Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you Cthulhu much!?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
OK!

Here's what I suggest then.. we can use this opportunity to put together some character ideas.... and also throw together some plot ideas.....

I think that truthfully once we get going, everyone is going to know how each other plays and can assist folks when they're not there.

I for one give you guys the go ahead if I'm off line and can't answer, to do what needs to be done with my character to keep the ball rolling....

Character developement!!!!

Even if we take a few days of just building background on characters.....

BTW: who's in????

Also if folks can throw out a few ideas or suggestions.... I MIGHT be able to take the reigns for starters... besides...there's nothing wrong with occasionally passing the torch or maybe working with a mole to keep the story moving.....

Buuuuhahahahahhahaha!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jenny_dreadful said:
This program is really, really good for doing the stats, with the tradtional character sheet even:http://yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?n...op=getit&lid=4. I think it's a good idea to have stats because, even if the Keeper/referee doesn't always make rolls, it's a really precise way to know the character's strengths and weaknesses. I don't know if it makes too much difference whether the stats are open and hidden... But if there are things in the personal history of the character that the character is secretive about and is unlikely to have told the other characters, orrr advantages/disadvantages that others are unlikely to know about, then we could just send those to the Keeper. All sneaky-like ;)

Timeline...I think 20's or early 30's. It doesn't matter to me very much where the location is...those Elder Gods have eyes everywhere! I know there are pre-written scenarios on the Yog-Shoggoth site, and it is also really easy to download pdfs of the main book and of scenarios published by Chaosium from...a well-known peer-to-peer program (I'm not sure if I can say it outright!). So whoever runs could use the date used in the scenario, or change it as long as the story doesn't hinge on topical events.

Oooh, I want a few days to think about my character, and I'm sure the Keeper (not me, not me!) will need some time to work out their story! Whee!

I am with you 100%. Especially about the chronological frame.

If no one else desires to be Keeper, I could conceivably do it. I have notes from adventures I refereed 20+ years ago which I could conceivably use. Only if no one else wants to. But if anyone else is fired up, please be my guest.

I don't see how Scotrace needs in on it unless he is interested - if that is the Scotty you were referring to.

I am quite impressed that you worked for GDW, Story. I used to play something by them. Did they do "Traveler"? Or was that someone else? Steve Jackson or something? My professional experience in this field is nonexistent. I had an article prospectus for "Gamma World" approved by Dragon magazine in the early 80s when I was a young teen, but I never produced it. Similarly, I had a post-apocalypse game prospectus approved by another company, perhaps Chaosium but I really don't remember, also in the early 80s but I was too lame to work it up. Too young, I guess. I was under 16. But I was PSYCHED.

Are we using Chaosium CofC rules or GURPS rules? "Advantages and disadvantages" was just mentioned, which was a (wonderful) GURPS thing, but then again the GURPS rules do not have "sanity points" which were a key element of the Chaosium rules.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Doran said:
I am with you 100%. Especially about the chronological frame.

If no one else desires to be Keeper, I could conceivably do it. I have notes from adventures I refereed 20+ years ago which I could conceivably use. Only if no one else wants to. But if anyone else is fired up, please be my guest.

I don't see how Scotrace needs in on it unless he is interested - if that is the Scotty you were referring to.

I am quite impressed that you worked for GDW, Story. I used to play something by them. Did they do "Traveler"? Or was that someone else? Steve Jackson or something? My professional experience in this field is nonexistent. I had an article prospectus for "Gamma World" approved by Dragon magazine in the early 80s when I was a young teen, but I never produced it. Similarly, I had a post-apocalypse game prospectus approved by another company, perhaps Chaosium but I really don't remember, also in the early 80s but I was too lame to work it up. Too young, I guess. I was under 16. But I was PSYCHED.

Are we using Chaosium CofC rules or GURPS rules? "Advantages and disadvantages" was just mentioned, which was a (wonderful) GURPS thing, but then again the GURPS rules do not have "sanity points" which were a key element of the Chaosium rules.

I don't know GURPS rules, but I guess it doen't matter when I'm not running. Advantages/Disadvantages could easily be added to the CoC rules though. However it's done, I think some kind of sanity points are integral.

There's a Chaosium campaign I always wanted to play called Horror on the Orient Express. Out of print, but easy to find on p2p programs. I might have it on my computer in pdf, though I've made a point of never reading it so mabye I could play it one day. Maybe if we make it through a short campaign alright, we could do that next!

Steve Jackson, heh heh! Do you remember those role-playing books he did that were like Choose Your Own Adventure, but more complicated? I loved those.

I just noticed that I'm the only girl geeky enough to be in this thread.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
jenny_dreadful said:
Steve Jackson, heh heh! Do you remember those role-playing books he did that were like Choose Your Own Adventure, but more complicated? I loved those.

I just noticed that I'm the only girl geeky enough to be in this thread.
Geek girls rock: official.

The Steve Jackson of 'Fighting Fantasy' fame is the one behind Games Workshop. He's not the same Steve Jackson who came up with GURPS.

I know, it confuses everyone.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Geek girls rock: official.

The Steve Jackson of 'Fighting Fantasy' fame is the one behind Games Workshop. He's not the same Steve Jackson who came up with GURPS.

I know, it confuses everyone.[/QUOTE]

Haaa, I always thought it was the same one! I think I get geek girl points for knowing enough about it to be confused by it, though! :D

Oooh, found on Wikipedia: He (of GURPS) is often mistaken for a different Steve Jackson, a British gamebook and video game writer who co-founded Games Workshop. The confusion is exacerbated by the fact that while the UK Jackson was co-creator of the Fighting Fantasy gamebook series, the US Jackson also wrote three books in this series (Scorpion Swamp, Demons of the Deep, and Robot Commando).

carebear

Steve Jackson of Battlesuit, Ogre, GEV and soooooo many other great table toppers.

I was actually talking Ogre with my brother-in-law's brother over the holidays. Real flashbacks.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
2 bits

OK truthfully it's a huge task worrying about every stat and skill kinda thing

I would totally welcome folks to roll and keep sheets. But really I think the goal is to have a cool way to vent creative tallent and form a good story-line.

If it's agreed upon, I think some simple physical traits, a background intro and we should go with it... If it turns into a wash of super heros and invincible folks, we pull the riegns in a bit. But otherwise we should take a few days to build some background on the characters

Also the reason I like using the Lounge (kinda like the Stream Of Conciousness thread) is that I can get it anywhere on anyone's computer. It also allows folks to enjoy the story and maybe even join in or start an off shoot.

The fun part that I've found it actually seeing the different directions which take place and sometimes the everyday antics which happen.

Do you have to be a perfect writer??? not a chance! Were not in any rush. Let's just have fun and show a creative edge. That's what the Lounge is here for, so why not share and enjoy the facility we've all come to enjoy??!!

I will be glad to lead the 1st round of misadventures.

My requests are this...

1.) Have fun!!
2.) Be creative!!
3.) Don't try to bump each other off like we did when we were kids, at the drop of a hat.
4.) Try to develope your character
5.) Allow folks some freedom with theirs.
6.) Play nice kids!
7.) Play it cinematic.
8.) Just remember... If you start leaving a trail of bodies and burnt shells, the cops are gonna take notice...

If folks agree. I'll follow with a basic intro to a character and his background. Through the writing, folks will start to realize the background info, basic skills, disposition and even some disadvantages.

Some of this is actually from a script I had written and will probably never get to shoot. So why not mix it with some filler and let someone enjoy it..

If everyone agrees, I'll start the ball, till folks get up to speed.

Dr Doran

I guess I'm cool with your plan, Badluck. I say we go ahead with it. You want to referee? That sounds fine.

And Jenny -- as far as I am concerned, you're not a geek unless this occupies all your life. My thoughts are, as long as you keep it under reasonable control and don't tell everyone else about it (such as my wife, who thinks the whole thing is dangerous-geek-city -- but then she also hates my monocle) it's fine to have one geeky hobby. It is somewhat upsetting and sad to go to a party and see someone talking about how his wizard killed a troll; when the person is clearly over 15, this doesn't look good and one hopes they did not come to the party to meet potential dates. That's why I would never talk about this stuff in mixed company. -- Then again, it is only a basic rule of politeness to tailor one's conversation to the interests of the people present anyway in any social situation. When I meet Loungers in person I do not discuss the building program of Periclean Athens, or Roman demography of the late Republic.

Some people would consider almost all this vintage cr#p we discuss on the Lounge to be geeky or objectionable ... Some not-very-creative and not very aesthetic types.

I initially got out of the gaming biz because I found gamers to be too geeky after I had entered adolescence long enough to pursue girls (I was about 14 - 15). But the advantage of playing with Lounge people is that they are sharp, stylish, knowledgeable folks who do not lack the social graces.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I agree!

Infact I still have friends who never outgrew the gaming scene and when I stumble across them seem somewhat socially challenged...

What's nice for me is this is a way to vent my creativity in a nonfatal manner. The work I do can be live or die...This is just a fun way to vent without anyone getting hurt. Plus you meet some great people and make some good friends!

Did I mention the creativity!!!???

Give me a bit and I'll throw out a sample, then eventually launch another thread to keep rolling.

If you folks can put together your personnas I think we can get crackin with the storyline right away.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Badluck, I think your plan sounds good. The only thing that I'd like to add is that I think we should have an element of challenge. Not just the challenge of being creative, but that obstacles (whether they're physical, sanity-threatening, or clues to a mystery) be set before us. And that I think it would be better if it were not nearly as free-form as the "stream of consciousness" thread. You might already be thinking along those lines, anyway! So yeah, I'll work on my character. How much detail do you need? Just a description, short personal history, significant skills, advantages/disadvantages?

I just want to add, thanks for doing this!

Dr Doran

jenny_dreadful said:
And that I think it would be better if it were not nearly as free-form as the "stream of consciousness" thread. !

I SECOND JENNY'S MOTION STRONGLY. Very very strongly. Brody, why don't you make the dice rolls. Let us hope they do not conform to your nickname.

My character: Horatio Hieronymous O'Malley. Tall, ugly to the point of hideous. Pale. Constant cough. Smiles seldomly. PhD in Greek and Roman history. Somewhere in his 30s. Unmarried. Extremely short hair. Atheist; can be rude to religious folk. Wears black spectacles. Missing one finger on right hand. Some understanding of occult.

I can flesh it out more when necessary.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Doran said:
I SECOND JENNY'S MOTION STRONGLY. Very very strongly. Brody, why don't you make the dice rolls. Let us hope they do not conform to your nickname.

My character: Horatio Hieronymous O'Malley. Tall, ugly to the point of hideous. Pale. Constant cough. Smiles seldomly. PhD in Greek and Roman history. Somewhere in his 30s. Unmarried. Extremely short hair. Atheist; can be rude to religious folk. Wears black spectacles. Missing one finger on right hand. Some understanding of occult.

I can flesh it out more when necessary.

Oh, wow, Horatio sounds interesting--such a classic CoC type of character!

My character: Gwendolyn Cornell. Newspaper love advice columnist, mid-twenties. 5'3", average in build, brunette hair cut into a fashionable bob. Much too saucy for her own good, and takes a perverse delight in saying what she shouldn't. Curious to a fault. Interested in psychology on an amateur level. Screen star fanatic. Despite her supposed expertise in affairs de coeur, she's secretly in love (to no avail thus far) with her pal Eddie, dashing investigative reporter and unrepentant skirt-chaser.

I can flesh it out more when necessary, too!

Dr Doran

jenny_dreadful said:
Oh, wow, Horatio sounds interesting--such a classic CoC type of character!

My character: Gwendolyn Cornell. Newspaper love advice columnist, mid-twenties. 5'3", average in build, brunette hair cut into a fashionable bob. Much too saucy for her own good, and takes a perverse delight in saying what she shouldn't. Curious to a fault. Interested in psychology on an amateur level. Screen star fanatic. Despite her supposed expertise in affairs de coeur, she's secretly in love (to no avail thus far) with her pal Eddie, dashing investigative reporter and unrepentant skirt-chaser.

I can flesh it out more when necessary, too!

Darn, I was hoping you'd say she was in love with Horatio Hieronymous O'Malley. Now THAT would be a plot twist. Especially since he's an ugly mof.

BTW have any of you played the 1980s CoC "module" called, I believe, "Shadows of Yog-Sothoth"? It was very well-done. It had an organization called The Silver Twilight (clearly loosely based on Aleister Crowley's Golden Dawn).

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Doran said:
Darn, I was hoping you'd say she was in love with Horatio Hieronymous O'Malley. Now THAT would be a plot twist. Especially since he's an ugly mof.

Ha! ;D Well, you never know. Maybe he has hidden charms! It could be kind of a Venus/Vulcan thing!

BTW have any of you played the 1980s CoC "module" called, I believe, "Shadows of Yog-Sothoth"? It was very well-done. It had an organization called The Silver Twilight (clearly loosely based on Aleister Crowley's Golden Dawn).

I've heard of it and its popularity, but I never played it. I played short scenarios that involved The Silver Twilight, but somehow I never made the Golden Dawn connection. Silly me! My boyfriend just told me that Yeats and Bram Stoker were involved in that.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Thanks to Jenny Dreadfull, (the coolest nick ever,) I found this thread. How could I have missed it? Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck with the gaming project. Me, I need to see and hear my roleplaying compadres, so I think I'll pass. But good luck, great idea! And remember: When everything else fails, use dynamite!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24