Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Like Being Called "Hon"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Do you like being called "Hon"? (Short for "Honey") I do, if its my hubby, or someone near and dear to me, but not a telemarketer that doesn't even know me! I received a phone call from some telemarketer (I'm registered on the do-not-call list, hmmmm) today and she asked if I was using Product A and I told her 'yes' and then she starts to go into a long spiel about their Product B and I tried to tell her I already prefer Product A and she stops me with "Well, Hon, I'm just trying to explain...." That was enough for me, so I politely said, "I'm not interested" and promptly hung up. That was about the 3rd time I've been called "Hon" by a complete stranger recently. I thought that that term was more of a term of endearment. When I worked in the medical field, often the nursing staff would say "Hon" to patients (mostly older folks and children) to calm them, I think. And I do have an acquaintance that uses the "hon" word constantly throughout her conversation. I don't even think she's aware of it, but she's also in the medical field.

I'm err--middle-age now and I really don't like it when people call me "Hon" unless it's my hubby (but not followed by "What's for supper?"lol)

Does this bother anyone else, or am I just getting old and crotchety?

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
Well, as for myself...

... I like being called "Hon", or most any similar term. I also use them myself, quite frequently.

But, of course, I was born in and have lived most of my life in the South.

In Baltimore, it's almost obligatoryto use "Hon".:D

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Maybe its a female thing. I think it bothers me more if its a female that is calling me 'hon'. But then, here in the Midwest, I rarely hear men say it to complete strangers. And then again, I haven't been single in a bar for a long time, so maybe that's where they use it. Perhaps its a more "Southern" thing. I guess this means that I'm getting old and crotchety!:eek:

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
I *have* noticed that if someone takes offence (very rare)at my using such terms, they are Northern women, of undergrad - postgrad age.

I also use terms for men/boys, too - just more masculine: Mister Man, Brother, Pal, Palsy, Jim, Hot-Shot, Cowboy, Chief, Ace, Fella, etc...

For women/girls/very small children of both sexes (boys of those ages don't seem to mind): Hon, Sweetie, Sugar, Sug (short for Sugar),Sweetie-pie, Honeybunch, and so forth.

... Looks kind of silly in writing. Huh. Oh, well... it's how I talk. I think the tone and perceived intent of the familiarity is very important.

As for me, nobody's punched me in the nose, yet.. 'Course, that doesn't mean I don't deserve it.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
In real life I use endearments-o-plenty!

First, I really like you, and am glad to see you, but I don't quite remember your name.:eusa_doh:

Second, well its really the first reason again, really.[huh]

The Boss like the telemarker was taking advantage of the usual level of happy socializing by being over familiar not to be friendly but to manipulate or "score points".

the Boss said this in front of his boss to show off.

All gentlemen, and expecially those sons of the South may use any endearment they please.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
Miss Crisplock said:
I once had a male boss call me "Honey".

"Will you get me the Hudsucker file, Honey"?

"Right away, Love Monkey"

That stopped in a hurry.

I - literally- laughed out loud when I read that.

What would you have done if he had *liked* being called "Love Monkey"? I would have.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
BonnieJean said:
Do you like being called "Hon"? (Short for "Honey") I do, if its my hubby, or someone near and dear to me, but not a telemarketer that doesn't even know me! I received a phone call from some telemarketer (I'm registered on the do-not-call list, hmmmm) today and she asked if I was using Product A and I told her 'yes' and then she starts to go into a long spiel about their Product B and I tried to tell her I already prefer Product A and she stops me with "Well, Hon, I'm just trying to explain...." That was enough for me, so I politely said, "I'm not interested" and promptly hung up. That was about the 3rd time I've been called "Hon" by a complete stranger recently. I thought that that term was more of a term of endearment. When I worked in the medical field, often the nursing staff would say "Hon" to patients (mostly older folks and children) to calm them, I think. And I do have an acquaintance that uses the "hon" word constantly throughout her conversation. I don't even think she's aware of it, but she's also in the medical field.

Iunless it's my hubby (but not followed by "What's for supper?"lol)

Does this bother anyone else, or am I just getting old and crotchety?

I don't mind being called Hon, or any other endearing name, unless I'm being called "sweetie" and it's in that tone, you know the tone the "listen sweetie..." one. That ones liable to get a raised brow, a hand on the hip, and an unpleasant response from me! lol I get called toots a lot (short for tootsie pop) since I always had brightly colored hair, but it makes me weak at the knees if a dashing young man calls me doll, or sugar.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I don't mind the occasional endearment in casual conversation. Oddly, it's not the strangers who annoy me but those who I know but only slightly. Something about a person presuming to be a closer friend than they truly are. It's always aggravating in the workplace; I chalk that up to the whole glass ceiling thing. I agree with the best response to that being " sure thing, Sugarlump!"

arthur

Suspended
Theres a little old fashioned diner in our town that the wife and I frequent for breakfast quite often.The waitresses are always calling people hon and sweetie.I actually like it,seems familiar and and small town.

Rufus

Practically Family
In the UK, it's not 'Hon' (Hun has a different connotation over here!!), but 'Luv', or 'Dahling'.

It's fairly universal in shops and markets, particularily amongst older people, and I love it.

I do know some female friends who take issue with it, but personally I feel that a lot of people would even take issue with even a smile these days!

I visited Vancouver last year, and was called Hon in a number of diners we stopped at in our drive from Alberta... made my day! I felt like I'd arrived in Twin Peaks. :)

Rufus

MPicciotto

Practically Family
My wife is from Baltimore...

So I have to accept "Hon" as a word applied not just to loved ones, not just to friends, acquaintances or even strangers. Even the dog and the car have been called "Hon" at times.

Little story. For years and years along one of the routes into Baltimore was a wooden sign built like a fence but with the rails closer together. On the top rail it said "Welcome To" on the bottom it said "Baltimore" and in the middle was always a piece of cloth or poster with the letters H-O-N on it!! The State was constantly removing it and some dedicated Baltimorons (I'm probably not allowed to use that word in this context, but my wife can, here I'm using it endearingly) were constantly putting one back up. Growing up I remember that as a constant struggle. Don't know if it's still going on.

So Bonnie Jean it's possible that your telemarketer was from Baltimore and called you "Hon" right after pleading with her computer and calling it "Hon" and yelling at the neighbors dog to get of her lawn and calling him "Hon". She may have called her boss "Hon" after getting off the phone with you.

Matt

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey guys, we are really trying to keep the conversations Golden Era related across the Lounge.

Since the crash, we are trying to have a fresh start and realign the Lounge to its original purpose, as a vintage forum. That is what brought us all here after all. We want to keep the content strong, intriguing, and interesting, so that the Lounge continues to be the web's #1 vintage forum.

Some threads are just better suited to blogs and other sites. I know this is a bit of a change, and I appreciate your understanding.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner