Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I bought a tux at JC Penny last year for $100. Its a one button SB notch lapel %100 worsted wool, lightweight. I bought a 5 button vest for it which put together the whole ensamble. I've only gotten to wear it once since I bought it (homecoming '06), but I thought it a good investment considering that I'd wear it to future school dances.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
The tailcoat is nearly extinct, or virtually so. There are perhaps two or three major events in the US that specify white tie in their dress code.
I believe they all involve heads of state in some way, and are also traditionally stag. That's a bit of code that Antongiovanni's article didn't touch on - how did tails become associated with statecraft and with male-only functions?

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Check out the waistband.
7f07_12.jpg

So, would one still wear a cummerbund with a waistband like that?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
WildCelt said:

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't.
These are crazy high waisted. They come up past my ribs. I have a pretty short torso to begin with. You only see two shirt buttons (three if you count the collar button) with these pants.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Well, if you make it to the Queen Mary event, you'll see at least one tailcoat at the Saturday night dinner.
Tony - you might not be alone. I haven't fully decided between the dinner jacket and the tailcoat. I've been leaning toward the tailcoat, but then again, it is a dinner where suits are also welcome so perhaps the dinner jacket is the more appropriate option.

WildCelt said:
I read that many vintage trousers, especially for white tie functions, had very high waists to ensure that nothing showed below the bottom of the waistcoat. Cummerbunds are best left for use with the white dinner jacket (i.e. summer use).

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
I read that many vintage trousers, especially for white tie functions, had very high waists to ensure that nothing showed below the bottom of the waistcoat. Cummerbunds are best left for use with the white dinner jacket (i.e. summer use).

I've read that, too, but it seems to me a waistcoat is a bit superfluous with a DB jacket. Am I mistaken?

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
WildCelt said:
I've read that, too, but it seems to me a waistcoat is a bit superfluous with a DB jacket. Am I mistaken?

Good point - neither type of formal waist covering should be worn with a double-breasted dinner jacket!

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I believe they all involve heads of state in some way, and are also traditionally stag. That's a bit of code that Antongiovanni's article didn't touch on - how did tails become associated with statecraft and with male-only functions?

Where did you hear about the stag tradition? I know that black tie was limited to male-only functions until the 1920s (at least outside of summer resorts) but I have never heard that rule for white tie.

Peak Lapel Double Breasted in Black, How ever it is a little small for me these days. I usually got to wear it 2 to 3 times a year with New Years Eve a must.

I have never got any negative about it, usually people were positive and often had lots of great tux remarks.

dostacos

Practically Family
well a tux will be my last suit [no not forever, just on my "NEED" list]

I will probably get both a white dinner jacket [Casablanca or Raiders, Temple of Doom] ish and a black maybe [like I wouldn't get the vest] contrasting vest.

first I have to get my belly out of the way so if is spill it hits the pants not the jacket:eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
I'm disinclined to wear a waistcoat with a white jacket myself: the point of the white jacket was that it was supposed to be lighter wearing for warmer climates. since the focus was on keeping cool, wearing a waistcoat with one seems to negate the point somehow. My preference would thus be a cummerbund (with SB jacket, of course - neither with db). If you're not worried about the old guidelines and you have a great tolerance for the heat, though, aesthetically that would work just fine. :)

As to waistlines, I have often also wondered whether the move to a tighter waistband came with the trend away from braces/suspenders and towards belts. A more relaxed fit that a brace would hold up no problem would be liable to bunch up uncomfortably under a belt. Or could it have been the simple fact of the waistband moving lower on the body on average? I know I can wear a slimmer waist trouser more comfortable in a high waisted style than in something more modern.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
I have a SB PL tuxedo, a cream dinner jacket with shawl lapels and a tartan plaid dinner jacket with shawl lapels. I have a white 3 button waistcoat that I recently purchased to wear with the black dinner jacket and a black Robert Talbott cumberbund (with hidden ticket pockets) that I wear the the rest of the time.

Most of my in-town events are in the winter, so the black jacket sees the most use. The dinner jackets usually make their appearance when Mrs. Mark_from_Plano and I go on cruises in the Caribbean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy