Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doe eyes, 1950

Dawna

New in Town
Here's a neat article from Life magazine about doe-eyed make-up, the new thing for winter, 1950 - "cosmetic men predict an essential future for drawn-on eyes." There's a neat photo tutorial, too. Here's the link, but if that doesn't work, it's on page 63 in the 30 January 1950 issue of Life (via google books).

http://books.google.se/books?id=_Uw...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I should add that Hollywood calls this a Bride of Frankenstein look, so proceed with caution if you move in genteel circles.

Last edited:

Dawna

New in Town
I was wondering about her hair too, and how she manages to pull it off at all! I've had my fringe do that at times and it is not pretty! ;)

Grant Fan

Practically Family
That is a cool article. And I agree here hair is not all that great. But totally off topic. The cedar hope chest with Miss America in the add the big one on top. I have that exact trunk,MIT is where I keep all of my sweaters (and that is a lot). Sorry for the off topic I was excited.

Dawna

New in Town
Grant Fan, that's so cool that you have that hope chest! I've seen so many ads for it, and have always wanted it!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Wonderful article. I like the hairstyle the model is wearing, to me it is very 1950s. Reminds me of the hair cut Audrey Hepburn got and sported in the movie Roman Holiday.

lareine

A-List Customer
I loved looking at the old adverts in that link! Funny to think that doe eye makeup was such a big deal. That isn't even an extreme version of it yet the article has a general air of horror at the whole suggestion.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I was sucked into the article on natural childbirth. I'm surprised to see photos of her husband in the delivery room. I didn't think men were allowed into labor and delivery even into the 1960's...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails