Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Float Your Hats on your head?

Stoney

Practically Family
I'm sure there is no real social significance as to which side the hat tilts towards. Floating, however sound like it may hold some connotation such as which ear you have your stud in.

As for me, I wear them all over my head depending upon the type of hat and my current mood. I can say that I've never floated one on my head , as there has always been some point of contact between hat and hair involved.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Depends on my mood. I place it back on my head when I am feeling friendly (maybe I envision a "howdy" cowboy/farmer look) or if I am a bit too warm. It sort of cools me off a bit. I wear it straight down low when I am dead serious or if the weather is bad (envisioning perhaps Bogart with a gun). And if I am feeling a bit jaunty, it is tipped a little to the side, usually to the left.

karol

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Brinybay said:
Being a newbie, I don't know what "float your hat" means. And at the risk of sounding blasphemous, I'll admit I don't always wear the one fedora I have. If by "floating" you mean tilting the hat, it varies, depending on if I'm in my car or outside of it. When I'm in my car, it's tilted slightly to the left, when I'm outside of my car, it's to the right. That is because I forget to duck and hit the top of the hat on the roof of the car as I'm getting in and out.

To me, "float your hat" simply means letting it sit on top of my head without pulling it "snug".

On a windy day I really like to wear one of my wool felt hats with the cloth sweat band. It's real easy to pull it down snug so it won't fly away :D

I tend to put my hats on tilted straight ahead. Then as I'm ambling along, I'll pull my hat down to the right - to keep it on snug. After all, I'm right handed :)

Abyss

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll have to look under the ribbon to see if I can spot where it used to be attached to.

I think I agree with the poster above me; in windier days, the wool felt with elastic headbands work better as they can be pulled more snug more comfortably. I've hardly had a problem with my wool fedora in the wind, and the two times the wind blew my hat off, I made really suave catches, as if I meant for the hat to fly behind me.

Abyss

Familiar Face
Dominant eye stuff is very real. Another test is to focus on something, form a triangle with your fingers around the object, then bring that triangle close to your face- whichever eye the triangle goes to is your dominant one.

I know that people have dominant eyes because I teach archery, and although sometimes people may be right handed they could still have a problem hitting the target; switching them to using the bow left handed generally makes them more accurate. That is because their dominant eye is then used instead of their weak one. Firearms are another discipline where dominant eyes come into play.

Although, some people just don't have dominant eyes, just like some people don't really have a dominant hand (although eye dominance seems to be more random than hand dominance).

Wow, it seems like I can't stay on topic in this thread :p

Edward

Bartender
K.D. Lightner said:
Depends on my mood. I place it back on my head when I am feeling friendly (maybe I envision a "howdy" cowboy/farmer look) or if I am a bit too warm. It sort of cools me off a bit. I wear it straight down low when I am dead serious or if the weather is bad (envisioning perhaps Bogart with a gun). And if I am feeling a bit jaunty, it is tipped a little to the side, usually to the left.

karol

As I recall, they used to say how you wore your hat reflected your mood. Tilted back, you're easy, you got all day, no worries; tilted right down forwards - look out! you're not a happy customer and not to be messed with; jaunty angled, cocked to one side: you're looking for a woman or a fight, whatever comes first. lol

Mr. 'H' said:
Is there a significance if it tilts to the left or the right?

I tilt to the lhs but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

You're not by any chance left handed? I am myself, and I wear a hat tilted to the left. My dominant-handedness has a big influence on what feels comfortable in things like that.

K

Kaosharper1

Windy

I find that the "indy raiders twist" (rotating the hat so it fits tighter) works pretty well in the wind. It makes the hat just tight enough to stand up to moderate wind. After all, I'm sure that's why they did it in the Raiders movie. As Harrison Ford said, Indy's hat can't fall off unless its part of the plot, usually a joke.

It may look a little strange, but not as bad as chasing your hat down the street.

undertaker

Practically Family
kowalskt63 said:
I like em down low and tilted front and right. Some even touch my right ear lobe. Just gives me a little added confidence rubbing on my lobe. I also like the fact that when I look straight at someone my eyes are a bit obscured by the sloping brim in front. Adds a bit of mystery to the look. Aw hell, it looks kinda cool to.... :)

You are man after mine own heart. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I like for them to nearly touch my right ear...They just look right that way.

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider