Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh my goodness! I can not believe someone would say those things to you ladies:eek: On behalf of every salesgirl(myself included) who does her job well and is polite to her customers, I am very sorry.
As far as my two cents Faythe your skin looks beautiful in your avatar.:)

Lady Stardust, I'm sorry to hear about your cold cream mishap, but the milk and honey soap sounds just delish, I may have to try a bar when I finish with my snow fairy gel:D

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Pond's makes me break out too if it's the only thing I use. When I use it to remove my makeup and follow it with a gentle cleanser however, it works great!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Most of the time I say NO to those kiosk salespeople, but every once in a while, if I'm feeling plucky, I'll let them give me a hand massage and THEN tell them NO!! Soooo bad!!! I'm never rude, though! It's not my nature.

But here's my beauty routine:
-Shower with Dove Soap. Anything else will give me a majour breakout of dermatitis :(
-Cover Girl liquid concealer in Ivory under my eyes. It's sealed with Cover Girl powder of the same colour.
-Draw on my eyebrows. YES. I'm one of THOSE people. ;) Cover Girl's Honey Brown is the offending colour.
-Dust on eyeshadow colour of choice. Currently I like putting hot pink blush on my lids. Just a little tiny bit, though!!
-Rim eyes with Cover Girl onyx eyeliner.
-Apply mascara, Maybelline in the pink container with the green handle, in black.
-Apply "Certainly Red" Revlon lipstick in a cupid's bow. My lips are natually bowed (which I LOVE!) so I don't need any lipliner.
-Spritz on some Bath & Body Works Body Spray and I'm good to go!

Yea, I'm very much a drug store kind of gal when it comes to cosmetics. I'm poor.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Oh yea, I meant to ask:

What exactly is "cold cream"?? What does it do? How do you use it?

I know that the ladies in my old movies would put it on their faces, but, believe it or not, I never investigated it! I guess I never took the time to seek it out because I know that if I ever used it, I'd get dermatitis all over my face...and I certainly don't want that. I've had it before -- it's not fun :(

Etienne

A-List Customer
My sisters and I still start giggling whenever we talk about the times our Mom would "cold cream our necks"!! For some reason, every now and then (this was back in the 50's) she would haul us in one at a time, make us lie down on the kitchen counter, and would slather cold cream all over our necks. Then she would take a dry towel and literally scrub the stuff off with the force of a truck driver!! The towel would invariably be brown and horrible by the time she was done, so I guess we really DID have dirty necks! It was pure torture at the time, ending with really red skin (but clean red skin!) We always wondered where she came up with that particular "beauty" routine!!

G

GoldLeaf

Amy Jeanne said:
Oh yea, I meant to ask:

What exactly is "cold cream"?? What does it do? How do you use it?

I know that the ladies in my old movies would put it on their faces, but, believe it or not, I never investigated it! I guess I never took the time to seek it out because I know that if I ever used it, I'd get dermatitis all over my face...and I certainly don't want that. I've had it before -- it's not fun :(

Cold cream is a strange mixture of mineral oil and beeswax and some other gunk. It is used to deeply clean the skin, removing makup, dirt, and other impurities from your skin and pores.

If you read through the thread, a few different ladies tell how they use it. Basicly, rub a bunch all over your skin massaging it in. Then either take a tissue or a warm wash cloth to remove it. Some gals repeat. Follow with a toner to remove any residue, and ta-da! Deep cleaned skin that is soft and moisturized. I use the washcloth and gently rub my face to exfoliate a bit.

Some gals only use it at night, others use both morning and night. I use it at night so that my gentle Ponds foaming cleanser removes any excess I may have missed with my toner.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
I have just started using Ponds cold cream over the last few days and I can really see a difference, although I am yet to find a moisturiser I like - I tend to stick to aloe vera gel, well its always worked for me in the past lol

starla

New in Town
Here's my current routine:

morning:
- after my shower, lotion my arms and legs with cucumber-aloe lotion
- dust with Crabtree and Evelyn lavender talc-free powder
- brush teeth with Tom's of Maine peppermint toothpaste (though next I want to try the ginger mint that someone was talking about earlier...where did you get it?)
- Dove deodorant
- use Pond's on my face and throat, remove with warm, wet washcloth, follow-up with Lancome toner
- for my hair: John Freida Corrective Style Mousse, Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock, Garnier Fructis gel with de-frizzer
- apply Revlon cream-colored eye shadow
- apply eyeliner (either brown Estee Lauder or black Cover Girl depending on the day), pluck/fill-in eyebrows as needed
- apply Neutrogena Weightless Volume mascara
- apply CoverGirl True Match concealer powder in Soft Ivory on my chin, temples and forehead (if they're red that day; sometimes I skip it)
- sometimes apply Max Factor LipFinity (I don't know the name but the color number is 110)
- dust with Coty Airspun powder (translucent)
- apply Armani Code perfume if I need an extra girly boost
- rub Nivea cream into hands to moisturize.

Night:
- brush teeth
- remove makeup with Pond's, rinse with wet washcloth
- lotion arms, legs, hands and feet
- sleep!

I'm still trying to get my routine pinned down since I'm trying out a bunch of different things to see what works best, but this seems to work pretty well. I picked up a lot of tips from this thread actually!

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
my routine for going out on the town ( to the pub to drown my sorrows ) is as follows

-wash hair with Lee Stafford's R U taking protection? shampoo and conditioner ( occaisionally inbetween steps i will use his hair growing conditioning formula)
-Pond's cold cream taken off with a hot wet flannel
-witch hazel for toner
-moisturise with Skin Drink from Lush (very rich and oily)
-comb out hair and spray with Frizz Ease Dream Curls and leave to dry naturally

- L'oreal True Match foundation in Ivory
- MAC studio finish concealer in NC20 (darker than the NC15 that suits my skin, but for concealer it works somehow)
- MAC prep + prime eye for my eyelids ( sometimes put this on my lips too )
- MAC fluidline in blacktrack
- some Estee Lauder eye shadow in a shell tone with darker colours to define, lighter for the brow bone
- some MAC, Dior or Clinique HEAVY black mascara
- Estee Lauder translucent powder
- usually some B Never... blusher in a raspberry tone (or Besame )
- MAC lipliner ( cherry, brick or red enriched )
- RED lipstick in a choice of MAC's ruby woo, red russian, M.A.C red, Viva Glam I, or Besame's red velvet, cherry red or besame red (or choice of lesser known brands)

- all brushes used are natural hairs

PHEW

Miss Brill

One Too Many
jugband1 said:
I still need to find a good eye cream for night time. All the anti-aging eyes creams are so pricey, I hate to buy/try without knowing what it is like. I need something with not much fragrance, as it tends to make my eyelids red and stings...I am using olay spf 15 all over for day, but at night I like to anti-age my eyes and neck area. I can use stronger stuff on my neck, but what are you guys using around the eyes to battle crows feet *ACK*??

kate

I love Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion (w/10% AHA) for around my eyes, nose-to-chin, neck & body. It even gets rid of blackheads and discolorations. It is about $10 for a huge 6oz bottle. Don't use it on your eyelids, and I don't use it on my cheeks or forehead, because it usually causes me a breakout there, even though I never breakout in those areas.

GirlAnachronism

New in Town
Bwahahaha. I love talking about makeup-y things.
Anyway.
Morning:
Wake up around 11 (This is my new summer schedule. XD), put in contacts and eye drops.
Apply cold cream, wipe off after five minutes with a really, really cute damp washcloth.
Apply a thin layer of vaseline to moisturize (I have about five different skin conditions that make my skin SUPER, SUPER dry and peely and it either takes prescription strength hydrocortisone or vaseline to moisturize it.) and let it sit for around twenty minutes, then pat off excess with tissue.
Apply white concealer. (Supaa pale! It covers the redness around my nose/chin/etc really well)
Blend until it's hardly noticable. Repeat three or four times.
Apply random pale foundation I manage to find.
Dust with Coty's Airspun loose powder.
Apply Prestige black pencil liner to inner rim of eyelids and then draw a semi-thick line in Prestige black liquid liner on the upper lid.
Apply random plum blush that I got a while ago that was on sale around my eyes. Like from the outer corners down to about the top of my cheek. It's very odd-sounding but has an interesting effect that I'm fond of. Melora Creager of Rasputina does the same thing, except she uses a more orangey blush. XD
If I don't do that then it's black eyeshadow with a little bit of shiny metallic silver eyeshadow, deep plum eyeshadow, red eyeshadow, or none at all if I'm trying to accentuate my mouth.
At this point I usually stop for a few minutes and doodle some more, because I'm a doodling addict and have about eight sketchbooks filled. I'm getting rather good. <3
Apply three mascaras in this order: L'Oreal Volume Shocking, L'Oreal H.I.P. in black, then Maybelline Great Lash to the tips. I've started using that trick of putting hot wax on the tips of your lashes, it's absolutely lovely.
Apply Burt's Bees chapstick, then for day either Clinique's Black Honey or C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Tint in Tint no. 1138 (Red). For night/evening I apply a deep plum or a bright red. No idea what brand they are anymore, the little sticker things are gone. ;_;
Spritz on some perfume, currently Britney Spears' Fantasy. >.> It smells like cake and cotton candy. <3

Night:
Apply cold cream, wipe off as before. Once a week I exfoliate with St. Ives Apricot Scrub and then moisturize once every two weeks with my prescription hydrocortisone, the rest of the time either with vaseline or Eucerin. I don't use toner because most irritate my skin, and I haven't yet gotten around to trying Witch Hazel. D:

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Not particularly "vintage-ified," but unique nonetheless...

Morning:
1. SCRAPE TONGUE!! One of my obsessive-compulsive things...apparently your body releases toxins through your tongue at night, and if you drink water before brushing/scraping your tongue, you ingest them! Yeah, gross, sorry.
2. Eat a hearty breakfast! I have to have very high-calorie, protein-rich breakfasts because of my metabolism and body type. I do a lot of nuts, berries, yogurt, etc. Sometimes I'll have a croissant with brie, and I'll always have a protein shake and tea (I've been trying to make the perfect chai since coming back from India, but I've been failing miserably!)
3. Wash face with Mychelle Cranberry Cleanser, and then mix a few drops of lavendar, tea tree and castor oil into a base of grapeseed oil (or olive oil if my skin is particularly dry, in which case I'd skip the cranberry cleanser). I leave the oils on my skin as a mask, then step into the shower to let it steam and absorb. I wipe the oil of my face with a warm washcloth. Then I spritz Mychelle Fruit Enzyme Toner onto cotton (or a well-folded piece of toilet paper) and wipe down my face before moisturizing with Mychelle Pumpkin Renew Cream. Sometimes I'll dot blemishes with apple cider vinegar.
4. Sunscreen! Unless I've got a photoshoot, of course.
5. Lotion (free of parabens and synthetics, please!). Or if I scrubbed with my Trader Joe's grapefruit scrub I'll skip that step.
6. Put my hair in pincurls if I'm having a lazy and glamorous day. Usually I don't have time for such things, but I've got a bob so I can quickly round the ends with a round brush and blowdryer. Sometimes I'll clip the front into rolls...sometimes I'll just stick a scarve over the whole thing if I can't be bothered.
7. Makeup: Mineral foundation (gooood stuff), MAC pink blush, eyeshadow (either metallic shades, purples, or reds for my green eyes), heavy winged liquid liner, and mascara (haven't found a great brand yet). For lips, I love Eyeko bright red lip stain (lasts all day, in marker format!), or if I'm feeling more tame, either the Body Shop's rose lip stain or Mychelle's red lipstick. I might invest in some Dr. Hauschka's lipstick -- I found a beautiful shade, and the quality is well worth the price, I think.
8. I refuse to use anti-perspirant, due to it's potentially carcinogenic properties, and talcum powder isn't much better. I use lavendar oil and rock salt as deodorant, and cornstarch as anti-perspirant...does the job well.

Evening:
1. Take off eye makeup with the Body Shop's chamomile eye makeup remover, then wipe off blush/foundation with a warm washcloth.
2. Apply same blend of oils to face, and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Wipe off with washcloth.
3. Scrape tongue!, brush teeth, floss, mouthwash.
4. Goodnight!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
*try to walk in a straight, dainty line to the bathroom, although it ends up more zombified than anything
*wash my face with soap from lush that smells like jellybeans.
*pluck few stray eyebrow hairs out- there's nothing worse than less than perfect eyebrows
*cleanse my face with a cucumber based face wipe and then apply oil of olay face lotion
*dab on some max factor facefinity base in porcelain
*line top lashes with rimmel liquid liner in ebony then dab excess off that's gotten on my lashes
*lash curler and then one coat of rimmel magnif'eyes or l'oreal telescopic (both in black)
*quickly undo my pin curls and/or rollers and comb out with fingers. add some toni and guy smoothing spray. roll fringe under. pin back at sides in whichever style the day calls for. spray lovingly with maximum hold hairspray.
*brush teeth
*add some clear lip gloss(work day) or red lipstick/stain(days off).
*fall out the door and zombie shuffle it to the bus stop for work.

takes 45 minutes due to mass amounts of hair styling.
oooh i love make up.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
*stumbling out of bed and going to the computer
*removing my sleeping rollers while checking for e-mails
*Wash my face with Nivea Visage cleanser (at least Nivea is a vintage company - I´m not too sure if the cleanser is, too)
*apply my Weleda Coldcream (was thrilled to find Cold Cream last Monday and now I´m even more thrilled to find out it was est. 1921)
*put it off with a dry tissues after a few minutes.
*Clean face with Nivea toner
*Putting on my "Dr. Feelgood" from Benefit (not too vintage exept for the tin)
*search in my bag for my Bésame Vanity Case and Powder
*apply powder and a hint of blush as well as some cheap eyeliner and mascara plus Bésame eye-shadow to my eyes.
*Brush hair
*in panic check the watch
*realise I still got some time
*getting dressed
*making sandwich
*realise that I was supposed to leave 5 minutes ago
*run off
*catch the train *just* in time

I´m sort of obsessed with my new Bésame Cosmetic lately... I just got it on Monday lol I can finally understand why the ladies here are crazy for cold-creams... I´ve been using it for a few days only and my skin became much softer and cleaner by now. I´ll have an amazing skin when I go on so bravely...

Evening:
*Nivea Visage cleanser to get it all off
*Weleda cold Cream for some minutes
*Nivea Toner to get the cold cream off again
*sometimes Ponds cream if I´m in the mood for it
*rolling hair in sleeping rollers and spray it with water

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Here's my current routine:

1) Brush teeth and apply carmex lipbalm. Later on in the morning I gently rub with a damp flannel to remove flakes.
2) Wash face with Clinque liquid soap for oily skin
3) Put in contact lenses
4) Sweep Clinque toner number 3 over face
5) Apply Clinique Dramatically Different moisturising gel
6) Apply Nivea Q-10 eye cream (I'm only 24 and already have fine lines under my eyes :( )
7) Whilst that is sinking in I get dressed
8) The war paint begins! Fill in eyebrows with a pencil and brush through, apply foundation (Revlon ColourStay or Maybelline Everfresh), apply Benefit concealer and set with powder. For work I just use crappy Boots No. 7 pressed powder, weekends/going out I use Shiseido pressed powder (not impressed with this, I'll definitely be returning to Benefit's Get Even powder). Curl lashes, apply 2/3 coats of mascara, curl again. Apply pink blush by either MAC (pink swoon) or Bourgois. If I'm going out then add some liquid eyeliner for the lids and 3 MAC eyeshadows blended - Vanilla, Shroom and Wedge.
9) Lips are always red! (either MAC's red, russian red or ruby woo, Bourgois Rouge Best or Boots Natural Collection Cherry) or Revlon Lipglide in Sheerly Strawberry if I'm feeling lazy/work.
10) Hairspray my fringe to the side (I'm growing it out), undo rollers/pin curls if I've set it the night before, spend an age trying to coax it into shape, pin a flower and set with hairspray.

Evening would be:

1) Remove make-up with Nivea face wipes and eyes with Simple eye make-up remover
2) Wash face with Clinique liquid soap. Twice a week I use Clinique exfoliating scrub and once a week Clinique pore minimizer refining mask.
3) Use Clinique number 3 toner, Clinique dramatically different moisturising gel and Clinique all about eyes cream.
4) Body lotion, pluck eyebrows, set hair, sleep!

GirlAnachronism

New in Town
pretty faythe said:
:eek:fftopic: GirlAnachronism, where in Idaho are you? I have a friend in Idaho and he tries to tell me there are no pretty peoples up there...he is nuts!
I live in southwest Boise. He's partially right. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous people but they're waaaay outnumbered by creatures from the black lagoon here. XD I live in a really, really trashy meth-lab druggie area as well. :eek:

jayem

A-List Customer
MORNING

Untie hair (uncurl, unpin.. whatever). Run fingers through hair. Tie in a silk scarf to get off my face.
Wash face with Lux soap, scrubbing for one minute. Rinse with warm water, pat dry.
Brush teeth.
Put in contacts.
Apply Complex 15 face cream. Let sit for a minute.
If I have a blemish, fuss over it with tweezers and With Hazel.
Apply Hue Devitt Triple Seaweed Gel Foundation in Quiet & Still to entire face and neck.
Apply thin layer of Coty Airspun in Translucent.
Add Maybelline Mineral Powder blush in Original Rose to apple of cheeks.
For eyes, add Palladio herbal eyeshadow in Bark to entire lids. On the contour, add Victoria's Secret Silk eyeshadow in Stormy Weather. Line with Palladio (white) at inner corners, Rimmel Soft Kohl in Cool Blue on inner bottom lid (lightly) and Max Factor Eyeliner in Night Club on tops.
Coat Lashes with Rimmel Lash Maxxx in Extreme Black. Curl lashes.
Coat lips in Smith's Lip balm in Minted Rose.
Apply BPAL's Marie, Alice, Antique Lace, or Queen Gertrude perfume to pulse points (usually Marie).
Brush through hair, style, go.

NIGHT

Apply Pond's Cold Cream to entire eyes first, than rest of race to remove makeup. Tissue Off. Apply a second layer, let stand for a minute.
Wash off using Lux Soap.
Brush teeth.
Apply Comples 15 face cream. Let soak in.
Apply Equate Neck firming cream to neck and chin area.
Dab Emu oil around eye area.
Strip naked!
Apply Vitamin E cream to arms and legs.
Rub Teatrical Rose Cream to everywhere else.
Take out contacts.
Tie hair in a silk scarf, go to bed!

Jojo

New in Town
this is my routine

get out of bed. Put my contacts in my eyes and make myself a nice cup of tea.
after dressing i clean my face with de make up lotion and apply some nivea soft cream on my face.
then the make up part starts.
First I apply max factor panstick number 30 on my face. it is a bit to dark but they do not sell a lighter shade than that.
Then I put coty air spun translucent on my face. for my eyes i use maybelline express eyeliner and bourjois easy waterproof mascara.
At daytime as a lipstick i use bourjois lovely rouge color: Rose Perle. and when i go out it is bourjois lovely rouge color: Rouge Best 15.
The nailpolish i use is revlon raven red.
the parfume i use is most of the time christina aguilera or chanel coco mademoiselle

And at night when i go to sleep i take a shower and clean my face with ponds coldcream and alsways remove it with a warm water flannelcloth. And then i put some nivea soft cream on my face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters