Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does washing/soaking leather jackets substantially harm them or weaken the leather?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The old Aero Irvin shearling was very teddy bearish and kind of stiff, so I can understand why Soren did it - it certainly looks better for the 'abuse'. Has it changed the way it 'handles' much?
I only kept the jacket 'bout half a year after the treatment, then it went to one of our distinguished members in the US of A. But I can only say, that it became a bit "hard and stiff" on the surface until I treated it with Peckards - AND started to use it a lot.
After that it actually became softer. And the fleece was just as I wanted it to bee, feel and look. Which btw also added to the softness.
The jacket actually became more "flexible" so to speak. Because of the "shorter" and not so teddybear and stiff fleece.

Golden

Familiar Face
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ing-vintage-jackets&highlight=one+man's+guide

Wash in cold, air dry, and you'll see essentially zero shrinkage. In fact it's possible to lengthen the sleeves by weighting them.

Whoa!!

washed it about an hour ago in the tub with all natural "animal show" shampoo...
had to rinse it 3 times for all the brown die coming off either the leather or the wool.
It was running off when I fist began to wet it. Its an older jacket with the leather drying out in places.
I intend to condition it when it dries.

going for the wool shrink, its a little too puffy for my likes.

-GB

Willybob

A-List Customer
Ive never seen the need to "wash" the exterior of my jackets. A wipe down with a damp cloth occasionally does the trick for me. The liner is more of a concern to me. I never wear my leather over a short sleeve shirt, to avoid sweat and body oils soiling the sleeve liners. Still, over time the liner at the pits can get "personalized" from sweat. My solution is to turn the jacket inside out, spray the liner with a thinned down Woolite solution, let soak and rinse with the garden hose. The leather does get wet from the back side but exposure to soap is minimal. I have seen no adverse effects. Let hang dry and wear. No shrinkage at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner