Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you doff yours?

Michaelson

One Too Many
It reminds me of the common practice of the working press as well back then. They rarely (if EVER) removed their hats...and usually carried their press badges attached to their ribbons. This way their hands were free to either carry their pads and pencils, as well as photographers their gear. Regards. Michaelson

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Nice thing about being a woman, I can keep my hat on, though I do remove it in the office and sometimes in a restaurant if it gets hot. Also when I am seeing my clients at work, I don't wear the hat as it is still considered "eccentric."

There was a time when men removed their hats in church, but women didn't. There was a time when women had to wear hats in some church settings, i.e. Catholic church, or at least cover their heads in some fashion, to show humility, I think.

Don't orthodox Jews wear hats in the synagog? At least the men do. Then, of course, there are Hassidic Jews who wear hats all the time.

My grandfather always wore a hat, indoors and out and even at the dinner table. I don't know what that was about, he had a beautiful head of hair, but I used to joke that maybe he wore the hat to bed. The only time I ever saw him without his hat is when I sat on his lap, removed the hat, put it on my head, and combed his hair.

karol

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by STHill
Great, now I have this really uncomfortable mental image of Retro Grouch walking around in his back yard in his boxer shorts and a fedora.

I guess that could be a disturbing visual. Sorry. :eek: :)

Tom

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
I always take off my hat in church.

I don't take off my hat at the mall.

I wear my hat in the car.

I take it off after I order and sit down at Starbucks.

When I go see customers, I leave it in the car (I get tired of explaining the "hat thing").

I take it off when I get to my office at work.

I take it off at "table service" restaurants.

I take it off at the "brothel" (but I leave my boots on ofcourse)

I take it off in my house.

I take it off when I first meet someone and/or shake their hand (chicks dig that!).

I tip my hat to acknowlege someone that I know at a distance.

I tilt it back to show disbelief (like "what?!?!!")

I throw it on the ground and stomp on it when I throw a tantrum (what do you mean, you are out of garlic bagels!!!) LOL!

I like the 8 foot rule and the outdoor jacket rule. Keep this thread going!

Chas

thefish

Familiar Face
Originally posted by Zohar
Our Highway Patrol officers always wear campaign hats outside, and are required to put it on when they exit the vehicle on a stop.

That's true in Ohio as well. In fact, if the Highway Patrolman doesn't wear his hat when he writes you the ticket, you can take it to court as invalid, because he was out of uniform!

Silly things you learn in youth when your father drives a truck for a living...

I try to keep proper hat etiquette in mind when I wear my fedora, (which has been almost every day since I got my new one.) Which is to say I follow all the written and unwritten codes for it as well as I practically can. If it's going to cause me more than minor discomfort, or if removing it, and trying to carry/work with what I'm doing is going to either cause me to screw up, or smash my hat to an inrecognisable mass of fur felt, I'll leave it on.

I'll take it off in burger joints if I have a clean spot on the table to place it in. I sometimes don't take it off in nicer restaurants if there's no place on the table, in a nearby chair, or what have you to set it, because I've seen what happens to hats that are left at public coat racks!

I'll just be rude, thanks...

But other than that, if I have a free hand at work, I take it off travelling from office to classroom or back. If not, it stays on my head. I tip my hat when I get the chance.

I take it off in people's homes, places of worship, and at public events where the national anthem or a public prayer is being performed.

The only time I DON'T do the above is if I'm wearing a hat while running a video camera for an event. At that point, it is a difference between being polite, and being professional. If in order to take my hat off during the national anthem, I have to lock down the camera tripod so it doesn't move, remove my headset, take off my hat, put my headset back on, and go back to manning the camera. I've potentially missed 5 or 6 instructions from the director, or 2 or 3 camera shots that were needed.

Yeah, people don't seem to care, or even notice anymore, as it's perfectly acceptable to wear ball caps indoors!

It AMAZES me how many "Flag-Wavin-Proud-To-Be-American" folks leave those ball caps on during the National Anthem. If we want to maintain traditional values, I think it's important that we KNOW what those values are! (but then, it also amazes me how much these patriotic folks displaying the flag on sweat shirts, car antennaes, bumper stickers, ball caps, and such will let these items fade, tatter, and become generally defaced! Might as well burn it!)

I digress...

To answer the question, I follow a tradition of hat etiquette that has been slightly modified due to current trends in culture and the sometimes-nature of my career

-Dan

Michaelson

One Too Many
Never could wear a fedora while on a shoot.... that was until I went from headsets to ear plug....then the eyepiece got under the brim, and my hat went cockeyed. (That was on an ENG shoot, though. EFP was a lot easier when I got to use a tripod) Of course, that was when field gear was HUGE with 3 tube cameras and U-Matic field machines! Regards. Michaelson:eek:

Originally posted by Michaelson
Never could wear a fedora while on a shoot.... that was until I went from headsets to ear plug....then the eyepiece got under the brim, and my hat went cockeyed. (That was on an ENG shoot, though. EFP was a lot easier when I got to use a tripod) Of course, that was when field gear was HUGE with 3 tube cameras and U-Matic field machines! Regards. Michaelson:eek:

Ah, the good old days when the Brownie 6 was a state of the art camera and dinosaurs still ruled the earth. LOL LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yep. I started out on B&W reel to reel video tape machines, and single tube video Sony cameras. MAN have things changed!:confused: It's tough staying on firm footing in this industry anymore. Used to be nothing changed but every 5 years...now it's every 5 minutes!Regards. Michaelson:rolleyes:

Used to be nothing changed but every 5 years...now it's every 5 minutes!Regards. Michaelson:rolleyes:

Sounds like computer technology. My computer gave out a while ago and I had to have it rebuilt. It is now twice as fast with much more capabilities than before. This is just after a year or two. You have to keep moving in this era because you will fall behind really quick. :eek: Modern times. :confused:

Regards to all,

J

thefish

Familiar Face

I learned on 3/4 and have an old non-operational Hitachi Denshi solid-state tube camera that I use when I teach video production to compare to the handheld gear we have now.

My personal camera is a Canon XL-1, (no more geek-talk, I swear! Well, maybe hat-geek, but not video-geek,) which has a fairly short profile, when compared to normal ENG-style cameras, and even hand-held I can get away with wearing my fedora with it. In fact, as I don't really like holding my face firmly against the eyepiece, the brim on my Akubra keeps out unwanted glare, (my wearable french flag!) I also tend to wear those nifty "wrap around the back of your head" earphones, which stay out of the way of fedoras. Intercom headsets, however! Those force me to wear the dreaded "ball cap." GAH!

-Dan

Michaelson

One Too Many
In field production, I used to use Sony DXC 6000's and VO4800 decks, and the occasional DXC 1800 single tubes. I'm now using DXC 930 CCD's in studio configuration...no field work required in my current position.

Those of 6000's used to cost $35,000 a piece, plus an additional $5000 for the 14x Fujinon lens. The old videographer who worked with me way back when told me that if I felt myself losing my balance while working on the rigid mast cranes we had at our plant (165 feet up in the air), be sure to toss the camera and deck to someone before I fell. Equipment was hard to come by....they could always hire another camera man. :rolleyes: Ah, the joys of being a government employee......;)

That was at Goodyear Atomic, down Piketon, Ohio way. I'm an ex-Buckeye, Dan.

Regards. Michaelson

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I don't think movies are a good judge of hat etiquette. LLoyd Nolan even jokes about it in "Somewhere in the Night". People are thrown off when he takes his hat off indoors but in the movies detectives always keep their hats on. Bottom line is, in movies (especially film noir) the visual is more important than what people would really do.

Did it have a roof or were you al fresco? :D
Out in the open air I might just leave it on for protection from the sun and wind.
If it were enclosed with a roof on it then I would probably take it off. There werre probably other people with Godawful baseball caps on though.

Regards,

J LOL

Scandinavia Jones

New in Town
Interesting reading, gentlemen!
A funny thing - and quite contradictory to what I've read here - I have a book on social etiquette written in 1938 (by a Swedish author). In the chapter on hats, the author claims that "Americans seldom remove the hat from their heads - the exception is when they greet a lady."

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Originally posted by madhatter
Interesting reading, gentlemen!
A funny thing - and quite contradictory to what I've read here - I have a book on social etiquette written in 1938 (by a Swedish author). In the chapter on hats, the author claims that "Americans seldom remove the hat from their heads - the exception is when they greet a lady."

Americans didn't take their hats off to Swedes in 1938 huh?

You know what, I don't think Americans take their hats off to Swedes nowadays either! LOL

Scandinavia Jones

New in Town
You know what, I don't think Americans take their hats off to Swedes nowadays either!
Why's that?

Not even for the Swedish ladies? :D

(I think Mr. Wingårdh's (the author's) point was that Americans didn't remove their hats... in America. The book is very entertaining and tongue-in-cheek... he might just have pulled a fast one.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace