Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Feraud

Bartender
With this waist coat you need the following watch chain as an accessory.
DJ_9543-iID_8.jpg

DSC03739.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
Charlie Noodles said:
I like the tux' but it'd be a stretch for me to even own a suit. Where would I wear it?

In my youth I wore one to Church every so often, just because I could get away with it lol. Now, I'm not so adventurous. [huh]

maff2k

New in Town
Having lurked on this excellent board for some time I recon I should start to make more of a contribution.

A couple of years back I was invited to a black tie do at the local freemasons. I duly rented a standard tux and had a great evening. A year later I found myself joining the masons and as such started to wear a standard suit to lodges.

The following year I attended the annual black tie do and decided to buy a tux. I now wear this to the monthly meetings. I do like the looks I get walking through town to lodge in my hat and tux!

I'm slowly moving forward and have progressed from a clip on to a proper tied bowtie (thanks to youtube video how-tos!) I hope to add a waist coat so I can start to use my pocket watch.

Matthew (lammenting the passing of general, day to day, suit wearing!)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I recently purchased these grey houndstooth tuxedo pants. When can I wear them and with what? Is a cream shawl collar dinner jacket as acceptable as a black shawl collar jacket? Either? Neither?

8564_1_b.JPG

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's no such thing as gray houndstooth tuxedo pants.

They could possibly be morning trousers, in which case you could wear them with a morning jacket (unlikely to need to) or use them for a stroller. Your best course is simply to treat them as odd trousers to wear with a sportcoat or sweater.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Unless I'm in a production of My Fair Lady, I doubt that I'll be needing morning trousers. I was actually thinking of wearing them with a dinner jacket. It may be a fashion faux pas but, who knows, I may give it a go. :)

Feraud

Bartender
Attended an event this weekend that required I show off "the good stuff". ;)
Here is a vintage Clipper Craft midnight blue tux.
Dated '43 based on an ink stamp on a label.
DSC06154-1.jpg

David V

A-List Customer
carter said:
Unless I'm in a production of My Fair Lady, I doubt that I'll be needing morning trousers. I was actually thinking of wearing them with a dinner jacket. It may be a fashion faux pas but, who knows, I may give it a go. :)

Please don't wear them with a tux jacket. Wear them with a black SB or DB jacket during the day.

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Feraud, you looked sharp as always the other night. HOWEVER, someday we're gonna get a picture of you SMILING! ;)
If you wanted to see me smiling you should have snapped a pic of me holding that pleated tie! I was grinning for about five minutes straight. :)

Bugsy

One Too Many
Mid-fogey said:
...I remember reading that Thomas Jefferson continued to wear knee breeches until he died, despite the fact that they out of style for over 20 years. Those outfits became elevated from everyday to "court dress." Interestingly, it seems that the everyday outfit of today becomes the dress outfit of tomorrow. Note that the tuxedo is giving way to the black suit. In 50 years will black shorts and polo shirts be dress clothes?

HEAVEN FORBID!!!:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Attended an event this weekend that required I show off "the good stuff". ;)
Here is a vintage Clipper Craft midnight blue tux.
Dated '43 based on an ink stamp on a label.
DSC06154-1.jpg

Smootherama...muy distinguido

My latest purchase to copy 1938 Original Dinner Suit - one owner - from Gowings Bros the Sydney version of Kaufmanns. Yes a 3 piece dinner suit - any comment from the resident experts? Size - wait for it - 36"!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I lived there every lunchtime and introduced lotsa mates to it and am still devastated to know its gone. My alterations tailor upstairs tells me the whole building has been bought by Village Roadshow owner of the State Theatre. Ironically a poster in the stairwell informs that the same builders were used on the construction and after the State Theatre was built the builders moved straight to construction of Gowings Building in 1929. Here are pix for fellow Loungers edification:

http://abstractbusiness.net/img/location.jpg http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/02/11/gowings11206_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg http://www.arben.com.au/images/gowings.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
cookie said:
Smootherama...muy distinguido

My latest purchase to copy 1938 Original Dinner Suit - one owner - from Gowings Bros the Sydney version of Kaufmanns. Yes a 3 piece dinner suit - any comment from the resident experts? Size - wait for it - 36"!

Thank you sir!

I recently saw a similar outfit but in 2 pieces sitting in a thrift shop. It was made with fine thick wool and selling for around 15 dollars!
It too was a small size.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's mighty nice. We need to see you in it now, use any excuse you can find to wear it. Single breasted, peak lapel, top drawer! Now what you need to find is a proper "boiled shirt". And the bow tie should be made of the same material as the lapels, i.e. either smooth satin or grosgrain. Oh, and of course you'll have to find yourself a black homburg! And maybe grow a skinny mustache!
BTW, it's not really called a dinner suit, since the trousers aren't supposed to match the jacket. I'm not sure what the correct nomenclature is. It might be found in the great Formal Wear Primer thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24