Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this seem suspicious to you?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
moehawk: You have absolutely nothing to excuse. I fully understand your frustrations. You may try one of the (hobby-)suppliers of hat and millinery tools and materials. Try to look at Judith M (Tonak and maybe others) or Manhatco (don't know from where they source). Both also stock other (hobby-)hatter supplies.

Thanks, but no - I'm not a celeb around here. I'm also far from being among the substantial collectors on TFL. You can't even dream of the unbelievable pieces of felt-art, some loungers own - or the amount some possess. A year ago I decided to move from Copenhagen to Nashville, and that stirred up quite some interest with the Americans on the site. Unfortunately it turned out to be way too expensive to get a visa with work permit - even when I was bringing my own work and a solid Danish paycheck every month. I'm sure, there are very good reasons for such a policy, but I just had a hard time, seeing the logic through MY frustrations. There you go ... ;)

Anyway, I'm just a pretty average member of this fantastic family - and what you have experienced in this thread, is just the way, one is bid welcome after a temporary AWAL'ing. This is truely an amazing place to be, if you want to enjoy - and/or learn about - hats. Even though you have been here for a while, please let me bid you welcome :)

Steve: That looks like a really nice "******", you're showing. Do you have anything to say about the quality of Tonak's longhair types?

PS: *ROFLMAO* ... what on Earth is wrong with the word "h i p p i e" - without the spaces ...?!??!!!
It seems, that TFL's ever aware word-patrol finds it a "dirty" word and substitutes it with stars. Talking about cultural differences! :rofl:

Last edited:
Ole, They sent some Velour samples that seemed to be of good quality. I lost them along with the color card.

Some more info (the color was a lighter metal gray).

The color n. 6286 is our old color (old code). But we still made this color. It is not in new shadecard only.
The Special Velour Monsun is finish with long hair.
We are able to smooth hair ( go side to side).
The Special Velour Platino is made from 100% hare fur.
The Special Velour Monsun is made from 90% hare fur and 10% rabbit fur.

I ran into Gary White (The Custom Hatter) a number of weeks ago - he mentioned that he was bringing in an order of velour bodies from Tonak... perhaps the last place to source such an animal today?

FEPSA also has Velour and Melusine (100% Hare) but I don't have any experience with them. I believe Optimo Chicago uses them. There is also PolkaP out of Poland.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-h%C3%BCckel%C2%B4s-s%C3%B6hne-h%C3%BCckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/?view=findpost&p=963

I think with Tonak it would help to visit the factory and establish a contact. From my experience they are willing but they have minimum order quantities.

Another possible felt source is ŠEŠIR, d.d., Škofja Loka, Slovenia.

http://www.bizi.si/SESIR-D-D-SKOFJA-LOKA/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?75274-Eastern-European-Hats-and-Makers&p=1723462&viewfull=1#post1723462

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Steve: Thanks. It looks really interesting!

perhaps the last place to source such an animal today?

Hi Alan, we were just talking about you ("[...] the substantial collectors on TFL") ;)

FEPSA also makes very fine velour and melusine finishes. I believe, Optimo use FEPSA-felt for their longhair - but as you know, I'm well trained in being wrong :D

Edit: Well, Steve says so too. Comforting! ;)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TY for the suggestions, Ole. I have looked at those sites before, have bought felt from Leko and Manny's, both Czech rabbit. The manhatco site I've skimmed but looked like more of the same stuff. I just got Winchester's contact info in an email fron Stratton hats, so I'm going to check (I almost typed czech ☺) them out in a bit.
Mayser, thats some nice looking felt. Manny's has velours for fairly cheap, I wonder if they are Tonak. Can't imagine there's too many felt factories in CR.
Alan, I was hoping Ole had a collection that could rival yours, but I guess thats a hard thing to do...

Mayser, thats some nice looking felt. Manny's has velours for fairly cheap, I wonder if they are Tonak. Can't imagine there's too many felt factories in CR.

If it's from the Czech Republic it's from Tonak. You also have PolkaP in Poland. Tonak has a large product line and getting the type (not millinery) desired color, finish and quality might be difficult without a relationship with the factory.

I've been told by a fellow lounger that Mayser uses Tonak. But remember, cash is always better than a Czech.

That is highly possible but I would guess it's not exclusive. Mayser has really cut back on their master hat catalog since moving all production to Slovakia back in 2011. I am not sure when they stopped making felt but my guess is in the 1990s maybe earlier.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Steven,

Have you ever considered reviving that Tonak project? There might be enough interested Loungers to make it work.

I have been told Optimo uses FEPSA bodies. I have both satin finish and longhair Optimo hats and they are very nice felts. The longhair finish is similar to the Tonak example Steven posted.

But I've never seen anything at Optimo that looks like some of Steven's vintage velours, which are out of this world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR