Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you have many friends?

Friends? What are those? lol

Seriously, most of what few I have are ex-profs; pretty much the extent of my contacts outside the Internet is staff at the library I work out of, a couple local hotels and various restaurants.

There are a few folks I'd like to call friends, particularly some around here, but with some of my issues I think my reluctance is understandable.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
one "best" friend, my wife.

other than her, one or two close acquaintances and an extended group of like minded individuals through various hobbies.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Amidst storm of emeralds,
Golden red rubies and sapphire rings,
I hear names sung that were writ to the wind.
Yet whisper the stars,
Higher than doves,
Within the heart live those whom are loved.

Padraic Conaught, Whispers

A handful whom I can trust my life to; and others that remain with me in spirit and have greatly enriched my life by their presence.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have very many with whom I'm acquainted, but very few with whom I friends.

Fortunately, I've had some pretty rough (and unforseen) tests that have weeded out alot of chaff from my wheat.

Bebop

Practically Family
I am a very private person. I think a true friend is someone you allow to know you and they allow you to know them.......and after that, you still want to deal with them on a close level. I come close but then my "privacy curtain" goes up.

Friendship is one sided with me. I'll help you get through whatever, give you the shirt off my back and be there for you but I would never call on you to do the same. I'm uncomfortable having friends but not being a friend. Is that complicated enough, or what?

I have a partner that I can call a true friend since we have been together for 30 years but the rest are just good acquaintances.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
My true friends could be counted on one hand even if you subtract a finger or two.

I don't really have many.

LoLo, you never know who the other end of a MySpace/Facebook connection really is... all it takes to create a "False Flag" profile is a little creative mendacity.

For all anyone except those who've seen us in person from here know (which you probably have a few, and only Paddy and MrNewportCustom have even heard my voice over bad cellphone connections), neither of us might really be what our pics indicate...:D (OTOH, what reason do I really have to lie about the not-particularly-handsome mug in my av?lol )

No, LL, I was simply attempting a little sardonic humor of my own--albeit inspired by the fact that in my business a certain amount of paranoia is both occupational hazard and occupational necessity.

I had no intention of picking a fight (please believe me on this one, on the rare occasion when I believe it necessary to pick one I'm about as subtle as a nuclear strike--and I've already offended way more people here than I ever intended to over the years), and you have my one allowed apology per day for the misunderstanding.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well, aside from the BH, I've been blessed with four close friends, one is a buddy of thirty years standing, the other two are of just twenty years acquaintance, and a new fellow who I've known for about five years. Between us over the years been through had heart attacks, marriages, divorces, births, deaths, fires, new businesses, insolvency, and now a grandchild!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bebop said:
Friendship is one sided with me. I'll help you get through whatever, give you the shirt off my back and be there for you but I would never call on you to do the same.

I'm entirely with you on this. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than receiving unsolicited gifts or assistance. Don't know why, just how it's always been.

I prefer to do things entirely for myself. If I don't know how it's done, I'll ask how it's done. If I'm having considerable trouble, or if I don't have the time, I'll pay someone for their service. But I don't like handouts. [huh]

On the other hand, I feel much better GIVING my time and service.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
nope - only a few old ones

Midway through my fifties, I find that I have very few real friends, and most of those go back to childhood/high school/college. I have work acquaintences, a few folks I've met through my kids' schools, and now and then somebody I share a common interest with... but essentially, nobody that I've met in the last two decades has proven to be a real friend in the way that my old ones are.

A bit sad, but there you have it.

Bebop

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Midway through my fifties, I find that I have very few real friends, and most of those go back to childhood/high school/college. I have work acquaintences, a few folks I've met through my kids' schools, and now and then somebody I share a common interest with... but essentially, nobody that I've met in the last two decades has proven to be a real friend in the way that my old ones are.

A bit sad, but there you have it.

I think the mid-fifties has a little to do with that. I have become much more selective, self reliant, picky and sarcastic about friendship as I became older. I think younger people can claim a "best friend" after a few weeks of knowing someone or fall in love at the drop of a hat. I can't do that at my age. I'm not quite sure that's a bad thing. lol

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Wow, at least I know now that I'm not the only one without many "real" friends (as opposed to internet friends). There was one that I had a huge disagreement with a few years ago, and we haven't spoken since. Another one I've lost contact with, but will be trying to get in touch again (I'd trust this guy with my life). The first really good friend I had was someone I secretly loved, but I knew that a relationship would never work in the long run (we tried), so I kept mum about it. After his "surprise" announcement of engagement, we lost touch after the wedding - and I doubt we'll ever speak again (boo hoo, and all that rot).
I have a few aquaintences at work, and that's about it. I have on-line friends (must work on developing friendships here), but they're all over the world, so it's difficult. I'm not great at keeping in touch - just ask my relatives :D - so I try and keep close friendships at a minimum...I like keeping disappointment as low as possible (disappointment with me, I mean) lol

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Well...

...the passage of time has led to the separation of ways from my friend whom I used to attend WWII events with. I think that, coupled with distance, and our ages (she's in her 50's and I'm 30), plus our living situations, have pretty much killed it.

Right here in town where I live there is no one... I really don't have anyone around my physical age with which to converse about either historical stuff and/or spiritual stuff.

Online - I don't have direct access, and don't really care to 'live' online, so no one there either.

Therefore 0 + 0 = 0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo