Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think you're drawn here because of past life memories....

Taz-man

Familiar Face
I love cemeteries too. I love going around to them to try and find relatives. Just like several months ago I found out that I had a great aunt that my father never knew about. She was either stillborn or died shortly after birth. I have a fear of drowning and burning up in a fire. I had these fears before I got interested in disasters. I still dont really like even holding a lit match. I also seem to be really sensitive to being around smoke, which makes it hard for me to breathe.

This reminds me of something that happened to me recently.

A gal got ahold of me on a social networking site. She had told me that she had a dream, and I was in it. We were apparently on a date in the dream, someone was mean to her, I stood up for her, blah, blah, blah. We went to High School together, but I had no clue who she was. She knew my brother and sister though.

Since that day, we've been practically inseparable and we just clicked. We both feel like we've known each other forever. I've never had someone become one of my best friends that quickly in all my life.

What about people? Has anyone met someone for the first time and felt like you've known them for years? Have you met someone that you DON'T like for absolutely no logical reason. A lot of folks believe your drawn to past loves and friends who help you in life. I know I've run into people that I instantly know I will have a relationship with, now that is beyond strange to me.

Blackjack

One Too Many
One of the most famous cases of past life regression through hypnosis is that of Ruth Simmons. In 1952, her therapist, Morey Bernstein, took her back past the point of her birth. Suddenly, Ruth began to speak with an Irish accent and claimed that her name was Bridey Murphy, who lived in 19th century Belfast, Ireland. Ruth recalled many details of her life as Bridey, but, unfortunately, attempts to find out if Ms. Murphy really existed were unsuccessful. There was, however, some indirect evidence for the truth of her story: under hypnosis, Bridey mentioned the names of two grocers in Belfast from whom she bought food, Mr. Farr and John Carrigan. A Belfast librarian found a city directory for 1865-1866 that listed both men as grocers. Her story was told both in a book by Bernstein and in a 1956 movie, The Search for Bridey Murphy.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've never really experienced this, but many people say it to me.
That one has hit me many times in life.

I guess if I ever really had a life before this one, I would have had to been Howard Hughes...but he was very much still alive the majority of my life...so that leaves me baffled and totally unable to come to the conclusions that can give me any detailed thinking that I may have lived before....although perhaps I could have been a Pirate?

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
One of the most famous cases of past life regression through hypnosis is that of Ruth Simmons. In 1952, her therapist, Morey Bernstein, took her back past the point of her birth. Suddenly, Ruth began to speak with an Irish accent and claimed that her name was Bridey Murphy, who lived in 19th century Belfast, Ireland. Ruth recalled many details of her life as Bridey, but, unfortunately, attempts to find out if Ms. Murphy really existed were unsuccessful. There was, however, some indirect evidence for the truth of her story: under hypnosis, Bridey mentioned the names of two grocers in Belfast from whom she bought food, Mr. Farr and John Carrigan. A Belfast librarian found a city directory for 1865-1866 that listed both men as grocers. Her story was told both in a book by Bernstein and in a 1956 movie, The Search for Bridey Murphy.
I think I may have heard about this event or one or two similar stories, perhaps they were on a documentary type show discussing how our minds work from having someone take us back in time via Hypnosis,?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
THAT is a very common thread with people in the old soul new soul camp. Many persons believe that if you died a violent or unexpected sudden death, the memory of that same way of dying carries over as an unnatural fear of the cause. It's a strange phenomenon, someone who has never been cut is terrified of knives, or water, or bees...interesting.

Interesting... I have an awful fear of water. But, I think that may stem from my childhood in Florida and many trips driving over the 7 Mile Bridge on US1 in the keys. I get panicky even driving over lake bridges! LOL

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've never had that experience with people. But I always get "You remind me of someone" or "you look like [insert old friend or relative name here]." For a while a bunch of people in my hometown told me I looked like a girl named "April" - whom I had never seen or met.

Do you think we all have vivid-er imaginations than the average joe -- hence why we feel a stronger connection and that we've "been there before"? I often blame my imagination for my eerie vintage connection. Like I said in a previous post in this thread, I like to make up stories about cemetery residents and I'm also right now on this kick where I'm imagining my apartment building how it must have been in it's heyday (with this recent discovery of a rotted ballroom, salon, and squash court.)

Also when I sew vintage dresses I try to assess who would have worn that particular dress and wear they would have worn it. Every vintage item I own I often end up attaching some made-up story to it! All of this imagining often makes the past seem more alive in my mind. Makes me feel like I've "been there."

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
All of this imagining often makes the past seem more alive in my mind. Makes me feel like I've "been there."

I never thought of that, its quite possible! I have a Singer sewing machine made in 1957 named Beryl (after the lady who owned it.) It makes me feel a strange sort of connection with it :) People think thats weird, but it isn't to me. I love knowing about the personal history of my vintage objects, or trying to imagine one.

rue

Which leads to an interesting question: of the folks here who have felt a Golden Era affinity since early childhood, how many were raised with no Golden Era influence at all? How many grew up in strictly-modern-contemporary families where there were no lingering ties to the Era or its culture?
That's a good question and I thought about it for quite a while, but couldn't come up with anything. I've always been looked at as sort of strange in my family, because of the things I liked. I was raised by my mother for the most part and although she was a stay at home mom and loved antiques, she was a flower child in the 60s, so I don't have any connection through her that would explain my views. My grandfather was a huge deal in my life, but he was a private man that didn't like to discuss the past and he died when I was 16, so I really don't have any golden era influence at all from him or anyone that I can think of.

rue

THAT is a very common thread with people in the old soul new soul camp. Many persons believe that if you died a violent or unexpected sudden death, the memory of that same way of dying carries over as an unnatural fear of the cause. It's a strange phenomenon, someone who has never been cut is terrified of knives, or water, or bees...interesting.

I'm scared to death of heights and flying [huh]
What about people? Has anyone met someone for the first time and felt like you've known them for years? Have you met someone that you DON'T like for absolutely no logical reason. A lot of folks believe your drawn to past loves and friends who help you in life. I know I've run into people that I instantly know I will have a relationship with, now that is beyond strange to me.

Yes, several times, but one time was really odd. We had our house on the Christmas home tour and all kinds of people were walking through, but this one woman came in and we both looked at each other and said "Hi! How are you?! and then we both looked at each other in confusion. It turns out we had never met each other before, but somehow it felt like we had. It kind of freaked both of us out and we never saw each other again.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I will have to ask my Wife about a book we have floating around here. This woman that is the Author died more than one time (while in a hospital) and writes much more than I can state here, but if you read this person's book, it may have some real answers to many questions here. Oh...I just found the book, it is called "embraced by the light", by Betty J. Eadie. Not sure if any of you have read it, but I found it very interesting and possible as far as answers to what has been or may be.

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
I remember when I was about 5 or so, I got taken to a carboot sale. There was an old ladies handbag there, it was black leather with a little arm strap to go across your forearm and a gold clasp on it. It smelt pretty musty, but I wanted it so badly. My sister thought it was really odd why I wanted this old ladies bag, I couldn't really explain why - I just wanted it. Even though I knew it smelt kinda musty, I thought it was lovely. Any-way so I got the bag for probably back then in the early 80's for 5 pence or something silly and I took it home. I rather cherished it. As I got older I was always drawn to older more vintagey items. Without really thinking much about it. I remember when I was 17 or so, winter was kicking in and I had the urge to go and buy a thick lined sheepskinned coat. It was super practical and very warm etc. I always only buy stuff if I can not physically leave the shop without it. But looking back, around my early 20's I got into dresses, 50s dresses - starting off with tea dresses. And as time has gone on, the outfits feel most comfortable (at home in) are 50's outfits. I look at stuff from the 20's and 30's and it doesn't jump out at me but for some reason 40s and 50s stuff just draws me in.I dont know if it was a 50's car at all, but there was a garage on the route I used to walk to work and everyday there was this car sat outfront for sale. It was old, but it had been left in a garage for like what seemed forever and so it was like it was brand new. I can't even think what make it was, but I would stare at this car everyday for about 6 months wanting to buy it. It was only 100 quid too! But I didn't have a license then but if ever saw that car again, I'd buy it. I always wanted one of those citroen cars, with the roof that folds back and they get named things like daisy and suchlike. I have no idea why, they aren't practical or as safe as the car I have but I want one?

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Which leads to an interesting question: of the folks here who have felt a Golden Era affinity since early childhood, how many were raised with no Golden Era influence at all? How many grew up in strictly-modern-contemporary families where there were no lingering ties to the Era or its culture?

My family is a mix. They enjoy modern TV, technology, clothing and decorating, but they are a wealth of knowledge about Golden Era Hollywood and watch TCM quite often. Many people will ask my parents "what happened" to me, and my dad will proudly say "I introduced her to MGM musicals, and her mother introduced her to Film Noir." Friends who have known me since childhood know I've always been "that way," and usually attribute it to my parents' influence.

There were also many vintage things about the house, like record players and rotary phones, and my mother especially has a huge collection of movie star biographies. I had all the resources, and I built upon it.

HOP UP

Vendor
Wow...Ive always had this feeling and already reasoned that I may have lived a past life in the 1940s & 50s.

In particular, I always have this recurring vision of me leaving for war on a train and waving goodbye to my girl and family. I always get emotional when I see films depicting troops coming home/leaving family in WWII and as such have a huge affinity for the period - from the film, music, cars and clothes of the era to the values and simplicity of the time.

C Dot boy are you lucky !!

HOP UP

Mine, too. We're slowly updating. It started happening faster after we moved off the farm. Growing up there, we had the quintessential 60's/70's feel to the house, especially the living room. Green shag, paneling, console TV, with rabbit ears, and 1979 plaid furniture lol

Our whole way of living is old-fashioned except for modern TV, and my parents have updated, since they built a new house, and they wear modern fashions. However, my pa's hair is still a bit 70s. We all avidly collect antiques, always have vintage cars, and believe in those good old-fashioned ways of life.

My family is a mix. They enjoy modern TV, technology, clothing and decorating, but they are a wealth of knowledge about Golden Era Hollywood and watch TCM quite often. Many people will ask my parents "what happened" to me, and my dad will proudly say "I introduced her to MGM musicals, and her mother introduced her to Film Noir." Friends who have known me since childhood know I've always been "that way," and usually attribute it to my parents' influence.

There were also many vintage things about the house, like record players and rotary phones, and my mother especially has a huge collection of movie star biographies. I had all the resources, and I built upon it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
However, my pa's hair is still a bit 70s. We all avidly collect antiques, always have vintage cars, and believe in those good old-fashioned ways of life.

My dad's hair has been the same since he was 13 years old lol Sounds like a great family atmosphere!

What's funny is my parent's influence barely extended to my brother: The most vintage thing he loves is the original Star Trek. Needless to say, we don't share any of the same tastes, especially in cars... He drives a massive Dodge Ram 3500 :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn