Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you get comments when you DON'T dress vintage?

Lillemor

One Too Many
crazydaisy, I know you're right. I've calmed down.:) A few buttons just got pushed accidentally.;) My husband doesn't always "get it" either because I've always been old fashioned in my style but there have always been retro 1930s-early 60s elements in my style along with other historical influences and in periods I really did try to embrace contemporary trends so maybe at times he just assumes I need/want more help in that direction.

I've been equally defensive about my other historically inspired styles and generally gothic leanings in the past. I just don't like having my styles critized and even when someone compliments something I wear, I have the unfortunate habit of interpreting it as a criticism of some other style I like. I'm difficult!lol I don't care what every man and his pet thinks. I just find it hard not to care what those close to me think.

Inky

One Too Many
Apparently I have crossed over to being "that vintage girl" without even realizing it, because today at dance class one of our acquaintances saw me and said "well, this is the first time I have seen you in clothing from this century." lol

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I spent four days at a music festival dressing like a body-painted, feather-headressed hippie in long patterned dresses and with mud-covered feet. Since arriving home, it's been a slow, slow process getting back into vintage dressing. Several people have told me that I seem "friendlier" and "more approachable" when I'm dressed in my festival-wear, and I don't quite know how to feel about it.

Here I am at Bonnaroo '09.
4814_1094540808603_1379040142_30-1.jpg

And here I am in vintage.
n40512574_34206175_2536-1.jpg

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice from you ladies of the Lounge. I'm just feeling a little down about this, and I have literally NO vintage community around/near me!

Mary

Practically Family
Oh, please post pics!

Fleur De Guerre said:
No one ever sees me dressing modern! I just don't own anything without a bit of VI flair. But my best friend nearly fell off her chair when I told her I'd bought a pair of jeans... all Miss Bella Hell's fault for introducing me to something with such a flattering cut! ;) I haven't been brave enough to wear my jeans to work yet... talk about the complete opposite of most people! lol

SayCici

Practically Family
Well, for me it'd be more important to take into account how I feel when I'm dressed one way as opposed to another. Someone could come up to me and say, "Wow, you look so much friendlier in jeans", and that's great I guess, but I don't feel good in jeans. When I'm wearing jeans and a blouse, I might look okay, but I don't feel that way. I feel like somebody trying to dress up like someone they're not.

I think you also might want to consider the kind of people you want to attract (not necessarily mating-wise, but friendships). I find that when I'm out in vintage clothing, I tend to get into a lot more conversations and I meet more people than when I am slumming it. Maybe this is different for you.

For me, the way I dress really is an expression of myself. Coupled with my tattoos, it shows a certain rejection of modern standards and the values of our society.

Do what makes you happy! And if it's both vintage and 'hippie', who says being vintage has to be a full time job? When you're not enjoying your wardrobe, get a new one.

Spiffy said:
I spent four days at a music festival dressing like a body-painted, feather-headressed hippie in long patterned dresses and with mud-covered feet. Since arriving home, it's been a slow, slow process getting back into vintage dressing. Several people have told me that I seem "friendlier" and "more approachable" when I'm dressed in my festival-wear, and I don't quite know how to feel about it.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice from you ladies of the Lounge. I'm just feeling a little down about this, and I have literally NO vintage community around/near me!

PS. The 'problem' might even be simpler than you think. A big part of that is the way they dress. Just in those two pictures, your festival wear seems brighter and more colorful (which may have something to do with the comments you received), though maybe the second picture isn't a good representation of your whole vintage closet!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Spiffy said:

I think your vintage look is fantastic and you should definitely stick with it. It's true that a lot of people don't understand that we like these vintage styles. If it makes you happy to dress vintage, then keep doing it.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I know those well meaning compliments often feel a bit "hurtful" for lack of better wording. I haven't experienced it in a vintage vs. contemporary context but in so many other situations so I can imagine how I'd feel. Even my vintage style (retro actually) is very colorful, fun and bright so I don't think anyone think I look particularly formal. Older ladies are nicer and talk more to me when I'm in vintage so I guess how you feel about these comments can in part depend on what type of people you want to attract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner