Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a fedora with your leather jacket?

Do you wear a fedora with your leather jacket?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Yes, often.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Yes, but rarely.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • No, I avoid pairing the two together.

Votes: 21 24.1%

• Total voters

The Good

Call Me a Cab
How many of you wear your fedora hats with your leather jackets or coats?

For some reason, I have a bit of an aversion to wearing one with a leather jacket myself. I have on occasion worn my Akubra Fed IV, vintage Stetson St. Regis, and Open Road with a G-1, but these have only been about a dozen different times. If I wear a hat at all with my leather, it's lately been just the Open Road, maybe the vintage grey Stetson. Even though there isn't supposed to be anything wrong with it in theory, it could be I just don't care to be seen as costuming Indiana Jones, for example; the most iconic fedora and leather jacket wearer, ever. I like Indiana Jones, but I try not to wear more than one Indy related accessory at a time, the hat, or my jacket (and that is not even Indy). I guess as a general rule, I usually avoid wearing a hat with my leather jacket, but I'm fine with wearing a hat with just about anything else.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I don't want to look like IJ. I wear a wide brimmed hat with my leather jacket which is usually a car coat or a long half belt in black. I'm more Adam Savage than Indiana Jones (thank God). I wear a grey and a fawn campdraft and a brown drover. Hats with thick ribbons I'm not big on.

Edward

Bartender
I've yet to wear a Fedora out with my Wested Riders Indy jacket.... not sure about that one. Otherwise, no problem. I've worn a fedora with most of my other leathers. With A2s, more often a Fifties-style fedora with the lower crown and 2" brim, particularly in a grey. I do more commonly wear a cap with the leathers, but I certainly don't avoid the fedoras. If you want to avoid being called Indy by folks on the street, you're best off avoiding a fedora altogether, brown ones at least.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
First of all - A fedora and a Irvin jacket is a bad match.
Secondly: I don't have a fedora - only a straw Borsalino. And when I wear that it's too damn hot for leather. :)

Edward

Bartender
First of all - A fedora and a Irvin jacket is a bad match.
Secondly: I don't have a fedora - only a straw Borsalino. And when I wear that it's too damn hot for leather. :)

Ha, yes.... Irvins and B3s both, I can say from experience, don't work with a Fedora, if for no better reason than when it's cold enough for the sheepskin, I usually want to be able to flip the collar up to cover my ears - not an option with a Fedora in place. (It also might look a little odd, but utility is my main concern here).

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
A nice Fed IV with my ELC Roughwear 1401 A2 is a great match. I also have a ELC 1940's Navy/MC flight jacket that is a darker brown but it doesn't look as good with the Fed IV as the A2 does.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You know, a felt hat with a great leather jacket is about PERFECT, especially if both are a little beat up. But I don't ever combine them, because of the inevitable razzing. It's the only time I feel extremely self-conscious.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I occasionally wear a fedora-bashed OR or CD with my A-1...but that is about the only time I ever combine felt with leather. If I'm wearing a G-1 or A-2, I'm generally hatless or wearing a vintage ball cap. I guess that I agree with many here. A fedora with a leather jacket is just a little "over the top" for my taste.

AF

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I do, but far more often with my black A-2 and a gray hat (Temple or Stylemaster) than my two brown jackets and my brown Fed III.

I tend to wear a brown herringbone B!Wear cap with the brown jackets. (It's not anti-Indy bias so much as the Fed III is just a little too much hat - it regularly hits the ceiling when driving, gets knocked off when getting in/out of the car, etc.)

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Aside from the Indiana Jones comments, I've always felt (no pun intended) that a hat is a bit too formal to go with a "casual" leather jacket. For these reasons, I typically go hatless with a leather jacket or with an 8-panel tweed cap or B-1 flight cap.

Noel

Tadite

Familiar Face
I'm down with Indy (forgetting the new movie) but it's just to close to a costume for me. I'm a fan of traditional clothing but....

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You know, a felt hat with a great leather jacket is about PERFECT, especially if both are a little beat up. But I don't ever combine them, because of the inevitable razzing. It's the only time I feel extremely self-conscious.

I get you, it's a very good style, it really should be, but it's one that you know will almost certainly have automatic associations drawn towards it...

I have worn my brown Fed IV with my own jacket just for fun, one particular day, though. Not one single Indy comment.

Hal

Practically Family
Fedoras with coats, caps with jackets; regardless of the material.
A very good general rule, I think - it's a matter of complementary shapes.
A cap does, however, also look good with single-breasted raglan-sleeve raincoats and similarly-styled tweed overcoats (is this style called "balmacaan" in the USA?).

Anders

One of the Regulars
It's pretty much the same almost every day: Brown fedora, brown leather jacket, brown boots. Sound pretty boring, but I very thoroughly explore the subtle shading options..... er... yeah, that is pretty boring, but I like it! :D

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I wear a fedora almost every day, and when the weather calls for a jacket its usually leather. I am also an Indy fan, but I try not to wear the Indy jacket and brown fedora together. If you wear a brown hat and a jacket of any sort, particularly a leather one, somebody will call you Indy. The only leather jackets I don't where brimmed hats with are fur collared ones like a B-3, or G-1, then it's usually a flat cap, ball cap, or none at all.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner