Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

BoPeep

Practically Family
Well written, Powderkeg! Cats are a part of my daily routines too!

I've always heard that the worst thing you can do is sleep in your makeup, but seems that a lot of us (myself included) don't always bother to take it off at night. Rue's comment about "looking good for hubby" when she goes to bed is true. I always try to look put together when my husband comes home from work (mascara, lippy and vintage apron). It's disappointing to wash away all the magic right before it matters! ;)

Drappa

One Too Many
^ I actually can't sleep with make-up on, never have. When I was younger and occasionally drunk, I'd fall into bed but then wake up two or three hours later, sometimes still a bit drunk, and would have to get up to remove my make-up, wash my face and brush my teeth. It never failed, and now I don't get drunk but I also never ever wear make-up to bed. I'm also too fond of my sheets to get make-up on them! :D Thankfully my husband doesn't seem deterred... ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've really started to simplify my routine. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, so I've gotten away from a lot of commerical products. I have very acne prone skin and used to treat it a lot. Since I've only been using soap once a day on my face, I only get a few pimples now and again, and they disappear right away without bringing new friends to the party.

Morning:
-Get up and start tea kettle
-Brush Teeth
-Scrub face with hot water and washcloth (no soap)
-Wash up
-Do Hair (normall pinned up and sometimes hair sprayed)
-Get Dressed
-Eat Yogurt and have a cup of tea
-Put on Lipstick
-Run like mad in a vain attempt to catch the 5:50

Night:
-Remove Lipstick with oil (any kind of cooking oil works)
-Floss Teeth
-Brush Teeth
-Wash face with goat's milk soap
-Unpin hair (or braid hair)
-Undress

After I shower I moisturize with oil, all over. I shower after the gym and Sunday night. Right now I am trying to train my hair to be washed once a week. It's been three weeks, very little improvement. I'm not sure how long this will take. I'm going to give it six months to a year. I have my fingers crossed.

rue

It's funny because the make-up on at night thing is all in my head. He doesn't care, but I need to feel pretty :rolleyes:

Sheeplady, it's taken a year for my hair to barely put up with it. I don't have grease issues though, just flakes after a few days.

crwritt

One Too Many
lol me too, my hubby knows if i come to bed with a freshly scrubbed face the only heat in our bed that night will be from my hot water bottle ;)

It just seems a strange habit to me, who cares in the dark? I can't stand to wear rollers or even pins in my hair at night.
Can't sleep with them.
I do, however, need earplugs and dental retainer.Can't sleep without them.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Right now I am trying to train my hair to be washed once a week. It's been three weeks, very little improvement. I'm not sure how long this will take. I'm going to give it six months to a year. I have my fingers crossed.
When I started to not wash my hair every day I did it in small steps, every two days, then every third day and so on. I have very dry hair to begin with, so I never had any problems with it getting greasy, though.

I can't sleep with any make-up on, if I do I get blemishes which is a lot more unsightly than me with a scrubbed face. :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Right now I am trying to train my hair to be washed once a week. It's been three weeks, very little improvement. I'm not sure how long this will take. I'm going to give it six months to a year. I have my fingers crossed.

It might take a while. It took me well over a month to get to four days, and now I can sometimes get six. It depends on what I am doing though, and how I style my hair. Florida humidity does NOT help. If I have it pulled away from my face, I am usually OK, but one day down and the grease just travels. I just washed it two nights ago, and my sleeping cap slipped last night, so I will probably wash it tonight as it caught some grease (which is fine since I have plans tomorrow night and want to have great hair). Keep at it, you will get there!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I went kind of cold turkey on the hair washing, I have fine, dark, greasy hair. I started washing with baking soda and immediately got three days out (with shampoo I only got 2). So I had this brilliant idea that I would just wash it once a week and wait for it to adjust three weeks ago. Now I am getting 4 days of reasonably good hair (I rinse days 2 and 4 because I work out, but I don't scrub or use anything). I really am hoping for 1 week if I just hold on long enough.

Thank you for all the encouragement ladies! For some strange reason, I've always hated having to wash my hair all the time, and I would always stress if I thought I could get stuck someplace without the ability to wash it (like camping, stuck in an airport, etc.). I really can't explain it, but I felt I had to wash it to look presentable; and I hated feeling so tied to needing to wash it every other day.

Annichen

Familiar Face
Mine is awfully simple. I wash my face in a PH balanced face soap. Use a cream called Apobase or Nivea if it is dry.I have a scrubbing glove that I use with disinfectant gel a few times a week.I use baby oil after shower on my body to keep the moisture.That´s it,no eye cream or fancy stuff. One really shouldn´t need to.If you have a skin problem,take it to a doctor and do not waste money on expensive miracle cream.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I wash my hair every day - I don't think I could stand not to! It just goes so flat and limp when I sleep on it.

I want to get to the point where I am doing regular maintenance so that if someone says "lets go out tonight" I won't have a sudden panic and a million things to do like legs, eyebrows and nails before I could go.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I let my hair go til the fourth or fifth day. It has a curl to it when layered proper (off to the hairdressers' on Friday!). On the fifth day, it's usually in a ponytail or up-do.
I don't wear makeup as per The Misters' request when we were dating in high school, so I wake up, wash gently with a sea salt wash, cool water rinse and a dab of olive oil rubbed it into my hands then my face. I know it sounds weird, but it works for me and has kept my seborrhea away for about a year. My face doesn't dry out either. If I have been mucking in the barn or out on the mountain, I give a wash with Ivory soap and then a good cold water rinse.
I do take care of my eyebrows everyday...as an Italian, they have a mind all their own!
A scrub on the hands and feet with the sea salt every few days and a good lotion on them a few times a day seems to keep them smooth.
Clothes I lay out the night before, even though I am a full time homemaker. It just makes the day easier.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
In the morning i scrub with an apricot face scrub (by St Ives) and then moisturize with Jergens "Ultra Healing" body lotion. If I'm out in the sun I put on Water Babies SPF 50 (it's greasy but as far as I know it's the only sunblock that works on my skin... with everything else I just burn like a lobster!). At night I rub witch hazel with a cotton ball.

That's all. If I'm going to be in pictures I quickly apply mineral foundation as my skin is very shiny. I have make-up, as well, but I don't really use it. My job is outside and it's warm and I sweat quite a bit. The last thing I need to worry about is make-up in my eyes!

Autumn

New in Town
In the morning I wash with Boots traditional cold cream, witch hazel and then Nivea creme (The same in the evening). Followed by foundation (Palladio wet/dry) and powder (Ben Nye neutral set). Then some Mac blusher, Maybelline mascara and Clinique lipstick.
I wash my hair every few days, with a Lush shampoo bar and use Boots curl creme.

Scarlatina

New in Town
I feel quite the plain Jane! Here's my routine:

Apply Wonderbar lather to my face.
Brush my teeth.
Get in the shower, using soap on only the "important" parts.
Shampoo and condition hair.
Wash off Wonderbar lather from my face.
Once out of the shower, I apply Skin & Bones oil to my face and Origins Precipitation Extra to my body.

Occasionally, if going out, I will put on mascara and lipstick but that is not a daily thing. I just don't like the feel of make-up and I don't ever want to be one of those ladies who doesn't want to be seen without their "face on".

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Wow, I just remembered I put half my hair in rollers an hour and a half ago and forgot to do the other half...
My routine is pretty typical and boring.
I shower every night, but on days I wash my hair I set it after, on days I don't I put it up first. Yeah, I have to set my hair every single night. Lately I'm having major trouble getting a first day set to work out, and today I didn't have time for my usual hot roller rescue so I looked kind of wavy and disheveled all day. I've been trying to time it so I only have 2 first day sets during the week. Yes, I am VERY pre-occupied with my hair lately! I guess because it's still pretty much an experiment every day, and if you try to have nice things it's a lot harder to fail at getting dressed lol.
About once a week or whenever I have 3+ items to hand wash I take an extra long shower and take them in with me. If I didn't do that they wouldn't get washed at all. I read that's how French women do it and I figured it made enough sense.
I've been getting up at 5:30am lately for work. I take my hair out first thing so if it didn't work I can put it in hot rollers right away. Then I get dressed from something I vaguely picked out a day or two before. Though I usually change my mind, one of the reasons I'm so often late. And it's weird being new somewhere because you feel like you're starting to create this identity for yourself in their minds and you want to make sure it's always going to be "right" or face confusion. I know that probably doesn't make a lot of sense.
I rarely shave because my hair is very fine and blond so I keep forgetting. I do my eyebrows whenever I see I need to because it will drive me nuts if I don't. I use that Garnier eye roller thing whenever I remember. And I haven't dyed my hair in 5 months (probably a record), but I just found some boxes for 2$ each so hopefully that will be happening some time this week lol.
I guess everything besides my showers/hair setting and getting ready for work is pretty random. It's like I only have half a routine lol

Last edited:

Katue

Familiar Face
I'll copy past my skin care routine. May be someone will find it useful.

Evening routine:
- I take off my make up with Olive oil. It's great and my lashes look fantastic because of it.
- Then I wash my face with contrast water. Cold-then warn-then cold-warm-and cold again. This helps to prevent wrinkles and awaken skin. Afrer that I simply touch my skin with cotton washcloth.
- After that I put on some cold cream (for me Ponds works best!) Massage it for a minute, let it soak and then take if off with a dump warm or even hot washcloth. I don't use which hazel in the evenings because it makes my skin dry. I think it's too harsh for me.
- I use ice-cube undereye therapy like Audrey did. Sometimes I even use ice cubes all over my face. It gives stimulation that invigorates the skin.
- Then I put a little cold cream as a moisturiser and leave it over night.
- Under my eyes I use vaseline. It helps me to moisturise my undereye area. I also use it on my lips and it makes them so soft and gentle!

Morning routine:
- I awaken my skin with the contrast water therapy.
- Put on some cold cream and take it off with dump warm washcloth.
- Use some which hasel but only on my reddish parts and breakouts.
- I use some concaler if needed and my favourite loose powder. I even don't have to use boots no 7 any more because my skin has it's natural glow now! I put some boots 7 on my eyes only. It makes them so bright and shiny. I also put some vaselin on my upper lid - that's fantastic! Try!
- I also put some vaseline on my lips under the lipstick or gloss.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Wow, some of you have your routines down pat. Golly.
I work 3 days a week, so I have different routines for different days.

Every day.
Get up and pray that the husband has made coffee, if not make a cup of tea.
Put hair back in an Alice band, wash face with warm water only on a face cloth.
Put in antihistamine eye drops.
Apply ROC face serum, then MUFE primer.
On non-work days, I put on my eyebrows with a Revlon pencil, powder and lipstick.
I often forget to brush my teeth till AFTER I have my lipstick on (I usually have my tea or coffee while I am doing my slap, so that explains that) so then I brush my teeth and put my lippie on AGAIN. Sheesh!
If I am working I usually do a little nuetral grey or brown shadow, and some black mascara, sometimes liner but not usually.
Takes me less than five minutes on days I don't do my eyes.

If I do a full makeup, foundation, blush, eyes complete with liner and mascara, it still only takes me about 15 minutes. I am super-duper fast, kids.

At night, I glop on some Ponds Cold Cream, tissue that off, use MAC Face Wipes for the eye makeup, warm water on a face cloth, some witch hazel toner and then a Clarins night moisturizer.
Any time I feel totally parched or when I am flying I swear by Clarins Beauty Flash Balm.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm definitely a creature of habit:

When I get up, I go to the bathroom and wash my face and brush my teeth.

Back in the bedroom, it's time for make-up.
  • Apply primer to eyelids.
  • Draw on cats-eye eyeliner.
  • Put on my mascara.
  • Dust on eyeshadow.
  • Glue on my false eyelashes.
  • Slather sunscreen all over my face.
  • Draw on my eyebrows.
  • Dust powder all over face, and apply concealer if I have any spots.
  • Line lips and apply lipstick.
This takes me about ten minutes. For my hair,
  • Take out rollers if its a new set, or unclip my hair from the top of my head.
  • Shake out the curls and give them a good brush through.
  • Put some pomade on my fingers and pull them through the curls.
  • Roll up my pompadour, or add a bow or scarf.
That took five minutes, unless I was completely lazy and left it pinned to the top of my head.

Now I get dressed in the outfit I selected the night before, grab my purse, and I'm ready for the day. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner