Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you Cthulhu much!?

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Doran said:
If there is a way to play CofC by email, or on the net, I'm game. I don't want to spend more than 3 hours once a week on it, but sounds good. I like the most descriptive sort of referees who know how to write and don't misspell words.

Man, I'd love to, myself! Sadly for me, this is the most time I've ever had to devote to the 'net, so who knows how things will roll in the future. Plus I love the face-to-face aspect of gaming. The vibe in the room is what makes a game of CofC!

You know, for a while, CofC led us to explore in the real world - We visited an abandoned church that was said to be a meeting place for a coven of witches or Satanists (we had somewhat primitive ideas about those folks back then), a haunted bridge, several graveyards, of course... all at night. 13 boys creeping into abandoned buildings for a fear fix - We had a ball!

Never saw that Nightgaunt, though. [huh]

Cthulhu Mythos 72%, Sanity 28,

T.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Marvelous, considering the budget.

I'm delighted there is a Cthulhu thread on the Lounge. It is so very "Golden Era." As I love horror and I (obviously, or else I would not be here) love the "Golden Era," it is wonderful to see this thread combining the two.

I agree! Aesthetically and otherwise, they can/did exist in the same universe.

Did anyone see the trailer for the follow up film by the guys that made the silent cthulhu?

It goes a little.. something like this!

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
See that's cool stuff!!

At my 1st highschool (a catholic college prep school... Yeah they kept trying to straighten me out), there was a place nearby called seminary woods. It was on the property of the school and housing of the brothers and nuns that lived there.

Though it became used as more of a wild-life refuge, there were various stations of the cross through out the site.... This became a somewhat dangerous haunt and was often found to be a place of ritual and such and started beig watched by the local PD and even game wardens as I was told. And though this was back in the 80's, I believe it's still there???

Now one of my projects involve an event at the Milwaukee Irish society, which is located in an old renvated church. With three floors, including a pub on both the 1st floor, basement and such, it's a perfect setting for music, dancing and some vintage reenacting.

We also have the Midway Village Historical Center in Illinois, which has an entire town which can be used for all sorts of subtle ventures... And they also have an excellent WWII event, which occasionally calls for resistance fighters, Birtish and OSS agents...

Then we have plans for a place in Iowa which is often used for Wild West and Gangster live-action weekends. Basically you pay a certain $$ for the weekend and live the life, until you get killed... Then you change clothes and come back as someone else... I'm even working on a sort of "Rifts" plan, which could include many different timelines at the same time, just for fun..

If interested, just PM me and I'll keep folks posted as to how plans are going and such.

Story

I'll Lock Up
M Tatterscratch said:
You know, for a while, CofC led us to explore in the real world - We visited an abandoned church that was said to be a meeting place for a coven of witches or Satanists (we had somewhat primitive ideas about those folks back then), a haunted bridge, several graveyards, of course... all at night. 13 boys creeping into abandoned buildings for a fear fix - We had a ball!

Never saw that Nightgaunt, though. [huh]

Cthulhu Mythos 72%, Sanity 28,

T.

Y'know, that'd make a great basis for a story... something far far beyond Pennywise.
coolcthulhu.gif

And for the intrepid NNJ/NYC FL'ers...

Haunted Hoboken
by Carly Thursday December 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
I know, I know, Christmas isn't exactly the season for spooky tales and ghost stories. But Hoboken Now loves a good tale o' the supernatural, so when self-proclaimed "paranormal investigator" John Cifarelli contacted us, we just couldn't resist.

Cifarelli is the founder of New Jersey Paranormal Research and, according to his research, Hoboken is home to at least two scary spots - Arthur's Tavern and The Brass Rail. Scary as in "I see dead people," not drunk New Jersey frat guys.

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ssf/2007/12/haunted_hoboken.html

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Badluck Brody said:
Growing up as a kid, I remember all the original D&D sh-tuff (along with punk and metal and anything other than mainstream music) was considered shady and religiously questionable...So being the good alterboy that I was, I start!

But my good fellow, one of the characters that my dear friend used to play was a Catholic priest, an exorcist. We had all just gotten out of Catholic school and despite its shortcomings we all respected many aspects of it ... through that Catholic exorcist character, we kept alive a certain fondness and respect for that tradition. I think our priests would have appreciated that character's passion for defeating the evil forces that lurk beneath.

Dr Doran

M Tatterscratch said:
Don't be sorry, Mr. B.... Thanks! Sounds like we had similar experiences! One of my best friends, with whom I've played AD&D for nearly 30 years now (I started playing at age 10), was actually called out by his priest in church because he played D&D. Man, if they'd known about CofC, they would have had an Auto-de-Fe! lol

We got no end of guff - They disbanded our school gaming society, had parent-teachers conferences, and so on, but it was all over D&D. They never distinguished one from the other, thank heavens!

If I'm in the country and you want help for an HPL event, count me in! You're just up the road from me in WI. I know some other folks with the vintage and goth genes who would love it!

Gibbering and Necrophagous,

T.

Tatman, I heard of such things. Overreactions. A fine movie called MAZES AND MONSTERS sparked some of these. "Sardu ..."

If any of you cats want to start up an email game, I'm game.

Dr Doran

Badluck Brody said:
I just need to free up some time.... Possibly after the holidays???

I'm game. IA! SHUB-NIGGURATH! THE BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS WITH A THOUSAND YOUNG

ONLY A SMALL BAND OF BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN STANDS BETWEEN THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT AND THE UNUTTERABLE EVIL OF THE OLD ONES, WHOSE MINIONS PLOT THE RETURN AND RULE OF THEIR MIGHTY LORD -- GREAT CTHULHU.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
!¬°!¬°! Whiskered sea monster prowls Lake Superior !¬°!?
By Rick McGee
SooToday.com
Saturday, December 15, 2007
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=29085

What has two humps on its back, a head like a horse, and lives in Lake Superior?

Darned if we know, but there's been a lot of Internet chatter in recent days about a 30-year-old report of a bewhiskered Loch Ness monster-type creature at the lake's west end.

The real monster in the Lake is the Three Sisters. It was long thought to be a local legend.

carebear

Badluck Brody said:
At my 1st highschool (a catholic college prep school... Yeah they kept trying to straighten me out), there was a place nearby called seminary woods. It was on the property of the school and housing of the brothers and nuns that lived there.

Though it became used as more of a wild-life refuge, there were various stations of the cross through out the site.... This became a somewhat dangerous haunt and was often found to be a place of ritual and such and started beig watched by the local PD and even game wardens as I was told. And though this was back in the 80's, I believe it's still there???

Now one of my projects involve an event at the Milwaukee Irish society, which is located in an old renvated church. With three floors, including a pub on both the 1st floor, basement and such, it's a perfect setting for music, dancing and some vintage reenacting.

We also have the Midway Village Historical Center in Illinois, which has an entire town which can be used for all sorts of subtle ventures... And they also have an excellent WWII event, which occasionally calls for resistance fighters, Birtish and OSS agents...

Then we have plans for a place in Iowa which is often used for Wild West and Gangster live-action weekends. Basically you pay a certain $$ for the weekend and live the life, until you get killed... Then you change clothes and come back as someone else... I'm even working on a sort of "Rifts" plan, which could include many different timelines at the same time, just for fun..

If interested, just PM me and I'll keep folks posted as to how plans are going and such.

Sounds like "WestWorld" without the 'robots run amok' problem. :)

carebear

T. and all,

We used to game trough high school (oh yeah, I was cool ;) ) in the rectory. of the Cathedral. One of the Brothers would supervise.

Now we did play mostly Civ and Diplomacy and Supremacy, Risk, Illuminati,ya know, board games, but we ran more than one AD&D campaigns.

I always found Catholic clergy in general to be more tolerant and able to separate games from reality.

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...article_id=504969&in_page_id=1811&Satan=Santa :eek:

Pope's exorcist squads will wage war on Satan
By NICK PISA
Last updated at 16:34pm on 29th December 2007

The Pope has ordered his bishops to set up exorcism squads to tackle the rise of Satanism.
Vatican chiefs are concerned at what they see as an increased interest in the occult.
They have introduced courses for priests to combat what they call the most extreme form of "Godlessness."
Each bishop is to be told to have in his diocese a number of priests trained to fight demonic possession.
The initiative was revealed by 82-year-old Father Gabriele Amorth, the Vatican "exorcistinchief," to the online Catholic news service Petrus.

carebear

Doran said:
And I always thought cases of demonic possession were misdiagnosed epilepsy.

Silly me, I guess.

Most are believed to have been. There are some credible objective reports that epilepsy was not the case in some more recent incidents (now that we can test for such things).

I'm a big believer that either concrete, diagnosable, non-demonic medical issues or actual mental problems are the causes for such reports. (Being a Christian, I believe in the supernatural but I'm not sure how active "evil" really has to be when man in his freedom of action does such bang-up job on his own. :( )

Which leads to an interesting question.

If the victim is highly religious and has a psychological break that they exhibit as "demonic possession", is there any reason, within their own "reality", why an exorcism might not be an appropriate form of mental health treatment, at least to get them back to "normal"?

If they believe they have a demon, and they believe exorcism works, aren't they more likely to respond to that treatment better than being tied to a couch and told "it's all in your head"?

Of course real counseling (which many religious are trained and certified in, lots of Catholic priests are psych-ia-olo-tri-gi-sts) should then follow. Real or not, "having a demon" is gonna mess with your head.

Dr Doran

carebear said:
If the victim is highly religious and has a psychological break that they exhibit as "demonic possession", is there any reason, within their own "reality", why an exorcism might not be an appropriate form of mental health treatment, at least to get them back to "normal"?

If they believe they have a demon, and they believe exorcism works, aren't they more likely to respond to that treatment better than being tied to a couch and told "it's all in your head"?

Of course real counseling (which many religious are trained and certified in, lots of Catholic priests are psych-ia-olo-tri-gi-sts) should then follow. Real or not, "having a demon" is gonna mess with your head.

I'll humor them and prescribe an exorcism. I'm liberal that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner