Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do your view on clothes change after covid?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I snagged a promotion at work right at the start of Covid so moved from a 5 day a week customer facing role (read: wear a business suit everyday) to a now 3 days a week work from home, 2 days work in the office where NOBODY wears a suit.

So I’ve got 14 suits sitting in my closet that rarely if ever get worn now. I do force myself to wear one everyone now and again out of guilt.

I’m still told I’m the most “dressed up person” in the office if I wear slacks/chinos and a sports coat and this is working for a huge multinational in the S&P 100 things have definitely changed in the office, it’s no longer casual Friday, it’s pretty much just casual everyday, I’ve even seen 2 guys wearing shorts to the office in summer…. That blew my mind tbh.

While I’m trying to resist the whole casual-ification of clothing it’s hard.

I’ve shifted from selvedge denim to Uniqlo ultra stretch jeans (these things are actually pretty good imo) and haven’t worn a pair of lace up boots in over 3 years which makes me sad they have been replaced by “dress” leather sneakers (although I know just writing that is blasphemy!).

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Take a cup of coffee outside a bookstore on a nice sunny day man, you'll enjoy it. The rest I don't really care for either
the coffee outside convenient store nearby is actually nice I can do that while taking a break when cycling, bookstores too are impacted here, one of the biggest bookstore chain here is closed just recently, due to e book, or audio book perhaps, and the price of printed stuff getting more and more expensive, a hardcopy of a novel easily triple than it was several years ago the same with comicbooks, I visit bookstores mainly for its stationery section to get supply but now I can buy them online for better price and easier browsing.

cajunfries

Familiar Face
the coffee outside convenient store nearby is actually nice I can do that while taking a break when cycling, bookstores too are impacted here, one of the biggest bookstore chain here is closed just recently, due to e book, or audio book perhaps, and the price of printed stuff getting more and more expensive, a hardcopy of a novel easily triple than it was several years ago the same with comicbooks, I visit bookstores mainly for its stationery section to get supply but now I can buy them online for better price and easier browsing.
i dont get the digital purchases, especially since you dont 'own: what you're paying for,

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i dont get the digital purchases, especially since you dont 'own: what you're paying for,
I think for younger generation who are familiar with digital copies in gaming for example since a new game is basically sold as beta and keep on getting reworked as it is being played already by many so basically the thing we buy keep on being reshaped by its maker following collective inputs or demand, so perhaps the same with book, maybe a book can be edited too when some complaints arise, a physical stuff in their possession doesn't matter, they prefer access to a file somewhere in the cloud every time they want to download it otherwise they can delete it from their device to save space but can redownload it again when they need to revisit it but perhaps that will never happen as new digital stuff is added at such speed. I think it all started with PC antivirus software, we bought what appear to be a big box of physical installer, but as I opened the box it was empty, just a piece of note to download the software and its most updated virus list on their web and then use the registration code to register it, it was already like that at the time other softwares were still being sold as physical CD/DVD disc, on the positive side it opens door to any writer or comic book artist to publish their stuff since digital publisher risk almost nothing to put all these stuff up on their site to buy and download as long as they have a decent cover and interesting sounding preview compared when publisher had to actually print and market and risk huge loss if the content is a flop, on the negative readers now have to browse like finding needle in a haystack to find something nice next to lots of crappy stuff, same like browsing a good app in android playstore.

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many

OMG where did you find this? Is this for sale?

I had this Reed a long time ago in black and it was probably my best fitting, coolest jacket I’ve ever owned. Definitely a 70’s leather but not cheap or low quality at all IMO. Probably one of my biggest jacket selling regrets. That and a 70’s tan goatskin trucker by “Top Gear” I. Foster and Sons. Only seen a few of these Reeds for sale in the last 10 years or so but never in my size.

Fifty150

One Too Many
We say that we are in the "post covid" world. We're not. Covid is still infecting and killing people. The lockdown in various parts of the world, has changed our activities of daily living. For better or worse, it is change. Some of us now buy Clorox, hand sanitizer, rubber gloves, and surgical masks in bulk. Closing non-essential stores for months has diverted discretionary spending to e-commerce. Even essential spending went to e-commerce with online grocery orders. Perhaps Covid expedited a step forward in the way that we live. In some ways, good. In other ways, not so good. But it's a matter of perspective. Appearance is everything. Opinions vary. A bizarre side effect was when Highway Patrol reported that people were driving faster. They conducted more traffic stops for excessive speed, and the speeds recorded were higher.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
yes here too covid is still here and there infecting people but it is currently treated to ease its symptoms just as common flu, some people wearing mask especially elder people or people who works in public space the entire day like security, cleaning servicemen, shop attendants, etc. probably change the entire world like japan where its pretty common to see people wearing mask. I carry mask in my jacket inner pocket just in case but I leave hand sanitizer in the car or in the bicycle bag, and even that it was the same small bottle I bought in 2020, I've been vaccined 3x as most people here in my country as nation's policy or even more for some people who wanted extra dose so most likely we have some basic antibody against whatever evolution of this virus to reduce its effect on us.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
During the Covid-19’s i swapped most of my wardrobe from far west brands to European or German brands, whenever possible also made in Europe or Germany.
Being less a collector, I wear all my clothing, shoes… quite frequently during the respective season, I recently closed that swapping circle purchasing a shorter version Barbour jacket to replace a respective Carhartt.
So over all, that period changed my view on clothing to a more de-globalized approach whenever possible and having closed that above mentioned circle I’ll certainly purchase new clothing at way lower frequency.

OMG where did you find this? Is this for sale?

I had this Reed a long time ago in black and it was probably my best fitting, coolest jacket I’ve ever owned. Definitely a 70’s leather but not cheap or low quality at all IMO. Probably one of my biggest jacket selling regrets. That and a 70’s tan goatskin trucker by “Top Gear” I. Foster and Sons. Only seen a few of these Reeds for sale in the last 10 years or so but never in my size.
It’s on eBay for a whopping $50. A size too small for me I think. It’s cool!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204356486398?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8oJctkkASru&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Ur_AYQu0TLS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=
IMG_5958.jpeg
IMG_5959.jpeg
IMG_5960.jpeg

With the 70’s stuff you really have to watch the leathers. I’ve found the early leather shop stuff, with the black tag to be just like what Bates was using but literally skived down to half the the thickness.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
It’s on eBay for a whopping $50. A size too small for me I think. It’s cool!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204356486398?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8oJctkkASru&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Ur_AYQu0TLS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=
View attachment 522717 View attachment 522718 View attachment 522719
With the 70’s stuff you really have to watch the leathers. I’ve found the early leather shop stuff, with the black tag to be just like what Bates was using but literally skived down to half the the thickness.

Very interesting. This one isn’t Reed Sportswear. The one I had was identical to this but in black and with the Reed label. And I mean identical in every detail. It became very popular as it was the jacket Joseph Gordon Levitt wore in Inception and after that they became rare. I wonder if the cut is the same because mine had an amazing almost 30s half belt like cut with a really nice front drop. Thanks for sharing, unfortunately too big for me.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I was working long days and and nights during the pandemic and under ridiculous stress. All this conincided with turning 50 and rekindling some old interests in music and style. I think I went a little crazy buying clothes I thought I ‘might’ wear when it all ended.

My interest in clothes hasn’t abated - in fact I’m spending more than ever. But now I’m honing in on styles and stuff that I’ll actually get a lot of wear out of.

Tl;dr: I’ve gone from cosplaying Andrew Eldritch to Daniel Craig, lol.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I guess I kind of experienced Covid differently than younger folks. Being already retired I didn't have to adjust to not going into the office. I stopped that in 2015. Save for the masks and not being able to do crowd oriented things, my life really didn't change. I didn't go into "hermit mode". I went out to eat, shopped regularly etc... I did miss vacations abroad but I can't sprout wings so no travel. As older folks tend to do I worried about friends that got it and the lingering effects of the virus and it's treatments. Of course as soon as restrictions were lifted and I went to a family reunion both Puddin' and I came down with it. Symptoms weren't too bad but I could've lived without the experience.

As for how it affected my leather jacket lust? It really didn't. I didn't buy much but I did spend money on repairs. I also become a Birkenstock banger though... Sandals are marvelous. I also began working as a Literacy Volunteer. That's about the only activity besides walking the doggo, that made me think about what I was going to wear. So all in all, no big life changes. Great topic though.... wish I'd a thought of it!

Worf

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
I feel post covid, my own drive in clothing and taking picture of my self for wjdywt thread has changed, my activity is mostly the same and I wear same things but I just don't ponder and browse the internet to get new jeans or jacket or boots or anything, the thirst was gone, post covid I bought 2 tshirts with funny animal pictures on it, 2 pairs of fatigue pants, and wabash vest, all very affordably priced to local standard (means very cheap by international standard) and somewhat what I wear the most.
I have sold over 10 pairs of shoes and work related clothing like blazers. Donated a ton of clothing too. Meaning less boring clothes. Less pieces but better quality and more expressive of my style

Fifty150

One Too Many
I've been vaccined 3x as most people here in my country as nation's policy or even more for some people who wanted extra dose

As for going out and enjoying a cup of coffee, I can remember spending $0.90 for breakfast, the waitress poured you a cup of coffee and kept refilling it. In those days, you got 3 eggs. I would spend $1. $0.90 for the food, $0.05 for the coffee, and the waitress got to keep the change.

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

It's different everywhere. Different countries had different access to vaccines. And those vaccines were made available, with each governing body establishing their own protocol as to whom was prioritized.

In January of 2021, The USA announced that vaccinations were available. First doses were administered to healthcare providers in hospitals and nursing homes who were in direct contact with Covid patients, and the patients in those facilities. Phase Two of the vaccines, made available in February 2021, was for seniors, healthcare workers, and essential public safety personnel. I got the first shot on February 7, 2021, and the second shot on March 7, 2021.

Then we were asked to get a booster after six months. My third shot was on November 9, 2021. I felt a little guilty that I was already given three shots, while other people had zero shots. People were still dying from Covid. From conversations with friends and relatives in other parts of the world, I learned different information than what was being reported by the media. Word on the streets was that the wealthy were able to get vaccinated at will, whereas people with less affluence did not have the same access. As is the same for all medical treatment. If you have money, you can go to your private doctor.

Six months later, I was instructed that another booster was needed. On May 20, 2022, I was vaccinated again. At this point, there were still people in other parts of the world who did not have access to vaccines. People I knew in other countries were taking vaccine vacations to The USA. Major airports in The USA had vaccine clinics. Just like every dose administered in the rest of the country, it was free of charge. There was the impression that American vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna were "more effective". If you had money, and you did not have faith in the Chinese or Russian vaccines, you got a Tourist Visa, and came to The USA. You get your first shot after stepping off the plane. Enjoy your 30 day vacation. Then get your second shot before stepping back on a plane to fly home. Again, this was an option only for the wealthy. Farmers, Tuk-Tuk drivers, Go-Go dancers, teachers, construction workers, etc...... how could they get five or six weeks off from work, and afford an extended vacation in The USA?

The fifth shot came on October 27th, 2022. The virus had mutated, and the vaccines were updated. I received a BiValent vaccine. The statistics supported that people who were already vaccinated, were being infected by the new strains of Covid. People were still dying.

Earlier this year, I was advised to get a booster, for the BiValent vaccine. On April 27th, 2023, I got shot number 6. You don't see television reports on Covid anymore. I don't hear about it on the radio. There are articles written, but only read by people who choose to read those reports.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 22.42.10.png

I was told that my area of the country, has a higher percentage of the population vaccinated. According to what I heard, word of mouth, two out of three adults in my area have received at least 1 dose of Johnson & Johnson, or 2 doses of Moderna and/or Pfizer. There are plenty of people who got shots 2 years ago, and have not gotten boosters.

The disease is still there. Drug makers are still developing and modifying drugs to keep up with the disease mutations. Plenty of data from The Centers for Disease Control. My local Department of Public Health still reports on regional data. You can interpret statistics in many different ways. What I do know, is that people are still spreading the disease, and people are still dying. Just like HIV, it may never go away. I can minimize my exposure to HIV. Much harder to do that with Covid.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 22.46.34.png

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I didn't pay for my shots, I'm not in rich parameter who pay to get early shots or taking prioritized group's ration to cover my own risk, nope, I got them pretty late, and I had to stand in the sun for 6 hours for my first shot, some people were standing in the line from 3am in the morning I was a little more sane so I came 6am in the morning, and standing in long disorganized que on a parking lot of a small Clinique until perhaps around mid day when my turn was up, and I walked there since I have no idea how this vaccine would affect me and what I got was 3x astra zeneca

it was mandated by our government, to get entry permission into public buildings we had to download an app that monitors our location and also vaccine certification and also showing either green, red or black of areas on local map status, as a person suspected of covid his app will also turns red, or if he is positive then it would turn black and he has to stay at home quarantine if a person with covid positive found outside his house or in public space he would be sent to public quarantine housing or even processed by law, there were some people who opposed it and refused to be vaccined or downloading this app but of course they can't get into public facilities including hospital should things happen to them. so either we register and play by the rule and get all the medical care should we get infected or we go rogue and survive outside the system for however long the pandemic would be.. now all is the past and the app is turned into public medical database which is not bad.

cajunfries

Familiar Face
Not here to talk covid, but do note that almost all workplaces and free covid testing availability has essentially disappeared this year. Less testing -> less infections reported.

as for attires, Less suits and ties nowadays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk