Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does it make sense to have leather jacket sized altered rather then sell and reorder.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am considering having a Aero Connolly steer hide jacket resize downward, the arms reduce in width and taper, and the shoulders brought in .5 inches at each shoulder. I have the jacket for sale at what I paid for it and no takers. I like the style and leather just not the baggy fit. I am about 40 minutes from Johnson Leathers in San Francisco.

Has anyone had experience or considering similar modifications with leather jackets? I do not intend to criticize anyone here: for example, would it make sense if you received a new custom $2,500 jacket and you were not happy with shoulders and wanted the shoulders brought in and maybe the arms more tapered, does it make for more sense to sell the jacket for a $1,000 lost and order a remake, or have the jacket alter, the last option is a common practice when buying off the rack suits? I also would think a leather jacket good be brought in at the chest and or taper to the waist. I know have cloth sort jackets altered in these ways.

Not long ago, I inquired with JL if it would be possible to resize my 44 LW and they assured me it would turn out well and explained in detail what would have to be done to the jacket. If I haven't had my most recent purchase already on the way, I would've scrapped it and went with the alteration instead, how well they've explained the process. Just from a single email I could tell how well they understood exactly what I wanted.

So right now I would say yeah, if you like the jacket enough, absolutely, talk to JL first and hear what they have to say. Might turn out better than any remake.

Psant25

One Too Many
I have worked with johnson leathers for 5-6 custom jackets and also for alterations. They have told me before they can do just about anything except altering the shoulder. I am sure that could be done but after they deconstruct the whole jacket to do it will not make sense economically.

for me paying 1000 for a new jacket I really like except maybe wide sleeves or too short back, etc I would pay the fee to alter if Around 300-400 or less. Assuming i would get about 500 for the 1000 jacket if sold it and would have to buy a new one for 1000.

i have been in this boat many times. And i am right now too. I just get the quote for the work and crunch the numbers.

one thing to consider even though JL does great work no one is perfect. I did a sleeve taper once and one sleeve opening was just ever so slightly wider than the other. 99 percent of ppl would not notice. I would every time I put on the jacket. And so the jacket was bought new, altered for x dollars, sold for 50 percent new and lost even more lol

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I am considering having a Aero Connolly steer hide jacket resize downward, the arms reduce in width and taper, and the shoulders brought in .5 inches at each shoulder. I have the jacket for sale at what I paid for it and no takers. I like the style and leather just not the baggy fit. I am about 40 minutes from Johnson Leathers in San Francisco.

Has anyone had experience or considering similar modifications with leather jackets? I do not intend to criticize anyone here: for example, would it make sense if you received a new custom $2,500 jacket and you were not happy with shoulders and wanted the shoulders brought in and maybe the arms more tapered, does it make for more sense to sell the jacket for a $1,000 lost and order a remake, or have the jacket alter, the last option is a common practice when buying off the rack suits? I also would think a leather jacket good be brought in at the chest and or taper to the waist. I know have cloth sort jackets altered in these ways.

I would draw the line at major alterations. It sounds like you may probably need to go a full size down, and that's not something I'd go to a tailor for. Aero don't use Connolly steer any longer, so that leaves you with few options.

In general, I'd recommend against alterations, other than possibly shortening the sleeves. Leather jackets are unique, so if you go after a remake, it's going to have an entirely different personality from the original, and will have to break in and develop character all its own. After chasing a "lost love" for years, I have closets full of jackets, none of which are the one I miss, many are very close, but still not it. It's an expensive lesson to learn. Fortunately, many of the ones I've found along the way I love as well.

El Marro

I have had a couple A-2 jackets altered that way, taken in from the chest down through the waist. One was a GW in shinki that I scored off the bay for around $500. In my case I thought it was worth it because I had gone through several new and used A-2s trying to get fit right and finally, with the help of my tailor, I was there.
In your case I suppose it would be wise to see how much Alan would charge you for the alterations and then decide whether or not it seems worth it depending on how much you think you might wear the jacket in the future.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Jon I think you are asking good questions here. Sounds like Johnson's could do the work and likey you would be happy with the end result. Especially if you could take it to them in person and they could measure you directly. It may cost more than you expect, and likely you may not ever get that out of the jacket either.

Overall, the "pre-owned" jacket market is a bit saturated just now, so prices are lower and it seems to take longer to sell than normal. Much of this is Covid-19 uncertainity and will eventually stabilize (we hope.)

While having the Tauber's jacket re-lined, Dena at Great leather asked if I wanted to have the sleeves lengthed. She mentioned that as possible due to the amount of de-construction she would have to do to fit the new lining. However it meant utilizing something of non-matching leather to make the adjustments. Ultimately I passed for two reasons: 1. to preserve the original staus of the jacket and 2. The Pit to PIt is simply too narrow for me, as were the shoulders to a lessor degree. The jacket length is also to short. That's a 60-70 year old horsehide jacket, it just needs to move along to someone who can really fit it.

jonbuilder

Not long ago, I inquired with JL if it would be possible to resize my 44 LW and they assured me it would turn out well and explained in detail what would have to be done to the jacket. If I haven't had my most recent purchase already on the way, I would've scrapped it and went with the alteration instead, how well they've explained the process. Just from a single email I could tell how well they understood exactly what I wanted.

So right now I would say yeah, if you like the jacket enough, absolutely, talk to JL first and hear what they have to say. Might turn out better than any remake.
Monitor, I was thinking of your LW experience and that nice speed demon of yours while writing this post

Monitor, I was thinking of your LW experience and that nice speed demon of yours while writing this post

Yeah, I should've sent it to JL. I deeply regret right now I didn't. Body/sleeve slimming would've cost me $250. Shipping was the problem, as always but still better than two grands...

They told me they got quite a few LW's for the exact same alteration I wanted and that it always turns out great. That jacket was worth it. Would've been absolutely perfect that way but...

jonbuilder

I call JL today Alan out to Aug Damon said he could do all the alteration I asked about and Alan will review if I email pictures and write the alterations I am looking for. Base lin about $300 to taper sleeves and bring in the shoulders, $400 to also bring in the body while doing the sleeves and shoulders.
So I would be into the jacket for $800, the $375 it cost me shipped and $425 for the alteration. I know if I sell the jacket at some later date I will not recap the $425, the jacket may appeal to a larger audience without the balloon sleeves.
There are Connolly jackets about there to be had in my size for less than $500 but not based on the design that Scott made under the perfecto label and Johny wore in Wild ones. I like the pockets arrangement and hardware on this Aero interpretation of the design. Aero is not a vintage jacket IMO. I consider Aero jackets reproductions and not collectibles so I do not see an Aero jacket as an investment, I would be putting out $400 to have a wearable jacket I feel good about. I think a better use of funds than buying a new jacket only to sell it within 3 months for 50% of cost.

jonbuilder

Jon I think you are asking good questions here. Sounds like Johnson's could do the work and likey you would be happy with the end result. Especially if you could take it to them in person and they could measure you directly. It may cost more than you expect, and likely you may not ever get that out of the jacket either.

Overall, the "pre-owned" jacket market is a bit saturated just now, so prices are lower and it seems to take longer to sell than normal. Much of this is Covid-19 uncertainity and will eventually stabilize (we hope.)

While having the Tauber's jacket re-lined, Dena at Great leather asked if I wanted to have the sleeves lengthed. She mentioned that as possible due to the amount of de-construction she would have to do to fit the new lining. However it meant utilizing something of non-matching leather to make the adjustments. Ultimately I passed for two reasons: 1. to preserve the original staus of the jacket and 2. The Pit to PIt is simply too narrow for me, as were the shoulders to a lessor degree. The jacket length is also to short. That's a 60-70 year old horsehide jacket, it just needs to move along to someone who can really fit it.
I would not consider trying to remake a leather jacket larger because of the leather patching required. I would not make an alteration on 60-year-old rare vintage jackets only repairs so the jacket is wearable. I also do not mind wearing vintage jackets with the proportions they were designed with like short-waisted half belts and motorcycle jackets.

Hh121

Banned
Alteration cost too much, the result usually doesn't match the price you paid (I know it's a difficult job) unless you ask the manufacturer to do it.

Rosecitymike

One of the Regulars
I’m glad you started this thread. I too have a Connolly HWM that’s near perfect except the sleeves are too short. It would be worth it to me to get the sleeves longer (and perhaps taper the waist) because I doubt I’d consider moving it on with such changes. Think I’ll get hold of Alan and see what’s possible.

ProteinNerd

I've tried a few times to have some custom alterations (but nothing as big a job as resizing the shoulders) and I ended up selling both as the end result wasn't really what I was after. I'm going agains the grain her but in my experience it isn't worth it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I call JL today Alan out to Aug Damon said he could do all the alteration I asked about and Alan will review if I email pictures and write the alterations I am looking for. Base lin about $300 to taper sleeves and bring in the shoulders, $400 to also bring in the body while doing the sleeves and shoulders.
So I would be into the jacket for $800, the $375 it cost me shipped and $425 for the alteration. I know if I sell the jacket at some later date I will not recap the $425, the jacket may appeal to a larger audience without the balloon sleeves.
There are Connolly jackets about there to be had in my size for less than $500 but not based on the design that Scott made under the perfecto label and Johny wore in Wild ones. I like the pockets arrangement and hardware on this Aero interpretation of the design. Aero is not a vintage jacket IMO. I consider Aero jackets reproductions and not collectibles so I do not see an Aero jacket as an investment, I would be putting out $400 to have a wearable jacket I feel good about. I think a better use of funds than buying a new jacket only to sell it within 3 months for 50% of cost.

Johnny wore a Durable, not a Schott...
I think that whatever you do you won't recoup the money you have spent, i have had a Schott adjusted and i was still not sattisfied with the fit, in retrospect i should just not have bought that jacket, i should have bought a jacket that fit. Now i have an altered jacket that is worth less than what i spent on it, that i can't really sell without loosing a bunch of money...

jonbuilder

I’m glad you started this thread. I too have a Connolly HWM that’s near perfect except the sleeves are too short. It would be worth it to me to get the sleeves longer (and perhaps taper the waist) because I doubt I’d consider moving it on with such changes. Think I’ll get hold of Alan and see what’s possible.
I think the difficulty you will have with lengthening the sleeves on a Connolly jacket is the miss-match patch at the sleeve cuff

dannyk

One Too Many
It all comes down to will you keep it? Connolly isn’t used anymore and is rare. If you think it’s a “grail” jacket and will be with you a while, then do it. There’s really no price ya crazy jacket guys have that makes something worth it or not, if you really want it. If you’re on the fence not certain then don’t touch it. Sell it. We always lose money that’s the name of the game. So I would take some time to really think it over. If you think the alterations will make it something you’ll have with you for the next 20 years then do it. Like I said no price stands in the way of things we love. But if you have to ask and are wondering I would say just let it go. Don’t get deep into the cost and then have something you’re just going to sell and lose even more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner