Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs forty.... good news/bad news

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
my recent acquisition, off of ebay, and without question, the finest hat in my collection!

good news: the quality in this hat is purely amazing
bad news: I'm totally spoiled now, and any hat purchase made from here on out will pale in comparison...

I have a few other very nice hats, a knox twenty, a dobbs twenty, and a cavanagh that all have the cav-edge... but I this is the first I've owned that really has that claylike felt I've heard about. my other's are certainly soft, and shape very well, but this one... It's heaven! The color is a deep, richly warm brown, and the ribbon has hints of marroon to it. Its really quite stunning! I'm still playing with rough creases, trying to decide what I like best before steaming it in.

What was a very neat surprise, when I received the hat, I noticed that it was originally sold from Davidson's of Roanoke VA... It just so happens that I had my tuxedo fitted here 5-6 years ago for a formal college dance with my girlfriend-now-wife :)

I lack the knowledge to accurate date that hat, other than the taller/squarer crowns such as these were more popular in the 40's... I'd love to hear what the experts have to say!

DSC_6452.jpg

DSC_6454.jpg

DSC_6469.jpg

DSC_6465.jpg

DSC_6463.jpg

Last edited:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That is a beaute!! A warm brown like that is a very versatile color. Fantastic proportions. Obviously a quality lid. I could believe '40s for that one. It does have a generous swath of brown roan leather inside. Congrats and thanks for showing us - you've got a real winner there!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Nice hat. In 1955 a Stetson 7X Beaver sold for $50.

Since Davidson's is still there, they celebrated their 100th anniversary this year and still family owned, you might contact them and see if anyone there can give you a time frame when they used that logo.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Very nice! If you're truly concerned about it spoiling you for life, you could always donate the hat to me. After time you will forget about it and be pleased by other hats you find...[huh]:D

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
That is a gorgeous hat, the color is great and the finish looks superb. Crowns a little tall for me, but a beautiful hat none the less!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran