Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You "Like" the Indiana Jones Comment?

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I expect it when I'm wearing a brown hat, but when I'm wearing my grey Knox, I find i get a little annoyed. As long as the character I'm being compared to wears the right color hat, I'm fine with it.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Fedora Jay said:
I expect it when I'm wearing a brown hat, but when I'm wearing my grey Knox, I find i get a little annoyed. As long as the character I'm being compared to wears the right color hat, I'm fine with it.
Oh dear. Does this mean I will have similar problems with the Christys Adventurer I ordered in Burma grey? I specified this colour as I wanted a fedora in the Indy style but not too Indy. It's said by many loungers to be a ringer for the seaplane fedora.
From what you've said, it looks like I'll face even more comments.:eusa_doh:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It doesn't bug me. I consider it a complement.

Let's face it, most people aren't into hats and they don't pay attention to details like which hat, which jacket, etc. They don't even know the difference...but they do care enough to comment.

Only people who are a bit obsessed with stuff like that even care about the details!

So when someone says that, the best answer is 'Thanks".

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
So when someone says that, the best answer is 'Thanks".

That may be the easiest, but whether it's the best is debatable and depends very much on the situation.

If I'm striving for a more elegant, cosmopolitan look and wearing nothing that could reasonably be characterized as resembling Joneswear, is someone who blithely (or perhaps "blindly" is more apt) compares me to that character paying me a compliment?

Thankfully, I've only had it happen once or twice and those occurred two or three years ago, but if ever I should hear it again, I'm not likely to thank the person who's making the ill-conceived comparison.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten the Indiana Jones comment off and on throughout my fedora wearing years (which are about eight years to date). In all honesty though, I can't remember a time when I got the comment from a complete stranger. A high school friend's dad used to call me "Indiana Jonathan" (My first name) when I'd come over, but for the most part, that didn't bother me. Even the dispatcher where I work who has taken to making comments from time to time doesn't really bother me.

I more often get the Dick Tracy Comment. I'll have someone start to push me around, or make a comment like "what do you think you are, a PI?" I actually do look at them seriously and say "Yes", because in fact I am. I just wish at times I could be associated as "Fedora Wearing Jonathan", an individual who happens to wear a hat and likes it, instead of "a fedora wearing gumshoe, or Indiana Jones wannabe".

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I've had kids whistle the Indiana Jones song to me while wearing a Montecristi. I actually laughed that time.:p lol One thing is hearing "hey Indy" or "what's up Junior!" (I've gotten that one, believe me) but whistling the theme song I thought was pretty clever.:p

SkullCowboy

New in Town
Indy comments don't bother me, I'll usually just nod and go about my day. Pimp comments, however, I find quite offensive and, depending on circumstance have been known to reply:

"You have me confused with someone else. Your mother/sister/wife never worked for me..."

elvisroe

A-List Customer
SkullCowboy said:
Indy comments don't bother me, I'll usually just nod and go about my day. Pimp comments, however, I find quite offensive and, depending on circumstance have been known to reply:

"You have me confused with someone else. Your mother/sister/wife never worked for me..."
lol lol
Gotta lay off those electric purple fedoras man!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I get the occasional Indy comment. Most of the time its good-natured and I just give back a good-natured smile, but when the comment has a derogatory tone, I give the same smile with just a hint of 'what a pathetic a-hole you are' behind it. I'm far too pre-occupied with life to pay any more mind than that to oafs who dont know when to keep their mouths shut.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Ehhh.... I don't really receive the "Indy" comment, but then, I try to pair my hats with more semi-formal wear as a complete outfit, not the usual Indy-like appearance. I'm NOT one that really likes the comment, though. It's pretty unoriginal really, mostly just associating ALL hats with Indiana Jones, like everybody that wears cowboy boots is John Wayne, or something. :rolleyes: If you're trying to look like Indy, or borrow from his iconic appeal at all, then that's one thing. If you're just wearing a hat because you like it, or to look good in general, that's another.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I've only ever heard it from co-workers who know me well enough to jest, but like Mav I'm more likely to hear "Elliot Ness" or even "Bat Masterson" (as I frequently wear bowlers).

Burton

One of the Regulars
My life has been fairly adventurous. I travel a lot and wear mostly safari attire which always includes hats. The stuff I am wearing is well thought out and functional and has been through places like New Guinea, Borneo, Africa, etc. Every now and then I overhear an IJ reference but its usually a hushed comment to someone else. I wouldnt take any IJ comment too seriously as its all most people know.

A year or so ago I was walking around the ruins of Petra in Jordan and after seeing me an entire group broke out humming the IJ theme song. That was funny!

JimWagner

Practically Family
It's interesting that both hats and suits seem to be drawing comments. Seems like a not so subtle reaction to daring to dress differently and not conforming to the rest of the herd.

I think most of us (who work) have heard comments to the effect of "where's the interview?" if we show up dressed even a little better than our co-workers.

one problem...

SkullCowboy said:

Here in Rochester, that'd get you shot or at least stabbed...

Edward

Bartender
Hepville said:
There is something similar to the Indie comment.
When you have a Pomp you sometimes get the Elvis comment...

THat reminds me of a guy who used to be a regular in a shop I worked in years ago. He used to call everyone, and I mean everyone Elvis. "Hey, Elvis, how much is this hammer?", "Hey Elvis, I'd like 3m of 2x1 PAR, please", "Hey Elvis, how's she cuttin' today?" Never did know his real name. We just called him Elvis.

I'd be a bit of a hypocrite probably to get annoyed by the Jones comment, as he was a big hat influence on me. I don't get it much, though - more commonly generic detective / gangster comments, which I don't mind. The cowboy ones grate a bit, but for the most part people mean well and that's just their only frame of reference for a wide brimmed, felt hat. Bizarrely, some kid a couple months ago called me Inspector Gadget - he must have been all of seventeen. Too young, I'd have though, but I suppose they must have brought the show back?

fenris

One of the Regulars
Inspector gadget is on again at the disney channel... And there was a movie a movie years ago wih mathew broderick playing the part.

I get irked by the cowboy comments, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails