Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You "Like" the Indiana Jones Comment?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
fenris said:
Inspector gadget is on again at the disney channel... And there was a movie a movie years ago wih mathew broderick playing the part.

I get irked by the cowboy comments, though.

A co-worker once said to me "Hey, inspector Gadget's office just called: they want his hat and trench back" lol lol I take all these stuff with humor. Except the pimp one. Thay will make me very angry.:rage:

fenris said:
...I get irked by the cowboy comments, though.
Wearing Open Road style hats & boots almost exclusively, I get "where's your horse?" quite regularly & expectedly. I usually have a western style belt on too. I do get the frequent "where's your whip?" too. Some folks just have to say something regardless of how it makes them sound... [huh]

Lou

One of the Regulars
Mav said:
Being that I was raised to understand that most people are morons, I don't worry about it too much
That's one of the soundest philosophies on life I've heard. :eusa_clap

Not-Bogart13 said:
I'm being compared to somebody who wears Spock ears to go grocery shopping. :rage:
I get that from a couple of family members. I tell them I primarily want the sun protection, but they still think it's affected. For their peace of mind, I hope they get used to it.

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
Mav said:
I've gotten the Indie comment a few times, but, more often, it's Elliot Ness (might be because I hang out with somewhat older dudes.)
Being that I was raised to understand that most people are morons, I don't worry about it too much, unless I've had an exceptionally bad day, in which case my usual response is "**** off."
Which might be why I don't have that many close friends.

I've gotten both Indiana Jones and Eliot Ness. They don't bother me. Some folks make fun of my hat, but I don't care. I like it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
I've had kids whistle the Indiana Jones song to me

You know, I've seen the movies a few times, but I don't think I'd recognize the theme song if it was whistled or hummed within my hearing. [huh] For the life of me I just can't think of what it sounds like.

The theme to Star Trek, yes, Star Wars, yes, Combat!, yes, Indiana Jones, no.

Cheers,
Tom

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't mind the Indiana Jones comments. In fact I would be stupid if I did, being my daily wear jacket is a Wested goat leather Raiders. The odd thing is I get more Crocodile Dundee comments then Indiana Jones[huh] . Oh well its all for fun.:p
Johnny

Chainsaw

Suspended
Cinderela Man, With my falt cap and Italian dinner shirt/wife beater. It's a compliment really, but I hate the wife beater comment. There's nothing I hate worse.[huh]

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Aureliano said:
A co-worker once said to me "Hey, inspector Gadget's office just called: they want his hat and trench back" lol lol I take all these stuff with humor. Except the pimp one. Thay will make me very angry.:rage:

Weirdly I've been getting the "Inspector Gadget" a bit lately when wearing my black pea-coat but never when I'm wearing my grey trilby[huh] Go figure!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
You know, I've seen the movies a few times, but I don't think I'd recognize the theme song if it was whistled or hummed within my hearing. [huh] For the life of me I just can't think of what it sounds like.

The theme to Star Trek, yes, Star Wars, yes, Combat!, yes, Indiana Jones, no.

Cheers,
Tom
lol lol here Tom, take a listen.:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNNhBtBbOs

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
When I wear my brown Lee Trinity I get a few "Indy" compliments but then I school them and explain to them how my hat is different than Mr. Jones'.

When I was wearing my Churchill a few weeks ago I got a couple of John Dillinger comments from random people! That was cool! :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The first, and only, time I've heard it was at Safeway on Christmas Eve year before last, maybe year before that. Me in leather jacket, scarf and hat since it was snowing outside, and the checkout clerk said "You look like that movie guy." "What movie guy?" "Oh, what's his name...from Raiders of the Lost Ark - that's it - Indiana Jones." I was jazzed and high-fiving the friend with me. "Woo hoo - I finally get the dreaded crack most Loungers dread!" So I then had to explain it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
Cinderela Man, With my falt cap and Italian dinner shirt/wife beater.

So an athletic t-shirt is a.k.a. as an Italian dinner shirt, huh? It's apparent that certain negative stereotypes perpetuated by the "media" not only become believed, but socially accepted as well...dependent upon what group the stereotype refers to, of course...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Oh, yeah! Now I remember... and now I'm gonna have that them spinning 'round and 'round in my head all night! :eusa_doh:

Thanks, Aureliano! :p

Cheers,
Tom
:eek: Sorry, Tom!lol lol I hate when that happens. Last week my best friend's little daughter was humming the theme song from the smurfs. Man I had that tune stuck in my head for a week!:p...wanna hear it?:eek: lol

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Nope.

I do not like it, for two reasons:
1) I don't usually wear anything that looks remotely like Indiana Jones costume. And yet if I'm wearing a suit, trench coat, and black fedora, I may still get the Indy comment. If I look like Indiana Jones in that outfit, then I guess every single man who lived in the West from the mid-19th century to 1960 must have looked like Indiana Jones? That's indicative of an astonishing inability to distinguish detail, which leads me to believe the commentator is a moron. And it never makes me happy to meet yet another moron in a world that's already too full of them.

2) I don't wear costumes. I'm not a devoted vintage dresser. Mostly I just like hats, and while I'll pay some attention to wearing clothes that don't radically clash with the hats (no Gore-Tex parka with an Art Fawcett hat for instance), I intentionally avoid anything that might look like a vintage costume. The Indy comment suggests the commentator sees you as wearing a costume. Again, leads to recognition of yet another moron in a world already overflowing with them.

Tiller

Practically Family
Splitcoil said:
2) I don't wear costumes. I'm not a devoted vintage dresser. Mostly I just like hats, and while I'll pay some attention to wearing clothes that don't radically clash with the hats (no Gore-Tex parka with an Art Fawcett hat for instance), I intentionally avoid anything that might look like a vintage costume. The Indy comment suggests the commentator sees you as wearing a costume. Again, leads to recognition of yet another moron in a world already overflowing with them.

Those of us who wear vintage clothing aren't wearing "costumes" either. No more then anyone else who wears clothing is in costume. It's how we dress.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
Those of us who wear vintage clothing aren't wearing "costumes" either. No more then anyone else who wears clothing is in costume. It's how we dress.
I'm well aware, and I know this is an old topic. I agree that 99% of even very devoted vintage dressers are not in costume. But for every 99 guys in tasteful vintage outfits, there's always at least one guy wearing the Indiana Jones boots with the Indiana Jones pants and the Indiana Jones belt and the Indiana Jones shirt, jacket, bag, and hat, with the bullwhip under the bed at home.

That guy is in costume. If he wants to wear a costume, that's fine, I don't care. He's not killing anybody. But it is a costume. Simple positive statement, not normative.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Widebrim said:
So an athletic t-shirt is a.k.a. as an Italian dinner shirt, huh? It's apparent that certain negative stereotypes perpetuated by the "media" not only become believed, but socially accepted as well...dependent upon what group the stereotype refers to, of course...

It's terrible isn't it? The athletic shirts from Hong kong are at least made from silk. And the sphaghetti's hand made. The knees wear out faster though.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
One of my students, a ten year old boy, is a big Indy fan. He likes to wear my hat when I'm working with him (he looks a lot better in it than I do). BTW, it's not an Indiana Jones hat, just a grayish green fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails