Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Aug 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

A little dab where the tape is fraying. A little bit at a time. Then let it sit for a little while, dry out. Don’t worry too much if you apply a tad more than a dab, it all soaks into the tape. But too much and it will run into the leather so have something handy to quickly wipe it off. Or it may run into the zipper, which you don’t want.

Jin431 and Marc mndt like this.
  2. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

This stretching stuff is genius if not the basic principle of the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so to speak.

Would love to try on my one Cal that I love to death but is just a half size too small for me. I think the problem with the CHP style is the panels by the laces will get most of the stress of the stretch. They're also thinner leather so I don't think they'll hold up well.

Also wondering what might happen with a jacket with gussets, under arm footballs and/or action backs or other pleats, etc. I'd be afraid of where the stress will hit the leather. So I think, maybe I'm wrong, this is best done with plain, one piece backs.

Usually I'm going with the "shrinki" method. Looks like now we have the "stretchi" method as well.

Jin431 likes this.
  3. Flying Monkey

Flying Monkey New in Town

I have a nice Branded Garments perfecto style in a 44 which for some reason is more like a 42 in the chest. Maybe a custom. Fit great everywhere else. Almost mint condition. I really wanted another 1/2" in the chest and shoulders. I took one of those large inflatable exercise balls and put it in the zipped up jacket uninflated. I then took sopping wet towels and put them on the outer parts of the jacket that I wanted to stretch. Back, shoulders, chest. I then inflated the ball until it was fairly tight. I say fairly tight. Watch what you are doing at this point because the pressure from the ball is surprisingly powerful. You can utterly destroy a jacket if you are not paying very careful attention. This particular jacket is made of very thick leather and is pretty modern. I would not advise this procedure on anything thin or vintage, you will be left with a pile of rags. Anyway, I left the wet towels on for about a full day at which point I wiped everything dry and left it inflated for about a week. It really really worked. The fit is exactly what I wanted. Realize that I only was hoping for about 1/2" and that's what I got. I have not allowed the jacket to get caught in the rain so I don't know if it would shrink back if it got wet. I did this about a year ago and the fit has not altered back. Apparently one of my rare triumphs in life.

4. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Let's see if I can turn this 38 into a 42 lol

5D651171-7551-468D-BFFA-C88438F0172B.jpeg DB52B922-B752-4166-8D21-B8F58DB9B716.jpeg

5. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

6. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Yes, same with me on a horsehide Vanson. I got about 1/2 to 1-in stretch in chest and shoulders.

7. Marc mndt

Great tip. This is a similar product that's available on the European market. Not only does it keep the fabric from fraying any further, It also stiffens up the frayed area which makes it easier to get the pin into the slider.

C6A2E684-D3B9-47FB-A8B3-8C86551FC8D9.jpeg

Leather Walker, Jin431 and JMax like this.
  8. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

9. Marc mndt

It came out perfect. Apart from the high / tight armholes which only stretched up a tiny bit, it feels totally comfortable now. Rainy weather all day so I didn't have an opportunity to take proper pics. I did take a quick mirror selfie when I wore it to the gym this morning.

I keep it under tension until fully dry. Which in this case took about 24 hours. I got scared the moment I took out the pillows this time. For a moment I thought I ruined the jacket because all the grain was gone, the leather looked dull and it was shaped like a sausage (no drape at all because it was stiff like brand new CXL). Luckily the grain came back and the drape did as well as soon as the leather softened up. A thin layer of Urad brought back the luster and color depth.

88BCDAB3-CB58-4F07-AEDF-16468BEDF3CC.jpeg

Pre-stretching I could not zip it up. It was a size 38 and I have a 43 " chest. I'm pretty pleased with the result.

10. Leather Walker

Leather Walker One of the Regulars

Yes! I use this product, I'm really happy with Prym fray check. I apply it on zipper tape when the plastic film is cracking, so the liquid can filter to the tape.

Marc mndt likes this.
  11. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

your LL collection is getting better and better. the fit looks just right, the rounded shoulder looks perfect. even the length and sleeves looks good from that photo. cant wait to see the back photo of this, just to see how it works being worn

Marc mndt likes this.
  12. Al 916

Al 916 One of the Regulars

Jacket is about the same age as me but I still have all mine.
    Without a full new denture how would one go about sorting this?

Perfecto6.jpg