1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Do Men Hate Women's Hats?

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by Mayor La Trivia, Dec 1, 2014.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Niece on my sister's side. We get her gift certificates at a shop in Stratford, Ontario called The Green Room, with many vintage inspired items.

She was 19 at that time, approaching 21 now. Hair is a bit shorter and now her natural brunette, but otherwise much the same!

scottyrocks likes this.
  2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

Here's my idea of a beautiful woman in a hat:

She's a German entertainer but she looks so Southern to me in her appearance, in spite of her dirndl. She's Bavarian, which at least is Southern German. The man's hat looks pretty good, too. I always have to explain that I grew up listening to yodeling, only it wasn't that good. She's about 31 in the video.

3. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome Call Me a Cab

When I was young many women wore hats, particularly to church. There was a huge variety from small and conservative to huge and flamboyant. Easter Sunday in particular was a practical hat parade with light and vivid colors. As the years go by I see less and less of this. Now it seems showy to wear such a hat because no one else is. I remember every Easter I got a new spring suit to wear and my sisters received new spring dresses and matching hats. This has died out in my community, and I suspect it isn't doing well in most areas. It seems that the tradition is doing better in African American communities where both men and women still dress with some panache.

As to liking women in hats: my wife in a large brimmed floppy straw hat puttering in the garden is always alluring to me.

4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

515987920.jpg
    What the well-hatted woman wore, 1943.

vitanola, triple-d and BobHufford like this.
  5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Absolutely, but I also like the small fascinator when worn as an accessory. In the sixties I couldn't take to the ladies jockey caps yet now I really warm to them.
    i love lucy 5.jpg

3fingers, triple-d and BobHufford like this.
  6. tmal

tmal Familiar Face

Everyone looks better in a hat, For men it covers their bald spot. For women it gives them an air of mystery or allure. Ladies, think Film Noir.

7. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

It depends on the hat.

As a woman I appreciate beautiful hats.:) Love them!

For the rest of hats I don't care so much.

this is me wearing a kind of 1920s hat ....I'm ashamed of it today lol

[​IMG]

8. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Thank you V.C :)

9. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

What's not to love from this veil hat Myrna Loy is wearing in the 1930s me thinks it looks great!:)

[​IMG]

triple-d and BobHufford like this.
  10. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Shanghai -Express anyone ? Marlene 1932...veil hat

[​IMG]

11. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

My humble opinion

Men do not hate women's hats....(I'm a woman of course but I can have my opinion)

Who came up with that ridiculousness ...who:mad:

triple-d likes this.
  12. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Thank you BobHufford! :D

BobHufford likes this.
  13. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Another veil hat this one from the 1950s Jane Russel

[​IMG]

14. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

Once had a crush on a lady, mainly because of the wide-brimmed hats that she wore; she oozed confidence. Still trade Christmas cards with her and the occasional postcard from unpronounceable lands. (Sigh.)

Fading Fast likes this.
  15. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

16. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

This thread has been around for over three years and no one's posted the obvious?

scottyrocks likes this.
  17. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

A lot of young ladies in Japan wear hats. They're cheap fashion items made in China designed to be binned at the end of the season. Like all other fashion, certain 'styles' (or rather 'simulacra of styles') pass regularly and are almost always worn in generic sizes that do not fit.
    I don't like it.
    It's neither sexy nor glamorous (not that a lady should feel obliged to be either).

I like the ladies pictured in this thread from the golden era; glamorous and bold, oozing confidence. How sexy is that? But I guess it's easy to be bold and confident when you're a movie star, which is what the ladies in the photos are/were. Maybe ordinary golden era ladies didn't look so glamorous everyday?

Maybe movies have given me an unrealistic image of the past?

I recall the scene in one of the Batman movies where Anne Hathaway is leaving town incognito, wearing a glamorous hat. She pulls of the look. But she can, because she's in a movie, and a movie calling back to Batman's golden era roots at that.

I have a couple of Penman fedoras. They look great, as well they should for the price, but it's unrealistic to expect ladies to have a collection of hand-made-to-order hats in their closet just in case 'that' special occasion comes around.

It's a great shame. I wish the world was more glamorous everyday.