Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this fedora look too tall on me?

Torpedo

One Too Many
rrog said:
I wish you'd have told me that before I ordered the Fed IV. I'm not short but I definitely don't have Harrison Ford's face! :eusa_doh:
rrog

Hi, I think Baron Kurtz may be referring to the earlier "standard" Indy hat dimensions. For a considerable time, Indy lore had it that the Raiders hat was 6'' tall; add to this that the centerdent crease it has does not lower the tall appearance; plus the wide brim; and, indeed, you have a hat that will not suit a lot of people. The widely popular Fed III had those dimensions.

Later, it was agreed that 5 1/2'' was the correct height, which places it in a more comfortable measure. The present Fed IV has this height.

You have to keep in mind many Indy fans will wear the hat they believe is the "authentic" one, independently of its dimensions really suiting them or not. Mostly, they will disregard scaling it down, for instance, because, in their eyes, that would detract of its "authenticity".

Hardcore Indy hat fans are a different world. This is not meant as a disrespect - it is just that they understanding, knowledge and viewpoint of "hat things" is absolutely IJ-centered. I have to say, people who are hat fans first and Indy hat fans second (or both at the same level) are a different sort of individual. You will find many of them here at the Lounge ;) .

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I think we are all unanimous in it looks great...

Anyone ever tell you that you look a bit like Anthony Hopkins in that hat??

I too find women like the fedoras.

I posted where a guy at a party make a crack about my hat but 3 different women spoke right up about how nice it looked........

Maybe we are on to something here... Fedora = Babe Magnet :D :eusa_clap

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Ordinary Guy said:
I too find women like the fedoras.

I posted where a guy at a party make a crack about my hat but 3 different women spoke right up about how nice it looked........

Maybe we are on to something here... Fedora = Babe Magnet :D :eusa_clap

as a "babe" I can say that, I for one find a fedora intriguing and dashing. I'm quite used to men in hats, but rarely see a fedora...usually a cowboy or baseball hat. However a fedora :p is just a little bit [huh] ;)

and most girls I know agree.

Torpedo said:
Hi, I think Baron Kurtz may be referring to the earlier "standard" Indy hat dimensions. For a considerable time, Indy lore had it that the Raiders hat was 6'' tall; add to this that the centerdent crease it has does not lower the tall appearance; plus the wide brim; and, indeed, you have a hat that will not suit a lot of people. The widely popular Fed III had those dimensions.

Later, it was agreed that 5 1/2'' was the correct height, which places it in a more comfortable measure. The present Fed IV has this height.

You have to keep in mind many Indy fans will wear the hat they believe is the "authentic" one, independently of its dimensions really suiting them or not. Mostly, they will disregard scaling it down, for instance, because, in their eyes, that would detract of its "authenticity".

Hardcore Indy hat fans are a different world. This is not meant as a disrespect - it is just that they understanding, knowledge and viewpoint of "hat things" is absolutely IJ-centered. I have to say, people who are hat fans first and Indy hat fans second (or both at the same level) are a different sort of individual. You will find many of them here at the Lounge ;) .

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post!

Thanks for this info. As an Indiana Jones hater, i don't keep up with these matters. I was indeed talking about the previous hats. 6 3/4 or 8 1/2, it don't matter: the crown is 6" high! Ridiculous.

bk

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Dear Portolan,

As many others have said, the crown is fine in proportions with your head. I would recommend flipping up the back of the brim for this hat, the earlier hats of the 10s to early 30s can go brim down all around, but that's if you're looking to look early 20th Century. The hat you bought is late 1940s which means that for the hat to look at it's best, wear it as it would have originally. Also, wear the hat to one angle, this gives it more attitude and sells it to others that you know how to wear a hat. ;)

Fedora3.jpg

That hat is a nice one, I'd be proud to wear one like it! Just flip up the back brim and enjoy, that's all!

By the way, the crown on the cowboy hat you're wearing in your default photo looks taller then this fedora! Just something I noticed.

Peaceful John

New in Town
Portolan, the hat looks great on you. Years ago I was told that crown height (measured from where the bottom of the band touches your forehead) should be equal to the distance between that same spot on the band and your chin. Don't know if that's true -- others on the forum are probably more knowledgeable than I -- but I've been using that guideline for quite a while and am generally pleased with the results.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Peaceful John said:
Portolan, the hat looks great on you. Years ago I was told that crown height (measured from where the bottom of the band touches your forehead) should be equal to the distance between that same spot on the band and your chin. Don't know if that's true -- others on the forum are probably more knowledgeable than I -- but I've been using that guideline for quite a while and am generally pleased with the results.

I'm interested in this idea of wearing hats proportioned to the face and body. Does anyone else know additional lore or rules of thumb of this sort? And what about hat color in relation to complexion, etc? Does anyone know of a place where these notions are discussed? E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy