Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does this shirt look "retro?"

green papaya

One Too Many
IM000996.jpg

I picked up this shirt today at ROSS

it's by a company called "Claiborne"

made in Indonesia

the pattern looks similiar to traditional Indonesian / Javanese

"Batik"

on sale for $17.99 [originally priced at $69.50]

kind of reminds me of a shirt from the mid 1950's era?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My store carries Claiborne. Most of the shirts are retro inspired. Last summer they put out several short sleeve 50's style knits. They are pricey when new..average retail 59.50-69.50. They do always turn up in off price stores though, like Ross, Marshalls, etc. Good find!

1950s? Honestly? No. Okay, that's brutal but I had to say it. I see lots of this style shirt today, retro inspired but not quite right. When I see them, I'm reminded of the shirts Chandler wore on Friends. Here are some others from daddyo clothing: http://www.daddyos.com/retro/retromn1.html

I had thought of ordering one or two but then saw them in a store. Or rather touched them. The material and cut just isn't there. Yeah, they have the diamonds or stars, and the cocktail glasses say 50s, but when you start to collect real 50s shirts and compare them to the retro-inspired of today you can find the differences in embroidery, stitching, and material. But I will say that Wilkie Rodriguez does produce rather well-made 50s inspired lounge shirts. Not all of them are great, you have to dig through the racks, but I have found one or two that I thought pretty close to 50s contruction. Look for their stuff in Macy's and Filene's.

Regards and Good Luck,

Senator Jack

flat-top

Senator Jack said:
1950s? Honestly? No. Okay, that's brutal but I had to say it. I see lots of this style shirt today, retro inspired but not quite right. When I see them, I'm reminded of the shirts Chandler wore on Friends. Here are some others from daddyo clothing: http://www.daddyos.com/retro/retromn1.html

I had thought of ordering one or two but then saw them in a store. Or rather touched them. The material and cut just isn't there. Yeah, they have the diamonds or stars, and the cocktail glasses say 50s, but when you start to collect real 50s shirts and compare them to the retro-inspired of today you can find the differences in embroidery, stitching, and material. But I will say that Wilkie Rodriguez does produce rather well-made 50s inspired lounge shirts. Not all of them are great, you have to dig through the racks, but I have found one or two that I thought pretty close to 50s contruction. Look for their stuff in Macy's and Filene's.

Regards and Good Luck,

Senator Jack
Agreed! Nothing compares to original vintage. The Chandler comment is correct, and also, Charlie Sheen on his new show wears this type of shirt exclusively. BUT, if you don't have acess to actual 50's shirts, there's nothing wrong with these to get a retro look.

Twitch

It sure is 50-ISH but as everyone said it looks like they're trying too hard to retro-ize it. Then again it will say 50s to MOST people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot