to buy a walking foot sewing machine but the thread seems impossible to source.

If anyone reading this knows where to purchase good leather for an A-2, ball stud snaps, or knits please let me know. I have knits from Mash Co. of Japan but I would like to try something new.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
for Narodnik and others:
you can download the USN specs for the current G1 jacket here (click on the 1971 document):
http://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=6643

that's a US gov't website so it's kosher to download from

why bother? because in that document there is a bunch of diagrams showing how the knits are attached and seams sewn together, which may be useful for someone making their own jackets

EDIT: replaced link with DLA website link

Last edited:

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Awesome job, Narodnik!
I really envy your skill. I've made a few things myself (mainly small furnitures and small leather crafts) but far from that.
Congratulations. Sure you will wear with satisfaction and pride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy