Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Josephine

One Too Many
Subvet642 said:
I recently bought a "tux" when I found that I suddenly needed one. I became a Freemason in a small Lodge, and was needed to fill an officers' position. ...
He said that pocket squares aren't allowed as they are too individual and do not promote equality. :eusa_doh:

Then have everyone wear the same style grey flannel suit. EVERYBODY. :rage:

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Josephine said:
Then have everyone wear the same style grey flannel suit. EVERYBODY. :rage:

It would be black, and there is a reason for this. If everybody were to dress acording to their wealth or class, It wouldn't promote the ideals of brotherly love and equality. George Washington was a member in a lodge with his gardener, who served as Master of the lodge. BTW, I don't think that I was clear, only officers in our lodge must wear black tie but don't wear pocket squares. All others wear dark business suits (pocket square optional). ;)

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
White dress gloves

White dress gloves were also provided by most lodges. In addition to their masonic significance (a token of innocence), they made it more difficult to tell the laborors from the gentleman as they hid the workman's calluses. I had not heard the story of Washington and his gardner. I do know that President Truman sat in lodge (while president of the US) while his gardner presided as master. (Secret service were left outside) Masonry is full of stories like these. We meet upon the level.

Doc

Warden

One Too Many
What ho, I bought one when I had to go to a works award do,

I thought great I can wear it to dances and other vintage events, along with my cane and white scarf,

Sad part is I have only used it the once :(

Mind you I am keeping an eye out for a top hat, after all if ladies are present gentleman should also be.

Toodle Pip

Harry

benstephens

Practically Family
I must say, I have the opposite problem. I wear mine so frequently I have had to buy another bow tie as mine wore out and began to fray.

I have 10 evening shirts in rotation. I send them off four at a time to be re-starched by Brakers in Southhampton.

Kindest regards

Ben

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Just got my things form Vintageshirt. The boiled front shirt and detachable collars are awesome!

The vest is a bit big and I will have to have it tailored to get it to fit well, and I knew I would not be happy with the bowtie but need a white one until I find the one I want.

Now that I know the shirt and collars fit I'll have to order more.

Warden

One Too Many
Thanks Ben, the real issue is having a young family and the lack of babysitters.

That is one reason why we are not off to the Twinwoods Christmas dance which is a shame as I would of loved to of gone.

Mind you I do get to get up at 5 am on Christmas morning and see the beaming faces ~ priceless.

Harry

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Very excited, I bought an Inverness cloak off of ebay and was not sure of its size or really its condition. Since it was coming from Japan I was probably just going to have to eat it if it did not work out. Well it arrived today and it is awesome! I was wondering from the pictures as it did not have a velvet collar, and the seller thought it was not a western cloak but some special Japanese one. Well it is an Inverness and the collar has the snaps for the removable collar. I talked to my tailor today and he can make me a new collar to fit. He didn’t want to take on the project until I opened the cloak up and showed him what it was, as the way I presented it to him it looked like just a topcoat. Once he examined it, saw quality, and realized it was vintage he was open to helping me.

I already have a beautiful beaver top hat so now it’s just down to proper gloves.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Some pictures of what I will be wearing New Years. I just got the chesterfield from ebay (what can anyone tell me about the brand “Kennedy’s”?)

Haven’t decided on the vest or a simple cumberbund, this vest does match the angle of the jacket perfect, but I may just go back to the cumberbund.

DSC07017b.jpg

DSC07011b.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
There is one thing I seriously dislike about black tie dress: that the trousers must be worn with braces/suspenders. Why can't you wear a belt? If you wear a waistcoat (vest if you're American) or cummerbund then nobody can tell anyway, so why is a belt considered unsociably acceptable? Personally, I hate wearing braces, as they remind me of overalls, which are only worn by builders or little children (neither of which categories I fit into). They also pull your trousers too high up, which I think looks silly.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
There is one thing I seriously dislike about black tie dress: that the trousers must be worn with braces/suspenders. Why can't you wear a belt? If you wear a waistcoat (vest if you're American) or cummerbund then nobody can tell anyway, so why is a belt considered unsociably acceptable? Personally, I hate wearing braces, as they remind me of overalls, which are only worn by builders or little children (neither of which categories I fit into). They also pull your trousers too high up, which I think looks silly.

The belt and loops would only add thickness and bumps where they are not needed. The other is precisely because the pants are supposed to be worn high. Starting with white tie the pants are very high as the waistcoat is not that low, and the front of the waistcoat should be covered by the jacket. To lower all of that would make you look shorter which is not the job of black or white tie. In Black or White tie a man should look his tallest, his thinnest of waist, and his broadest of shoulder. Lowering or thickening the waist in any way does not help accomplish this.

Feraud

Bartender
avedwards said:

Braces hold your trousers exactly where you want them. You adjust them for the correct height and they will not rise or drop.

Suspenders and braces and how your pants line up.

For me, the whole getting to use braces was and still is part of the charm of a tux.

I use suspenders with my suits most of the time but sometimes a belt. The suspenders do have an advantage as to holding the pants at the right height where as the belt will only hold it at that one spot where my pants line up to with a belt. Formal wear and suit pants line up higher usually, I guess that is a higher rise style pants and for me braces does it best.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Here's a photo of me in my 1927 single breasted tux. The thing is mint!

A friend took that of me before we left for Matt and Lauren's wedding... havin' a bottle of milk and a doughnut! lol I added the Monitor Top with photoshop.
l_94a35b3c51008b7f0071b0d8217366ed.jpg

And here's a photo of me in my tails dated 1948 however, they look earlier then that:

520742907_l.jpg

Lumelux

New in Town
I have a SB Valentino Shawl collar Dinner Jacket and Trousers that I bought for my wedding 6 years ago. I've always liked the SB Grosgrain peak lapel jackets of years past but cannot find one to fit and I'm reluctant to buy of Ebay in case it doesn't fit. I do however have 3 Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Stiff front shirts I got off Ebay. They are fantastic and well worth the price of $40 he charges for them. If you are going for the old style look, I highly recommend them. You can get the collars from BB for $20. I agree with you that you can't cheap out on shoes. I've seen guys wear black penny loafers with formalwear and want to slap them. Personally, I think only patent leather shoes are proper although some say you can wear a plain black oxford. Also should mention I have the silk plush Top Hat and Silver handled walking stick as well as the vintage cufflinks and shirt/collar studs.

Luigi Vampa

New in Town
cgab1 said:
I just bought this tux on e-bay. With a little steam cleaning, I think she'll be fine.

IMG_52672.jpg
[/IMG]

cgab

I almost bid on that one, but I would've needed to drop a few inches off my waist to get it to fit! People back then must have been a lot skinnier.

Excellent find. I can't get enough of double-breasted dinner jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo