Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

sixsexsix

Practically Family
For my usual work day, where I am sitting at a desk all day, I don't ever bother with eyeliner/eyeshadows or anything too involved. My routine:

-shower/wash face with Cetaphil (pretty much the only cleaner i can use that isn't harsh on my skin)
-moisturize with Neutrogina sensitive skin
-apply Almay foundation for sensitive skin
-brush on a little MAC blush in Pink Swoon
-swoop on some Maybelline great lash mascara
-fill in brows with Anastesia of Hollywood brow powder
-attempt to do something with my growing-out-in-between-phase hair

out the door in about 20 minutes, not counting the shower

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Alarm Clock one. Get up and hit snooze.
Alarm Clock two. Get up and hit snooze.
...continue until 45 minutes before class begins (whenever that may be)

1. Get out of bed, rummage around floor to find smoking jacket/robe to avoid flashing roommates on way to the bathroom.
2. Hopefully find glasses where I left them the night before.
3. Wash face with Clearasil minty face-wash stuff and use Estee Lauder eye-makeup remover to de-gunk the eyeliner and mascara I missed the night before. Scrub face with clean washcloth to exfoliate.
4. Teeth brushing, flossing, mouthwashing. Occasionally use Burt's Bees Lavender Mint toothpaste when I'm feeling adventurous.
5. Back to bedroom, where I spend about 5 minutes trying to convince my contact lenses to get in my eyes without complaining.
6. Make tea while eyes calm down.
7. Makeup:
Bare Minerals mineral foundation
Liquid eyeliner (generic brand, the label has rubbed off)
Clinique mascara
Then I begin the long, involved, lipstick process;
1. Exfoliate lips to get flaky chapped bits off.
2. Dab on primer (actually I think I use eyeshadow primer on my lips, which may or may not be dangerous).
3. Moisturize over primer with Burt's Bees Pomagranate Lip Balm (smells amazing).
4. If I can find my lip liner, Revlon Red.
5. Use a brush (actually, a paintbrush because I like the long handle) to carefully draw on lipstick. Usually alternate between Estee Lauder Slick Red and MAC Russian Red. On extra-lazy days I just throw on some of that Burt's Bees tinted lip stuff and run out the door.

I kinda wear a lot of makeup for a college student!;)

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Step 1, apply ponds cold cream
step2,apply sunscreen
step3, fill in eyebrows with a shade that suits your coloring.
step4,color lid with a soft white or cream shadow.
step5 color lower lid with a soft brown, no sparkling shadow,they didnt have glitter or shimmer in there eye shadows.
step6.apply mascara i use Bad girl by Benefits
step7.apply Rouge to the apples of your cheeks
step8.apply red lip liner,to get the " cupid bow look"
step9.apply red lisptick, then blot
step10. dust coty face power,all over your face to set your make up.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here

pigeon toe

One Too Many
MORNING:

- Drag myself out of bed and try not to press snooze on the alarm.
- Brush my teeth, check the weather. Depending on how windy or rainy it is, determine whether or not to curl my hair. Put on my clothes.
- Put in Hot Sticks. Or not.
- Moisturizer + sunscreen
- Creme blush
- Coty Airspun powder all over the face (but carefully avoiding the eyebrows)
- A wee bit of gold creme eyeshadow
- Mascara
- Un-do my curlers if I curled my hair and brush and pin into place. Hairspray. Massive amounts of hairspray.
- Wait 10 minutes. Hairspray some more.
- Hairspray.
- Hairspray.
- Burt's Bees chapstick, Mac Ruby Woo, then I'm out the door!

NIGHT:

- I either pass out or shower!

Smuterella

One Too Many
morning:
drag self out of bed after snoozing:(
uncurl hair
brush out frizz
clean teeth
moisturise
makeup (full works some days, bare minimum on others)
dress
look for keys
coat on
look for keys again
find keys
tell flatmate she looks fabulous/wish her a lovely day

evening:
pin curl hair, hairnet, silk scarf over pillow
oil cleanse to remove make up
rosehip oil to moisturise
benefit eye con
clean teeth
prozac :p
sleep

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The older you get, the more it takes...

Morning:
Whack alarm two or three times. Finally drag to couch, reset alarm for a half hour and commune with cat while sleeping (hubby doesn't like cats on the bed :( )
Strong black tea, a lot of it to face the cruel world.
Drag to computer and ingest tea while checking in on the Lounge...
Shower - lately I have been putting oil mixture (see the endless Oil Cleansing Method thread) on first and letting it sit and massage in the shower.
Wash face with Dr. Bronner's Lavender Castile soap and a red rubber makeup sponge - that's all the exfoliation I can take on a daily basis. If it's a weekly exfoliating day, I put fructose crystals in my oil mixture and rub that in for a few minutes before the shower. Fructose dissolves dead skin.
Wash hair if it is a semi-weekly hairwashing day. Wash the rest of me, I am into the Oil of Olay bodywash, slather on some lotion while still wet.
Dry off, wipe face with either salycic toner or rosewater and glycerin depending on if I am oily or not that week. Eye gel (I got it in China, I love it and will be sorry when it's gone), Colonial Dames Vitamin E moisturizer.
Go pick out clothes and jewelry in the Room of Shame and bring them into the bedroom where the dressing table is.
If I washed the hair, I towel dry it, put a little curling gel in it, comb it, put the sides up with combs and let it air dry.
If it isn't a hairwashing day, I brush it out, spray water on it and comb the water in to revive the wave (natural) and put up with combs. Vintage dressup days require much more work on the hair and a lot of hairspray. Let's not get into it, I am already getting carpal tunnel over this description...
Makeup: Paint out red spots with yellow concealer, paint out under-eye circles with pale eye concealer, paint out zits with a mixture of antibiotic cream and zinc/sulfur ointment. I still get them at (almost) 48.
Two or three shades of eyeshadow, the color depends on the clothes. Black pencil eyeliner on the bottom edge and inner and outer corners of the top lid (for some reason putting eyeliner all the way across the top sucks on me), and add powder black shadow over that to set it.
Eyebrows... I pluck the strays so that once it's penciled, it looks neater. I can't find a satisfactory eyebrow pen like the ones Marvella made, so I am back to pencil, which smudges and is hard to get a perfect thin line.:mad:
Powder all over with my loose powder, which is a combination of the Prescriptives translucent mineral powder and the pearl powder from China. Use and eyebrow brush to get the powder out and blend the pencil in the hairy bits.
Mascara, curl, 2nd coat mascara.
Blush on very pale days, otherwise not.
Red or wine lip pencil and lipstick - depending on clothes.
Jeeze! What a lot of work!!!
Night, I wash it all off and moisturize and crash. I NEVER sleep in makeup, nothing ruins your skin faster. I used to take bubble baths before bed but my tub is the size of a shoebox, so no more.

Antje

One Too Many
My routine,

-Hit the alarm of my clock and stay in bed for a couple of minutes, making myself realize what day it is.
-cuddle al my sweet doggies who are happy to see me
-clean teeth
-wash my face with lavera facewash
-aply lavera rose cream
-put on my make-up, first a eyeshadow base, then a little purple eyeshadow, a little white highlighter just below my eyebrows, aply eyeliner, (curently i'm into the amy whinehouse kinda eyeline thing) then apply a white mascara primer and then two or three layers of mascara, that i warmed up a little then it wil apply much easyer. lipliner and the my red lipstick
all makeup is by hema, exept the lipstick it's from yves rocher.
-do my hair
-eat and apply new red lips
-cuddle my doggies again and then go to work

evening routine
-clean my face again with lavera facewash and put on my rose cream
-brush my teeth
-if my hair's fine then do nothing with it, maybe a hairnet over it to maintain curl otherwise pincurl it or do a set with flexible perming rods

Miss Retro

Familiar Face
Morning
drag myself out of bed !
i'm english so a big strong cup of tea first thing and feed rabbits and husband;)

Wash face with L'occitane cold cream soap (smells wonderful)
tone with rosewater
i use eucerin spf30 cream for sensitive skin and eye cream from clinique
Clean teeth

Apply either besame foundation and powder or everyday minerals
use besame eyeshadows, whatever color i fancy that day
besame blush or Everday minerals waffle cone
lipstick in red velvet or ruby woo/russian red

Then i do my hair which is so thick and wavy

Evening
remove make up with Weleda cold cream and wash after with the cold cream soap
Take a long shower, i love nivea shower creams or Benefit
tone with rose water
apply Lush moisturiser or nivea in the blue tin and eyecream
if i wash my hair i leave it to dry naturally or if not i set it with sponge curlers.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Some people always look groomed and put together and are ready to go out with little notice. If I get a sudden invitation I go into a mad panic!

I love the idea of being properly groomed at all times. Hair, skin, make up, nails - just neat and pretty.

I saw these on youtube and think they are adorable!

[video=youtube;wRxvaMVLCrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxvaMVLCrg[/video]

[video=youtube;QtSo0GBX_0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSo0GBX_0g[/video]

What is your typical beauty routine? How often do you do certain things like painting your nails and doing facials?

I need to stop being lazy and to (finally!) get a grown up routine!

Tatum

Practically Family
angeljenny, thanks for sharing those! So cute, and relevant. I am with you, in that for the most part, I have a bad routine...
Get up, make coffee, feed and let out the dogs. Sit on the computer for a bit. Do stuff around the house. Then, get dressed when I have somewhere to go. I have contemplated starting my beauty routine just after I get coffee and the dogs out, but I haven't gotten into doing it. I should. Some days (like today) it doesn't make a lot of sense, as today is for beekeeping chores, and they don't like it when they can smell a lot of hairspray or other things, so today will be minimal makeup for now and a good old scarf on my hair. I can always get pretty later if the need arises, but Sundays are usually pretty quiet around here during the spring and summer.

Nighttime I have pretty down. Wash face, tone, moisturize. Set hair if it is a night I am going to. Most nights, I also sit in the bathtub for a while with a book and bubbles. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
angeljenny, thanks for sharing those! So cute, and relevant. I am with you, in that for the most part, I have a bad routine...
Get up, make coffee, feed and let out the dogs. Sit on the computer for a bit. Do stuff around the house. Then, get dressed when I have somewhere to go. I have contemplated starting my beauty routine just after I get coffee and the dogs out, but I haven't gotten into doing it. I should. Some days (like today) it doesn't make a lot of sense, as today is for beekeeping chores, and they don't like it when they can smell a lot of hairspray or other things, so today will be minimal makeup for now and a good old scarf on my hair. I can always get pretty later if the need arises, but Sundays are usually pretty quiet around here during the spring and summer.

Nighttime I have pretty down. Wash face, tone, moisturize. Set hair if it is a night I am going to. Most nights, I also sit in the bathtub for a while with a book and bubbles. :)

I like your style Tatum, i do the bath, bubbles and book every night too - heaven!

I tend to get up and do the coffee and computer thing too, then ablutions, i love Liz Earle cleanse and polish in the mornings, the smell sets me up for the day, slap on some moisturiser, then make another cup of coffee and drink it while doing my face and hair. Then i faff about and usually end up dashing about looking for something like a pair of earrings or whatever, every day without fail, i faff for England. I'm resigned to it now. I think it's part of my DNA!

I put in rollers or pincurls on sunday night while watching tv . I also do my nails on sunday nights then touch them up during the week during a quiet moment at work. I wash my hair every other day during the week and again set my hair while watching tv or in bed.

I don't plan my outfits as i'm too disorganised, other than to work out what i can't wear the next morning because it's in the ironing basket/laundry/drycleaners etc.

zombi

A-List Customer
My beauty routine, I guess, is really simple. I wash my face with cold cream at night before going to bed, use witch hazel on spots. If I'm going to set my hair I'll do that at night, too. Since I pluck my eyebrows myself I usually get one or two stray hairs every night. This is how I just keep up with it without having to have a huge eyebrow session!

In the mornings, I just wash my face with plain water -- it seems happier that way. Since the only makeup I wear on my face is powder & blush, no foundation, this works better for me. I'll fix my hair and so on. But that's all. The mornings are more for coffee than anything!

I don't plan my outfits ahead of time most of the time, but sometimes I do. I prefer it when I do because it makes things easier but a lot of the time I forget.

ETA: Other things I do are try to stay well-hydrated by drinking a lot of water, having good posture, walking regularly instead of driving, and so on. Those things help I think.

Last edited:

rue

Thank you for sharing the top video Jenny. I've seen parts but never the whole thing. Both are wonderful :)

As for routine:
In the morning, after making breakfast for hubby and daughter and get them out of the house and eat breakfast myself, I go upstairs take a shower. Mondays and Fridays I wash my hair and let it dry before I set it, but the other days I put it up before I shower. When I get out I apply lotion all over, get dressed and start on my face. First I rub ponds all over my face and use it to take off yesterdays makeup, then rinse with water, then Witch hazel, then Oil of Olay and some aging creams (I'm 41). Then I put on my makeup... first pluck eyebrows and then a sheer foundation, concealer, powder (like the video), eye shadow, liquid eye liner, eyebrow pencil and shadow, curl my lashes, mascara, blush (cream and powder) and lippy. Then I either set my hair or fix up whatever curl is left. The whole thing from shower to finish only takes about 30 to 40 minutes and I do it every single day.

At night, nothing except brush my teeth. I want to look cute for hubby when I go to bed ;)

Last edited:

Isis

One of the Regulars
I work very irregular hours, so I don’t have any set days for pampering- I do that when the days in the week it works. Funnily enough I have my best routines the days I have to get up at 4.30. 45 minutes after the alarm I leave home and had time to both eat breakfast and fix my face. Of course, I need to make everything ready before I go to bed, outfit laid out, tea kettle filled, bag packed, otherwise the whole routine falls apart. If I work late I spend some more time on my hair.

Before bed I pluck eyebrows, wash my face and moisturize. I always set my hair in the evenings too and sleep it dry. Every second month I go and have a facial and I’m currently trying to work in regular manicures in my budget as well.

Kirstenkat

New in Town
I shower in the mornings which takes more time, but wakes me up. I wash my face in the shower, with burts bees. I blow dry and mouse my hair. Pin it back somehow, and curl it when I have extra time. I'd curl it everyday but I can be a slow poke. Then concealer where I need it, powder, blush, masacara, eyeliner, Eyeshadow. Lipstick when I'm wearing less eye makeup. I've been trying to wear lipstick more often. Either red or a pretty pink.

I'm super lazy at night. I use olive oil to remove my makeup, but a lot of times I forget. I know I know, sleeping in makeup is a big no no.

Isis that is a great idea setting everything out the night before, I bet it saves a lot of time

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
In the mornings after I get hubby off to work and before dd gets up, I put some Cetaphil (actually Walmart Equate equivalent) all over my face if I've taken off my makeup the night before or Ponds Deep Cleanser Cold Cream if I haven't and jump into the shower. I don't wash it off immediately because I allow the steam from the shower to give me a mini facial. I wash the Ponds Cream off with Dove soap otherwise it leaves my face kind of greasy feeling. After my shower I dry my hair, put on Ponds Dry Skin Cream if I'm not going outside or Oil of Olay SPF 15 if I am and then I put on my makeup - a little concealer on the dark circles under my eyes if I went to bed late, curl my lashes, mascara, cream blush, and red or pink lipstick. My nighttime routine is to take off the makeup with the Ponds Deep Cleanser and then put on the Ponds Dry Skin Cream. I also keep a jar of Vaseline for my lips and Nivea soft cream for my hands on my nightstand that I put on right before turning off the lights.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Kirstenkat it really do! But if I forget one thing, it throws the whole thing out of loop. :)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Thank you!

I thought the videos were so cute - I ended up watching loads of 50's videos!

I don't have much of a routine. I'm not that organised. I did add up that I use about 25 different types of make up each day - for a natural look!

I have just started putting on Ponds Cold Cream before I get in the shower and then leaving it on while I was my hair. Such good stuff!

I have just started using "proper" skin care as I really like Gatineau products, I use their cleanser, serum, gommage and moisturiser. Biggest change was getting a Clarisonic which made my skin so soft - that way I can skip getting facials!

I don't have a set time to do anything! I just paint my nails or do my eyebrows when I remember. I really need to get organised!

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Morning: Shove purring, licking cat out of face. Repeat several times. Feel husband get out of bed to reset alarm clock.
Get out of bed to shut off alarm clock, stumble down stairs, make coffee.
Poke around online or iron/do laundry while waiting for or drinking coffee.
Shower: wash face with noxema, shampoo. Debate shaving legs. Exit shower.
Brush teeth & hair, pull down bangs so they don't dry funny. Possibly pluck eyebrows.
Apply pit stick, perfume, Olay moisturizer/foundation stuff.
Get dressed. Put on eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, powder. Pet cat attempting to headbutt elbow during mascara application.
Find shoes. Change mind, find other shoes, stand in front of mirror wearing two different shoes until inspiration strikes or realization I'm running late sets in.
Rub pomade or wax over hair to keep it shiny and in place.
Apply lipstick, blot, powder lips.
Go downstairs, grab coat, lunch, purse, keys and head out the door.

Night: Brush teeth. Sometimes remove makeup. Apply zit cream. Tell husband not to let me overpluck eyebrows. Check for gray hair. Put petroleum jelly on lips, go to bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner