Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your vintage wardrobe have to match your vintage house?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
(and a lot of bungalows updated with steel appliances, granite counter tops, and hotel style bathrooms-blech!).
Nice sight Marsha! I've been house hunting for the past year, I feel like Goldie Locks, to big, way to small. Most of the Victorian houses have been updated some time in their life, the worst hands down is the 50s remodels, just strip the sole out! As for modern, the stainless appliances I notice are not to bad, if the owner uses period cabinets, and a gas range. Seems like a gas range just looks old even when it's modern. Just missed out on an 1889 by a lousy $10,000, man that hurts. The upstairs bath need expanding, my plan was to take out a wall to the third bedroom and expand the bath and have a walk in closet, all done with the original molding. And most importantly, I would have kept the Claw Foot Tub!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I'm just grazing for a house at the moment. Until I speak to a loan officer, it's all just window shopping :)
It's almost a given that in any older house, the kitchen is the room most likely to have been renovated. I can deal with that. But some things just make me cringe.

The evidence: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/403-Boyd-Mill-Ave_Franklin_TN_37064_M79665-85802

When I first saw this house, my heart went *pitty pat*. It's in an area I like, the size is right, and the price might be doable. After investigating, I found out that the previous owner had lost it to foreclosure, and had apparently bought it to "flip it". Dang his black-hearted soul. The exterior is perfect. The interior? 1990s generic condo. There is nothing inside that suits the house. When I have a loan in hand I'll probably need counseling to help me cope with all of the re-muddles I'm going to see.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Joel, I think your questions are multi-layered.

First, go with a style and vintage that when you see it, and are in it, makes you feel comfortable. I live in a house right now that I would never have chosen to live in. In fact, it may be my least favorite style house ever. But I'm here and I know that eventually, I will move on.

Second, the importance of matching the decade of your clothing and house is something that only you could know. For me, personally, it means nothing, but for you, deep down, it may be just as important as the layout of the house. But when the right house comes along, you'll walk in and you'll know it, whether it matches your clothing or not.

And third, on a somewhat tangential note, don't take the sarcastic replies to heart. Some people apparently cannot help themselves. It's not a reflection on you personally.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'm just grazing for a house at the moment. Until I speak to a loan officer, it's all just window shopping :)
It's almost a given that in any older house, the kitchen is the room most likely to have been renovated. I can deal with that. But some things just make me cringe.

The evidence: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/403-Boyd-Mill-Ave_Franklin_TN_37064_M79665-85802

When I first saw this house, my heart went *pitty pat*. It's in an area I like, the size is right, and the price might be doable. After investigating, I found out that the previous owner had lost it to foreclosure, and had apparently bought it to "flip it". Dang his black-hearted soul. The exterior is perfect. The interior? 1990s generic condo. There is nothing inside that suits the house. When I have a loan in hand I'll probably need counseling to help me cope with all of the re-muddles I'm going to see.

Thats a nice house on the outside! One nice thing about doing so much looking, I have learned a lot about what looks good in a remodel and what looks like, well, you know what. If you have to take out a wall between two rooms that have nice crown molding or plaster details, make an arch! It will save you time in the long run, and it preserves the character of the house. They now make refrigerator doors that will take wood veneer, blends right in with the cabinets, and use soap stone instead of granite. And the price of the fake carage door garage doors has dropped dramatically, makes the garage look over 100 years old! Unfortunately Stucco is cheap right now, and there are many nice old Victorian Bungalows that now look like 50s shoe boxs thanks to the new siding. At least do the front in a stone veneer with old details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24