Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs Duvay Felts

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Anyone heard of them? Only reference I've found is an April 3,1939 "Life" ad:

DuvayAd.jpg

Light cream color with dark-brown ribbon and wind cord. Soft, floppy lightweight felt, silk liner sewn at the side (not stitched), taped-sweatband that feels like glove leather. 6" crown, 2 7/8" raw edge brim. $10 price tag under the sweatband. Very high quality. Bashed pics show the original bash, which doesn't need changing. Condition is near-perfect - I haven't even brushed it. Pics were taken in low outdoor light:

DobbsDuvaySide.jpg

DobbsDuvaySideUnB.jpg

DobbsDuvayTop.jpg

DobbsDuvayFront.jpg

DobbsDuvayBottom.jpg

DobbsDuvaySweatLogo.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Might be the same Cavanagh patented process seen on Leisure Light and Cross Country hats of the period. Does it have its factory order tag under the sweatband with a patent number at the bottom?
IMG_4298.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Might be the same Cavanagh patented process seen on Leisure Light and Cross Country hats of the period. Does it have its factory order tag under the sweatband with a patent number at the bottom?

The tag looks similar to yours, but no patent number. Tag indicates depth is actually 5 5/8

Aureliano - rather than a few loops of stitching to hold the liner together, it's sewn together (2nd pic from bottom).

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a new one on me. The hat is early- to mid-'30s, certainly older than '39, so the name stuck around a few years, but Hat Corporation of America never registered it as a trademark. I'll have to dig through my patent collection to see if I can identify it. Might be a while before I get to it, as it's end of the semester and I'm up to my hat in grading.

Thanks for posting that one, Scott!

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Pay-Per-View - Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Feb 17, 1937
DESMOND S PRESENTS. Dobbs Duvay Felts. M1ADE BY THE. PROCESS. An exclusive departure ix te making of finer lightweight hats. "Again Dobbs Sets the Style", ...

Nice research, Robert.

The felt is high quality, moreso than a Whippet (I know, sacrilege) and the other soft floppy bottom-end old Royal Stetsons, but a similar feel and weight. The felt quality is more like the old Knox Twenty's, but not as thick or stiff. Holds it's shape very well like an old 3X Open Road.

My guess is that customers couldn't distinguish this hat from low-end lightweights and/or weren't willing to pay the higher price.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
I would love to see a full picture of the lining. That hat is definately from the 30's.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I plan to take some better pics as soon as the sun comes back. It's 'creamier' colored than these washed-out pics show.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
More Lining...

Sorry for the delay, I have now updated the side,front,top picks above with better examples.

And here are some bottom detail pics:

DobbsDuvayBottomDtl.jpg

DobbsDuvayBottBack.jpg

DobbsDuvaySweat1.jpg

DobbsDuvaySweat2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy