Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this Belstaff look genuine?

Anything stand out in particular?

Everything, although nothing I can point a finger at but I have seen & handled several Belstaff Cougar jackets and all were made from infinitely nicer leather. This one seems to be made in that heavily coated, mediocre hide that isn't compatible to what I personally expect from Belstaff.

Stitching is sub-par, too. The jacket just doesn't look like those that I had seen but Belstaff has been pretty inconsistent in production in the last two decades so I can't tell you anything with complete certainty.

Laurus

Familiar Face
Everything, although nothing I can be 100% sure of but I've seen & handled several Belstaff Cougar jackets and all were made from infinitely nicer leather. This one seems to be made in that heavily coated, mediocre hide that isn't compatible to what I personally expect from Belstaff.

Stitching is sub-par, too. The jacket just doesn't look like those that I had seen but Belstaff has been pretty inconsistent in production in the last two decades so I can't tell you anything with complete certainty.
Something I noticed as well, is the sleeve logo doesn't match the one's I've seen in other photos of this jacket. Not sure if it could be a different generation of the same jacket but everything else seems to be O.K.

Are there any tell-tale things to look for in a Belstaff jacket that I should ask for from the seller?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-105041.png
    Screenshot_20220807-105041.png
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20220807-105315.png
    Screenshot_20220807-105315.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20220807-105404.png
    Screenshot_20220807-105404.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 75

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The guy has a zillion Belstaff jackets on ebay rn, are all of them fake? He has 100% feedback. My bet is they are all Belstaffs, just crappy leather, lol.

Laurus

Familiar Face
The guy has a zillion Belstaff jackets on ebay rn, are all of them fake? He has 100% feedback. My bet is they are all Belstaffs, just crappy leather, lol.
It's weird though because it just seems a bit... Off. I've asked the seller and they say it's cowhide, are most Belstaff's (or this particular model of Belstaff) usually cowhide?

If I knew there were any tell-tale signs, like the product number in the chest pocket of a schott, then I'd be able to ask them for it. Unfortunately I have no experience with Belstaff though.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
So hard to tell with Belstaff, these days.

I agree that the whole jacket looks off - if one were to compare it to an "older" Cougar/Gangster model. Since they´ve gone all fashion, I simply don´t dare make a guess any more, as the quality seems to have changed so drastically over the past years.

I would say, an OTR Cougar/Gangster would have been in the ballpark of EUR 1.000 (or slightly thereunder) 15 odd years ago. Now they are rather EUR 1.500.
I can´t say, of course, but it may well be that the seller picked up a whole shipload of unsold pre-pre-season models (c.f. the "unsusual" colour) and sells them for prices where quality becomes relative. Fast-fashion, eh...?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21