Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

jugband1

New in Town
okay-- I am one of the acne prone girls, so I am going to try the ponds. Maybe I am overstripping my skin with all the acne products and making it worse. I like the idea of removing it with a warm washcloth then a witch hazel toner....but I hate the smell of the regular dickinson witch hazel....what else can be used that is non stripping toner like that? I can't find the burt's bees toner anywhere. Also looking for an eye cream to keep the fine lines down that is sensitive enough that my eyes don't sting and cry...any reccs? I love reading everyone routine...makes me feel like a girly girl.:rolleyes:

kate

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Try Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. It has a nice rosey scent and no alcohol to dry out or irritate your face.

The cold cream does take some getting used to. Especially if you've grown accustomed to using acne washes and having "squeaky" clean skin. Once I stopped using them and started using the cold cream, my skin did a complete 180.

I have/had your textbook acne prone combination skin, with a shiney Tzone. I use the Cucumber Ponds in the morning and tissue it off. I follow that with very light swipe of the rose witch hazel, then apply my make up. While I'm not shine free all day, I'm only touching up my powder once around lunch time now.

At night I use Original Ponds and tissue it off before getting in the tub. Once I get the majority of the make up and grime off with the tissue, I add another thin layer and leave that on as a mask while I soak. That layer gets the warm washcloth treatment ;) I follow that up with another swipe of toner and some oil of olay for sensitive skin.

My skin is so soft and smooth now. I had no idea how rough my face was until I stopped p*ssing it off with harsh cleansers. I wish I would have know about this years ago. It really has changed my appearance for the better!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I originally started with the Pond's Normal to dry I guess it's their original formula, and loved it, I have oily skin so I thought I'd see if the Cucumber one for oily skin did me any better, and I tell ya there is nothing worse than finishing up a product you don't like!:eusa_doh: It wasn't as good for my skin as the regular, go figure[huh] Happily I got back to the original Dry skin Pond's and it is doing me miracles!

Skin is very much to each her own, so experiment and don't hesitate to go back to one you loved.

jugband1

New in Town
thanks girls-- the rose witch hazel might be just the thing I am looking for, and it is not much more expensive either. I have high hopes for the ponds...time will tell I suppose. It is hard to adjust, I did it tonight and did the warm washcloth and the regular witch hazel. I will have to get a routine worked out for am/pm. I definitely need eye cream at night and use olay sensitive SPF 15 during the day. I am almost 30 and it is showing in my crows feet and brow furrow a bit:rolleyes:

kate

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Jenautica, thanks for the recommendation on the Thayers Rose Witch Hazel. I just ordered some on-line and can't wait to try it! It sounds heavenly.....:)

I have been using Ponds(or Jergens) cold cream forever (I am 40).My mom and aunts swear by it, have never used soap on their faces and have beautiful soft skin!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
I dunno... honestly I'd be pretty surprised if a skincare professional or dermatologist advised you to *never* exfoliate. Exfoliation improves circulation, clears pores, and removes dead skin cells. Believe it or not, it is possible to treat your skin *too* gently! On the same line, over-exfoliation is also bad. If you're using a scrub like St. Ives or something, then yes, it will scratch up your skin and do very little good.

I was just told the same thing from my dermotologist. Funny that! But it made a complete difference in my skin.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
RetroMom said:
Jenautica, thanks for the recommendation on the Thayers Rose Witch Hazel. I just ordered some on-line and can't wait to try it! It sounds heavenly.....:)

You're very welcome! They have a great sampler pack of 2 oz bottles that includes some other scents: Peach, Lemon, Lavendar, Rose, and other more traditional formulas. It's a nice cheap way to try them out, and I especially like having the small bottles to toss in my purse or desk drawer. I keep the medicated "superhazel" around the office for papercuts and other "office mishaps"!:D

jugband1

New in Town
okay-- I am ordering the rosewater witch hazel today to add to my regimen. Day 2 on the Ponds and going well so far using it at night to remove makeup. I still need to find a good eye cream for night time. All the anti-aging eyes creams are so pricey, I hate to buy/try without knowing what it is like. I need something with not much fragrance, as it tends to make my eyelids red and stings...I am using olay spf 15 all over for day, but at night I like to anti-age my eyes and neck area. I can use stronger stuff on my neck, but what are you guys using around the eyes to battle crows feet *ACK*??

kate

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Crows feet??? whats that??? :D

Seriously thought, I don't think there is a cheap eye cream. All the ones I see are pricy. I have gotten into the habit of using Vitamin C eye serum from Sallys for eyes and then I mix a squirt of it with my moisturizer for my neck. The Vitamin C is supose to combat free radicals that cause cell damage and encourage collegen growth. Whatever. But I'm 34 so I haven't seen serious crows feet yet. I wear contacts so they are sure to hit me eventually.

I guess no news is good news.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My morning ritual includes:

hair in ponytail until I shower
a glass of water/juice
breakfast (toast, yogurt, cheese, fruit are favorites)
wash hands with anti-bacterial melon scent liquid soap
put in contacts
brush teeth/tongue/lips with Colgate, floss, mouthwash
shower - pink scrubby pouf and Olay body wash, Pantene shampoo mixed with a little bit of green apple or coconut cheapie stuff for a nice smell
dry hair with round brush. make it flip.
Herbacin Chamomile silicone/glycerine hand cream on elbows and hands (I get it in Canada - good stuff!)
L'Oreal Fair Ivory foundation (with SPF 17) applied with a sponge (including a bit on the lips as a primer for lipstick)
L'Oreal translucent loose powder, applied with large body brush
Rimmel blush in a rose color, applied with natural hair brush
Revlon colorstay lipstick in Soft Cinnamon, Soft Sandalwood, or Red Velvet
Pantene non-aerosol hairspray
Powder scented deodorant
Jessica McClintock perfume

Night ritual:

wash hands with anti-bacterial melon scent liquid soap
take out contacts and store in solution
wash face with Ponds facial wipes (usually use two)
aloe vera gel moisturizer all over face
cherry Chapstick on lips (he usually steals some from me as "sugars", so I put on extra)
hair in a ponytail until bed
two glasses of water before actually getting in bed

After reading this thread, I'm interested in the Coty translucent powder. The stuff I'm using has a slight color to it that I don't like. I'm also interested in the Ponds. I used it when I did theatre, but I don't remember how my skin reacted to it. Might be time to revisit it.

Thanks ladies.

jugband1

New in Town
okay, since I have been doing the ponds, I guess I should throw my routine in instead of just being a voyeur of everyone else's ;-)

AM:
rinse/brush teeth
wash face w/unscented Dove bar then olay or neutragena spf 15 sensitive skin (ie fragrance free) skin lotion....let that soak in while I let out dog, open curtains around house, peel a banana for my 2 yr old, etc....
physicians formula green concealer on blemishes (yes, sadly, almost always, even at 28), then regular concealer on blotchy areas.
coty loose trans. powder with a brush
comb and fill in any sparse areas in brows, curl lashes
black revlon colorstay liner in black (sometimes)
black mascara on top only (waterproof full and soft maybeliine right now)
rosebud lip salve (still haven't found my red yet, so no lipstick)
a little highlighter on the browbone and inner corners of eyes to feign awakedness
deodorant/sandalwood or primrose oil
usually out the door to teach yoga/pilates, so hair in bun or braids...

PM:
ponds cool classic cold cream-leave on for now
rinse/floss/brush teeth
shower (wash hair with aura rosemary mint s/c every third day)
witch hazel toner (soon to be the thayers rose!)
oil of olay anti aging cream on neck and dry areas of face, vita c beyond belief eye cream around eyes, more rosebud salve under nose if very dry, and on brows
a dab of mint julep or bye bye blemish on any angry spots
hand lotion (varies)
sleep with air in loose bun-- I hate this, but I fear that the oils of my hair will make my skin break out even worse (?)

phew-- now I feel a little high maintenance as I write it all down:rolleyes:
but it is actually all 30 minutes AM and 30-45 PM.

kate

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Does anyone know if the Thayer's is either available in Canada or if they'll ship to Canada?
It sounds very intriguing....
Thanks
CD

Jenautica

Familiar Face
CanadaDoll,

I snagged this off of their website:

Shipping & Returns
Shipping Info ...

Shipping is done through UPS for domestic US and some of eastern Canada. Everywhere else is the United States Post Office

That sounds pretty hopeful!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Thanks a lot Jenautica! It gives me a base to go from, I appreciate it!:)
I'll drop them a line and see what their policies are for western canada, and hopefully I can hop onto the rose witch hazel wagon too:) the plain witch hazel is almost suffocating to me, I don't want to try it it smells so strong!:eek:
Thanks again!
CD

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll said:
Herbacin Chamomile silicone/glycerine hand cream on elbows and hands (I get it in Canada - good stuff!)

Best handcream ever! Here in the states, Sally sells a tube of it for around $4. I like very thick, heavy handcreams that moisturize and last - the blue tin Nivea is actually my second choice to Herbacin's Kamille.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Good to know I can get it down here. I think there's a Sally's at the mall. (Ugh.... don't like that place!)

Ladies, it really is awesome hand cream. Definitely worth a try!

Donna/Dante

New in Town
I work from home, and thusly make my own schedule....

I'm a fashion designer/seamstress, and if I'm on a production run, a lot of this goes right out the window! :)

morning:
stumble into bathroom, remove rubberbands from braces, grumble at pinchey spots in mouth from rubberbands.
Brush teeth.
Go downstairs take meds, wash down with daily dose of Danactive. Get a diet coke and ice and take back upstairs for bath.
Decide on bath bubbles/bathbomb/oil/etc & run bath.
Wash face whilst bath is running. Usually with Clean & clear creamy cleanser, but 2-3x a week I use a Dove cleansing pillow so I can get extra exfoliation
(twice a week, bath is replaced with shower so hair can be washed and conditioned)
Soak in bath, read current trashy romance novel, drink diet coke. When done with diet coke, shave anything that needs shaved, rinse & get outta tub & dry off. ;)
Use Neutrogena Body moisturiser on arms, legs, back, any other dry skin.

Get dressed and do hair. Remove curler from frontlock if one's been worn overnight, arrange & pin pompadour and frenchtwist or bun. Use pins for more formal occasions or clips/hairsticks for more casual occasions.
Apply Olay Definity moisturiser to face and neck, eye gel to under eye area and eyelids.

Make-up. For simple everyday, just mascara and lippie, Lancome sheer Magnetique in 'Attitude' for a lighter colour or Revlon Super Lustrous in Volcanic Red, Scarlet Velvet, or Blackberry for brighter/darker shades.
For more 'done up' I'll add black gel eyeliner to my upper lashline(Make Up For Ever or MAC) after first applying Mac Paint in Bare Canvas to my entire eyelid.

PM routine:
change into jammies.
Take pm meds and wash down with milk
Take off makeup with an Olay Express Wet cloth, rinse (even though the packet says you don't have to) with cool water. Blot dry and apply a light night cream and the aforementioned eye gel.
Brush and floss teeth, put rubberbands on braces. For a little tmi, this alone can take a good 20 minutes when you have braces and are paranoid about getting them REALLY clean. ;)
If wearing hair clip/sticks, remove and put hair in arrangement more comfortable for sleeping. Re-roll frontlock if needed.
Use moisturiser on feet and put on cotton socks.
Dab lavender essential oil on temples if slightly headachey
Shuffle off ta bed!

-d

wibblebird

New in Town
Just gotta pipe in about eye creams...

I really like what Paula Begoun has to say about eye creams:
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=185

I've always felt that eye creams are just moisturizers with more wax or something to make them thicker. I've found that my regular facial moisturizer (a gel moisturizer which doesn't have sunscreen by - you guessed it - Paula Begoun) does just fine to moisturize my eye area. I do have the odd wrinkle at age 35, but I attribute this to a lifetime of nearsightedness (squinting!) and the sleep deprivation my first child has caused over the last year.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll said:
After reading this thread, I'm interested in the Coty translucent powder. The stuff I'm using has a slight color to it that I don't like.

Wel, I picked up a container of the Coty powder at the drugstore last night. I held it up against the powder I've been using, and it was much darker in color.... so back to the store it goes!

Drat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy