Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a crush?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Better...

Lady Day said:
Its the weather, or at least thats what Ill blame it on.
We all wanna cull up with that someone special by a fire with some hot cocoa, Ella on the radio...

What could be better? :rolleyes:

LD

A fire with some hot brandy, Ella on the radio....:;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Resurgence of an old crush for me this week; Stephen Colbert. I've loved him since that show Exit 57 10 years ago. Smart, slightly nerdy and cracks me up. Not a bad dresser either.

SCP.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
She's nice, but our own Queenie is tops.

She looks 'very like' our very own Queenie on the lounge and maybe this lady models herself on her... but Queenie just easily knocks the socks off this lady in looks, without a doubt.

Just goes to show, what a smart, wonderful bunch of lady members we have here!

Samsa said:
Cristina Marsillach. She's fairly unknown, but appeared in an early Tom Hanks movie called "Every Time We Say Goodbye," which is great in its own right. I think the following photo pretty much sums up my reasons:

cristina8.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The Mystery of Crushes

In an idle moment today I was pondering the mystery of crushes. Why do we get them? Do you tend to get them more on celebrities or on people they've actually met? Why do we get them on the people we do? Is it just because it feels good and it is fun or is there more to it than that?

Thoughts?

S

Samsa

PADDY said:
She looks 'very like' our very own Queenie on the lounge and maybe this lady models herself on her... but Queenie just easily knocks the socks off this lady in looks, without a doubt.

Just goes to show, what a smart, wonderful bunch of lady members we have here!

Now THAT is quite the compliment to MissQueenie!

imoldfashioned said:
In an idle moment today I was pondering the mystery of crushes. Why do we get them? Do you tend to get them more on celebrities or on people they've actually met? Why do we get them on the people we do? Is it just because it feels good and it is fun or is there more to it than that? Thoughts?
A crush is like an infatuation, here something about the person sparks an interest which grows until becoming a strong attraction. Often a person is not seen objectively but in an idealized light. Plus it is often pretty irrational and/or physical in nature that forms the attraction that makes up the crush.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
In an idle moment today I was pondering the mystery of crushes. Why do we get them? Do you tend to get them more on celebrities or on people they've actually met? Why do we get them on the people we do? Is it just because it feels good and it is fun or is there more to it than that?

Thoughts?

it's all down to a mysterious and still not fully understood area of human behaviour called 'sexual attraction'. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
herringbonekid said:
it's all down to a mysterious and still not fully understood area of human behaviour called 'sexual attraction'. ;)

This made me think.
There are people I have a "crush" on that I am not attracted to, and people I am greatly attracted to but it's not a crush.
I think it's a different animal.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't even think it has to be a romantic interest at all. Just a strong attraction to someone.

In theory, say you're a guy and you meet the coolest guy ever, he knows all the cool places and people and stuff to do, and, realistically, you'd like to hang out with him over anyone else.

That's a crush, it might turn into a real friendship but for now it's not. You don't want to sleep with him and you aren't in love with him. It's not a romantic or sexual thing at all. But you have a "crush" on him, an attraction no more defineable, perhaps less so, than a crush on some random woman.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
A 'crush' to me is an attraction....both in the physical and mental areas. I always figured it to be toward those that gave you the 'tingles'....where it's not love, and not like you're looking to sleep with them, but they still give you the warm and fuzzies.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carebear said:
I don't even think it has to be a romantic interest at all. Just a strong attraction to someone.

In theory, say you're a guy and you meet the coolest guy ever, he knows all the cool places and people and stuff to do, and, realistically, you'd like to hang out with him over anyone else.

That's a crush, it might turn into a real friendship but for now it's not. You don't want to sleep with him and you aren't in love with him. It's not a romantic or sexual thing at all. But you have a "crush" on him, an attraction no more defineable, perhaps less so, than a crush on some random woman.

I actually agree with this completely. My lady friends and I call it a "girl crush." As in, "she is just so cool and looks fabulous every day, plus her apartment is period-perfect! I have such a girl crush on her."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I know the feeling. I've even felt that way about a figure from the past.

318046074_fac8c4dfe2_o.jpg

Joe Haymes was a semi-obscure bandleader and arranger in the '30s. His music appealed to me immediately and so did the legend about him - a happy-go-lucky guy who never quite made it big, partly because he drank, partly because he just didn't care about anything but his music. I eventually wound up writing his life story and doing a CD reissue.

Hear Joe play Limehouse Blues

The Joe Haymes CD

richstyle

New in Town
Fletch said:
I know the feeling. I've even felt that way about a figure from the past.

318046074_fac8c4dfe2_o.jpg

Joe Haymes was a semi-obscure bandleader and arranger in the '30s. His music appealed to me immediately and so did the legend about him - a happy-go-lucky guy who never quite made it big, partly because he drank, partly because he just didn't care about anything but his music. I eventually wound up writing his life story and doing a CD reissue.

Hear Joe play Limehouse Blues

The Joe Haymes CD

Hey, Fletch: Is he any relation to Dick Haymes?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate your thoughts. It pointed up for me how many types of crushes there are--same sex, opposite sex, romantic, non-romantic.

Carebear's post in particular made me think:

"In theory, say you're a guy and you meet the coolest guy ever, he knows all the cool places and people and stuff to do, and, realistically, you'd like to hang out with him over anyone else. That's a crush, it might turn into a real friendship but for now it's not"

This made me wonder if crushes are seeing your idealized self in someone else? I know most my crushes have a healthy dollop of "they're so cool, I wish I could be like that".

I originally put the question out there after wondering why I'm attracted to specific people. By which I mean, for example, of all the smart, funny, slightly geeky guys around do I specifically gravitate towards Stephen Colbert or David Tennant? But, ultimately, I think it isn't something that can be rationally picked apart.

Interesting topic though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael