Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you go Commando?

Drappa

One Too Many
I'm not sure if it's related, but I used to work with Royal Marines, also called Commandos (in the UK at least), and they are notorious for not wearing underwear. In fact, the training establishment I worked at had daily orders (like a daily newsletter, also including orders) reminding them to please wear underwear to medical appointments and uniform fittings, and many still turned up without I was told.
I am not sure why they do it, but it may be because they have to shower several times a day during training and constantly change their uniforms, which are also frequently wet. Less hassle I suppose.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I always wear a bra, not always knickers, not with a girdle, and more often than not in summer, if i'm wearing a not too short dress or skirt then no, i never wear underwear in bed either, just a nightie or pyjamas if that. But i do wear undies with trousers or jeans mostly as it can be a little uncomfortable and staggering around looking like John Wayne is not a good look!

miss_elise

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
It was an episode of Friends. Joey introduced the term as far as I remember.

wikipedia said:
The origins of the phrase are uncertain, with some speculating that it may refer to being "out in the open" or "ready for action". Slate magazine's Daniel Engber dates the modern usage to college campuses circa 1974, where it was perhaps associated with soldiers in the Vietnam War, who were reputed to go without underwear to "increase ventilation and reduce moisture."[3] The earliest known use of the term in print occurred on January 22, 1985 when Jim Spencer wrote in the Chicago Tribune "Furthermore, colored briefs are 'sleazy' and going without underwear ("going commando", as they say on campus) is simply gross." A 1996 episode of the television sitcom Friends, "The One Where No One's Ready", has been credited with introducing the term "into the popular vernacular."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_commando

RosebudMarie

New in Town
Off topic?

I just love how you brits call them "knickers". So much more fun to say than "Underwear" (as it's called here), "Underpants" or "Panties".

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Nooo, Friends didn't invent the term! I think that episode probably popularised it though.

It was the first time I had heard it, and after that it seemed to be everywhere!

miss_elise said:

Thanks! I had no idea it had been around so long.

RosebudMarie said:
Off topic?

I just love how you brits call them "knickers". So much more fun to say than "Underwear" (as it's called here), "Underpants" or "Panties".

I HATE the word "panties"! Underwear, underpants, undies but panties just sounds sleazy to me. Don't know why. I also quite like "kegs" for undies, which I think is a Northern English thing.

de-stressed

New in Town
Puzzicato said:
I HATE the word "panties"! Underwear, underpants, undies but panties just sounds sleazy to me. Don't know why. I also quite like "kegs" for undies, which I think is a Northern English thing.

I also absolutely hate the word "panties"! Always have, always will.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Miss 1940's said:
I dont think so!
Just thinking about it gives me the heebie Jeebies

I'd shower in bra and knickers if I could! Well, maybe not, but the thought of going out in public with no underclothing is not something that I could imagine. I mean, what if I got run over or something?!! :eek: Commando, hell no!

I've never heard the one about it being unhealthy not, ahem, letting it all hang out for sleeptime, but I simply couldn't slip into the arms of Morpheus without both housebra and undies. And PJ's. And eye mask. And cotton gloves a la Doris Day. And pith helmet. Just joking about the pith helmet.

I've not a great fondness for the word "panties", but I used to work with a girl who was positively allergic to it. I have an allergy to British truncations like "choccie" and "biccies" and "hols", so we'd wind each other up with these word wars...all in good fun. I did threaten to quit, though, if I had to listen to any more Harry Potter on audiobook. Not an empty threat.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I'm an undies-on kinda girl. I don't care if other people go without but I'm just timid and clumsy to go without. I'd probably trip on the sidewalk and flash my goods to everyone on the street.

annet

One of the Regulars
ZombieGirl said:
I'm an undies-on kinda girl. I don't care if other people go without but I'm just timid and clumsy to go without. I'd probably trip on the sidewalk and flash my goods to everyone on the street.

exactly what i am thinking.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't go commando, because I love knickers! I have lots of nice ones and I love wearing them. Plus I have experienced wind-based flashing a few times when in a cotton frock, so wouldn't dare!

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I wouldn't go commando, because I love knickers! I have lots of nice ones and I love wearing them. Plus I have experienced wind-based flashing a few times when in a cotton frock, so wouldn't dare!

Haha, yes, totally worried about this!

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
I have never gone commando, I never will. If it gets to the point where I've ran out of knickers, I have been reduced to wearing the shorts I wear to bed as underwear. Or nicking my mans boxers.
Either way, I'm too clumsy to go without. Plus I'm so paranoid, If I go dancing in a full skirt I'll wear my usual underwear and a pair with more coverage too.
If a skirt is anywhere near above the knee on me, I wear leggings or 80D tights underneath. I am just that clumsy LOL

Speaking of which, this reminds me I need to go underwear shopping :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
ZombieGirl said:
I am with you. I only go commando in my own house and not usually even then.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
It's interesting how strongly people feel about this. Though I do believe more people go commando that most may think - just judging by a quick poll of my female and male friends.

Personally I never wear underwear. Bras are necessary for support, but I just never saw the point of underwear - I guess maybe hygiene, but even then...not really. If I pick my clothes right, they will fit and not chafe. And underwear has always just felt incredibly uncomfortable - I got sick of constantly squirming in my seat. And girdles and corsets make me feel sexier than any underwear. Plus my posture is great when I wear them! ;-)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Irene, by any other name, it's good to have you back!

As to the original question, I've got some pairs of underpants so worn-out and full of holes it's the next best thing to commando. I save them for hot weather days, because the ventilation is very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points