Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you freeze your vodka?

Do you freeze your vodka?

• Total voters

dnjan

One Too Many
When I was in school a neighbor would make his martinis the day before, and store them in the freezing compartment. The lack of (melted) ice was made up for by the higher (4:1) vermouth content.
I never turned down one of his martinis.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
dnjan said:
When I was in school a neighbor would make his martinis the day before, and store them in the freezing compartment. The lack of (melted) ice was made up for by the higher (4:1) vermouth content.
I never turned down one of his martinis.

"You can no more keep a martini in the refrigerator than you can keep a kiss there. "

Bernard DeVoto

But, hey, if it tastes good! ;)

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Yes always now since I had a Russian boyfriend. lol It changes the consistency and makes the vodka far easier to drink. (as we do, in shots with meals)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Ada Vice said:
Yes always now since I had a Russian boyfriend. lol It changes the consistency and makes the vodka far easier to drink. (as we do, in shots with meals)

Precisely. After living in Russia, the idea of not freezing vodka just sounds wrong to me. Especially with Russian vodka that might taste less distilled than say, Grey Goose.

Then again, I only use vodka for shots... maybe it ain't the best for mixology.

Strangely, though, I'd never considered freezing other liquors besides vodka (or gin or aquavit)... and now I wonder... why not freeze cheap whiskeys? It can't make 'em worse, right?

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
CopperNY said:
always Luksusowa vodka, and always in the freezer.

second choice is Crystal Head.

Never had either. Will have to try. I've generally loved any Polish vodkas I've tried.

A friend of mine just returned from Russia with a gift for me, my favorite vodka, Zelyonana Marka. It's in the freezer waiting...

matei

One Too Many
We always have a bottle (or two) of Stolichnaya in the freezer. One must always be prepared for any situation!

I never know when one of Matei's famous vodka martinis will be requested.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Jack Scorpion said:
Never had either. Will have to try. I've generally loved any Polish vodkas I've tried.

A friend of mine just returned from Russia with a gift for me, my favorite vodka, Zelyonana Marka. It's in the freezer waiting...

i've heard it argued that vodka is -originally- Polish, and Luksusowa potato vodka is incredible at the price. takes on a great viscosity in the freezer.

Crystal Head seemed like a gimmick (skull shaped bottle) until i tried it. incredible. i've tried the Grey Gooses' and similar, but this was exceptional.

Bebop

Practically Family
Vodka (or any hard liquor) will not freeze therefore it will not be diluted by keeping it in the freezer. The freezer is where my Stoli sleeps.

If your vodka is freezing, it's because someone drank most of it and refilled it with water......:eek:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bebop said:
Vodka (or any hard liquor) will not freeze
Sure it will.

* 24 proof liquor freezes at -6.7°C (20°F)
* 64 proof liquor freezes at -23.33°C (-10°F)
* 84 proof liquor freezes at -34.44°C (-30°F)

;)

Bebop

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Sure it will.

* 24 proof liquor freezes at -6.7°C (20°F)
* 64 proof liquor freezes at -23.33°C (-10°F)
* 84 proof liquor freezes at -34.44°C (-30°F)

;)

I technically stand corrected. Of course you can freeze liquor.

I have never had any liquor freeze in my freezer. I suppose you could bring your refrigerator freezer down that low but why? Most people don't keep their freezers that cold.........do they? There is no need to have a freezer at -30. You can only freeze things until they are frozen. Then it's overkill.

Geesie

Practically Family
Hm.
I spent time in Russia and I never had vodka chilled much less frozen (except by transport from point of purchase to point of consumption). It's not like you need to kill the taste when $15 in Russia will get you far better vodka than that
overpriced French stuff.

Also, when it comes to my liquor 'oily consistency' doesn't sound thrilling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points