Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doesn't Beauty Start With A Smile?

Lillemor

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
There are the odd madmen who think it wrong to smile!

Back when I was managing a vintage store, one day a man walked in, I said the usual, "hi, let me know if you need any help" and he said
"I want to see the manager."
"I am the manager, how may I help you?"
"Then I want to see someone else!"
So I turned to my (highly amused) co-worker and said, "perhaps you can handle this?"
I went to the opposite end of the very small shop, and overheard:
"Yes, sir, what can I do for you?"
"Make her stop smiling at me!"

Okay? Isn't that just plain weird? Ah, the joys of working with the public.

Oh, I've upset people too by being too friendly and smiling when I worked at KFC for a while. I'm not fake, that's just the way I usually am and I won't change!

I do feel it's the most polite thing to smile at people, especially in smaller towns or when there aren't that many people around. I definitely smile if I make eye contact with someone but some do take it all wrong.

Some ladies will clutch their handbags close and nearly break into a run. Some men mistake a smile with flirting. That makes me feel self conscious. Being polite and of a sunny disposition shouldn't make one self conscious.

lillielil

Familiar Face
I smile all the time in real life, but I turn it off in pictures. One of my eyes squints a whole lot more than the other when I smile, and it always makes me dislike otherwise good photos. It's too bad, really, because I love my teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL