Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I'm a working musician, both 1930's-40's big band and small band. I have a 4 button 1 to button black DB tux with peak lapels, a 5 yr old blk shawl collar of recent make, a white shawl collar dinner jacket, and my prize. That would be a late 30's, early 40's midnite blue shawl collar with magnificent trousers that was rebuilt by my tailor. 'The shoulder pads had disintegrated. Because I play archtop guitar, I needed a DB to play sitting down without a cumberbun, and a shawl collar for standing up. The fun is in the shirts, a couple of wing collars, one with a fly front that is just beautiful. Then there is a white wing collar with a fine blk/white stripe body which the purists may scoff at. Of course, the DB is worn only with lay down collar tux shirts. Joseph Abboud has a magnificent one of a very substantial fabric that came with white silk knots and a silk knot button strip. The next item will be tails for the vintage events. I can't deside if I should have one made or just keep looking for a good vintage one. I've been looking for the last 8 months, since the Art Deco Society of California's annual ball. It's quite a haul from Washington, DC, but it's a great event. Their Gatsby Revisited Fall picnic is also wonderful for good vintage clothes.Nothing like an excuse to wear good vintage dress clothes!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I suppose I never got around to posting this here. This is my other vintage tux, bought at an antique store in Omaha, Nebraska. Originally had a button fly, which a mile-long talon was sewn over at some point. Grosgrain lapels and trouser stripes. Midnight blue in bright light, but even then, almost black. Fits very nicely, very comfortable.
n630485908_468143_8646-1.jpg

n630485908_468148_109.jpg

I'm the only one who's pants aren't too long.;)
n684128824_879667_7787-1.jpg

n630485908_467125_9137-1.jpg

LuckyKat

Practically Family
Tuxes are nice....especially in the 30s...but just plain black is nice, but boring...& yes, these are both original pieces from the studios...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

As far as cream coat & black pants, I don't prefer shawl collars, although I have one, but to me...a double breasted cream coat really sets it off:

ry%3D400

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Finishing off a tuxedo?

I might actually break out my tuxedo this weekend- I'm not 100% sure.
However, what type of tux shirt do you wear with a 1940's tux?? Plus, the bow-tie; is it fat, skinny, short, long?
If anyone has a link about this, that would be a HUGE help.

Edward

Bartender
AlanC said:
There's no such thing as gray houndstooth tuxedo pants.

They could possibly be morning trousers, in which case you could wear them with a morning jacket (unlikely to need to) or use them for a stroller. Your best course is simply to treat them as odd trousers to wear with a sportcoat or sweater.

I would tend to think of them as being either generic trousers, or possibly for morning wear. A plain grey morning trouser worn with a grey morning tailcoat is a more casual alternative to full formal dress. I've seen many photos of various Royals sporting it over the years. While traditionally the grey was only worn at Royal Ascot, if memory serves (Topper knows all this backwards, if he's around), it was also a permitted exception to the general rule at weddings: the groom and the father of the bride had the option of wearing a grey tailcoat in place of the black (but none of the other men present), while the groom could also opt for matching plain grey trousers in place of regular morning trousers. I've never heard of anyone wearing anything other than black or midnight blue trousers with black tie, though for a more informal gathering, and if you're not worried about the "rules," I don't think it would be any great crime. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
I recently purchased these grey houndstooth tuxedo pants. When can I wear them and with what? Is a cream shawl collar dinner jacket as acceptable as a black shawl collar jacket? Either? Neither?

8564_1_b.JPG
I just stumbled on this image at Shorpy.com. It's from 1915. If you look closely at his trousers, they seem to be checked. Interesting, huh?
This image really makes you realize what a shock the changes in the 1920's must have been.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/4761?size=_original

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1, I love that photo you link to. To the best of my knowledge, back in the day a grey check was equally as acceptable as a stripe on morning trousers, but it's not something I think I've ever seen outside of the very odd old photo and catalogue illustrations of the time. Would be a nice alternative to the norm to have some run up, I think!

Josephine

One Too Many
Well, here's The Husband in the ensemble I got him for the cruise. At least part of it. :) He hasn't scanned in the "professional" picture we had done in the [semi]formal wear.

It was my idea to go a little flamboyant with the pocket square. Heh. :D The dress I'm wearing was my great grandmother's.

PaloCruise.gif

Edward

Bartender
The red looks great! The only stipulation for the pocket square in a light jacket is, as I recall, that it be "dark" - a good bright red always works well IMO, adding a real splash of colour which contrasts wonderfully with the monochrome nature of the rest of the outfit. What did you do for a cummerbund under there? Did you stick with black, or match with the red?

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
dhermann1, I love that photo you link to. To the best of my knowledge, back in the day a grey check was equally as acceptable as a stripe on morning trousers, but it's not something I think I've ever seen outside of the very odd old photo and catalogue illustrations of the time. Would be a nice alternative to the norm to have some run up, I think!

I believe houndstooth is an accepted alternative to striped trousers as well with morning dress. Never seen it done though.

Edward

Bartender
Josephine said:
thanks! we went with a black cummerbund to save on costs, but i might get a red one later.

I'm not normally a fan of too many matching accessories, but I think this can work well with the white jacket. Myself, with my sb Ivory shawl collar jacket I wear a late 50s, burgundy silk cummerbund. I managed to find a matching pocket square which works very nicely. :)

Max Flash said:
I believe houndstooth is an accepted alternative to striped trousers as well with morning dress. Never seen it done though.

:eek:fftopic:
I wonder why the stripes emerged as the de-facto standard.... They would be my personal aesthetic preference, but other that coincidence of subjective opinions, were there any other factors that led to them being pretty much the only thing you see in "correct" morning dress nowadays (as opposed to contemporary options, such as black wool herringbone trousers that match the tailcoat)? I presume all were equally correct with semi-formal daywear, so it wasn't simply a case of 'one pair of trousers suits all formal / semi formal daywear occasions)?

harbilly

New in Town
Hmmm. Since this thread was a 'who owns a tux' thing:

I do. I have 4 tuxedos. All are peaked.

1. Run of the mill black tux. Good for anything.
2. White Tie get up (tailcoat etc) in midnight blue for horribly awful evening events where common formal wear is not on the menu.
3. Morning Coat (cutaway) in gray with striped trousers etc.
4. Stroller in gray with appropriate trousers.

Wear 'em a few times a year. In my hat row is my one top hat which is a useful add on. I swap my usual cane (I do need one) for a straight wooden job with a silver Victorian knob with foliate decoration when wearing monkey suits. Gold studs (Edwardian), Black or White studs only if I can't get away with gold.

I avoid black bows (with the tailcoat they will give you the 'waiter' look). Tie them myself. Suspenders, no belt. Vintage footwear (avoiding those wonderful two tones in favour of decent solid shoes or formal lows as I will only go so far in breaking the rules - go ahead, say 'opera' or 'shiny slippers with bows' if you must). Snap together cufflinks, many styles, all vintage. (Hey, I say 'live a little'. When wearing a normal suit I still use a collar bar). I pair the links with any one of many amazing watches I have from the 20s, 30s and 40s. (Ask around, you would be surprised what your relatives have lying around gathering dust).

I prefer my suits for most things but having formal wear to expand my choice when dressing for some activities is sure nice.

If a fellow has formal wear and doesn't seem to be getting enough mileage out of it, well, perhaps it is time to start hosting more 'elegant' gatherings at home. Make the fancy get ups optional, keep it fun and your friends might actually enjoy themselves while ritzing it up. Can you say '1930s themed evenings'?

Despite all the right gear, I simply wore a nice suit to the ballet last week.

Surprised even myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran