Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs 15, size 7 1/4, wide bound brim, FOR TRADE

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Dobbs 15 in size 7 1/4 for trade:

http://www.dysmedia.com/Dobbs15/

The color shifts depending upon the light, from taupe to very light blue/gray; these photos are reasonably accurate for indoor light, but in full daylight the hat is definitely bluer.

This is a gorgeous hat, recently received from Douglas, which just doesn't work for me. My major issue is that the felt is *so* thin -- almost like paper -- that I can't get it to hold a shape that I like. That said, felt this thin is obviously desirable from a quality point of view: it's kind of an amazing achievement, with a beautiful hand. If you want to fool around with hat stiffener, etc., then I'm sure you can get it right; I'm a bit nervous to try. (I sprayed the inside with a tiny bit of starch, which helped for about ten minutes...)

The hat was in new condition when Douglas sent it to me a few weeks ago -- open crown. I've only worn it a handful of times -- and I took the liner out immediately, so that remains perfect. (It was lightly sewn in -- you can sew it again, but it stays in place on its own.)

The leather sweatband is dry; I noticed that it was beginning to flake a bit, so I conditioned it. My sense is that it will remain a touch fragile. In fact, the hat itself is fragile; there's no getting around it. But it's a stunner.

I would like to trade it for something vintage with an equally full crown -- as for brim width, I'm flexible. In fact, I'll look at anything interesting in a 7 1/4. My latest obsession is Barbisio (just received a beauty) -- if you have one of these to trade, or a Cervo, that would be lovely. Oh, and I could use a Cavanagh -- don't have one in my collection. As I say, though, I'm open.

I prefer to trade, rather than sell...

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Earlier photos...

Okay, here are the original pictures Douglas sent me -- they're actually even better for getting a sense of the color. The first ones are the bluish color it often seems in sunlight; the last ones the taupe. The leather band has flaked a bit since these were taken, as I say -- and the hat has of course been shaped -- but they're otherwise accurate.

Dobbs1.jpg

Dobbs2.jpg

Dobbs3.jpg

Dobbs4.jpg

Dobbs5.jpg

Dobbs6.jpg

Dobbs7.jpg

Dobbs8.jpg

Dobbs9.jpg

(I've stolen Douglas's copyright with these photos; being a professional photographer, I'm nervous about such things -- Douglas, I'll happily take them down if it's an issue...)

Viper Man

Banned
:eusa_clap That's a beauty and I am very tempted. However, I am in line for another VS and I promised my wife that I would thin out my collection some (I am beginning to run out of space!). Good luck!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Paging Michaelshane!

Michael, got your message, but I can't respond: your mailbox is full!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
once again paging Michaelshane

Your inbox is full again! Time to get rid of all those obsolete messages...

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL